close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ok, I think I decided on .380...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Metal Angel, Jul 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    So I have been looking for a pocket gun for a long time now... My funds don't exactly allow me to buy a gun on a whim, so I do tons of research while I save up.

A couple years ago, when I first started carrying, my philosophy was "buy the biggest thing I can carry". So I bought a Glock 19. That philosophy has merit, because it ensures I have plenty of firepower- except when the 19 is too big to carry- and then I'm really under gunned.

Which brings me to the philosophy for my next purchase. "Buy something I will have no excuse not to carry. A J-frame is probably small enough, but I can still imagine myself leaving it behind sometimes, and I want something I will never leave behind. So .380 it is. Not real fond of the round, but my 19 will still be on me as often as possible.

I think I have decided on the LCP. Good reputation, tiny, cheap... But it's not real attractive... Any others I should look at? I decided against the Sig 238 for now- if my carry gun has a safety, I want it ambi, and by the time you get ambi safeties on the 238 it's too thick. Not really into the Bodygaurd... It's even less attractive than the LCP IMO. I think the NAA guardian looks neat, but I don't know anything about it... Does anyone else? I'm oddly attracted to the MRI Micro Deagle... Again, haven't heard anything about it. I know it's blowback which would restrict me to standard pressure loads (right?) and may affect reliability...

Anyone have experience with any of these guns? Or know any I should be considering? Which would YOU get?

2. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    I cracked up when I saw the ad,
    "The .380 was a cute fad. NOW SPRINGFIELD ARMORY GETS BACK TO BUSINESS.”

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...e-springfield-xd-s-the-next-big-little-thing/

Pretty much sums it up for me.

I experienced penetration failures in extreme cold weather with a 380! Maybe it was the cold, maybe it was the ammo, or maybe it was the backstop.

However, 9mm punched on through.

Now, if I am dressed to where I can't conceal at least a 9mm I go back and dress different.

If I really must go smaller and lighter I use a S&W 360PD. That little J-frame in my short's pocket has never pulled my pants down.

[​IMG]

Specifications -
    Caliber: .357 Magnum, .38 Special +P, .38 Special
    Action: revolving chamber
    Length: 6.375 in
    Width: 1.312 in
    Height: 4.25 in
    Cylinder Capacity: 5 rounds
    Barrel Length: 1.875 in
    Rifling: 5-grooves, RH twist
    Trigger: double-action
    Sights: red ramp front, fixed notch rear
    Weight Empty: 11.3 oz
    Weight Loaded: 13.7oz

Features -
    Titanium cylinder.
    Scandium/aluminum alloy frame.
    Black anodized finish.
    Stainless steel barrel tube.
    Hogue Bantam Monogrip.

I'll bet your family is worth the extra hassle and expense

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

3. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    I'm with bustedknee. I prefer a J-frame for a tiny gun (smaller than a sub-compact). I've handled the mouse-guns, and they just didn't do it for me.

4. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    I've had 2 LCP's and they were both great guns. I just didn't like the round. I ended-up with a PF9 and couldn't be happier.
    If you decide to stick with the .380 you won't be disappointed with the LCP.
    Oh, and seriously consider these:
    http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=216

5. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Texas
    When I read that I had to check the username because I could have posted the exact same thing. For me, G19 for normal carry. The LCP is my second option if I can't carry the G19. It is super easy to conceal and throw in my pocket. I had a tough time choosing between the Sig P238 or the Ruger LCP, but decided to go with the LCP. The size and weight is really what sold me. Price wasn't bad either.

When I was considering the Sig P238, I also looked at the P239. I was thinking, well it's only a tad bigger, but it would be a 9mm. I started playing just a little bit bigger game, and started considering the G26 as a pocket gun. That's when I decided that I really just wanted the smallest and lightest of the bunch and the .380 ACP should do just fine. If I couldn't carry my G19, I wanted a gun I could for sure carry.

6. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Yes. Exactly. If my G19 is too big for a particular ensemble, the G26, PPS, Shield, XDS, etc... are too big also. If I can carry in my waistband, my G19 conceals just fine. If I can't conceal it in my waistband, I can't conceal anything in my waistband.

The main purpose of this firearm is for work. I'm an HVAC tech and often have to bend over in front of customers... I tried my 19 IWB for a while and in the winter, I can kind of make it work with a jacket, but in the summer I have to bend at all kinds of strange angles to make the grip stay discrete. But the last straw was when I got stuck under a duct because my G19 grip was sticking up as I went crawling under. I have to overcome a little bit of claustrophobia for my job anyway, and I don't need something sticking out getting hung up on stuff when I'm crawling.

I will get a J-frame someday as well, but I can foresee issues with the cylinder gouging my leg while I'm crawling, so I want something flat for now. Can't get much flatter than the LCP.

7. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

My dad carries a Kel-Tec PF-9 in a pocket holster and loves it! GREAT GUN TOO!!!

Also check out the Kahr CM9 for around $400.

TGG

8. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    My EDC is a Kahr PM9, but there are those times when I need to deep CC and nothing fits my needs like my Kel Tec P3at. I've owned it now for about three years and it's been very reliable with about 800 to 1000 round through it. Still has every original part still in it..

9. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    I have a G26, Kahr CM9, J frame, and LCP. Nothing carries like the LCP. Get the LCP you can not go wrong. 7 .380's will do the job in a SD situation.

10. Dawolf

Dawolf

Sep 18, 2010
    Arizona
    I love my PPK, unbelievably accurate, but I am realistic, it is still a 380. The DA is horrible, but SA very good. LCP DA always sucks. The good news is that LAPD approved the 380 as a B.U.G. if loaded with Hornady Critical Defense.

11. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    The PPK is one of the sexiest autos ever IMO and some day I will have to own one, however, from a practical standpoint there are many 9mm pistols as small as a PPK these days. I want smaller.

12. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Jan 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    My man, I went down this road multiple times with various .380s and have had nothing but heartache. I'd LOVE to be able to carry a reliable .380 for the sheer size, but I simply have not found one yet. You name it, I tried it. I decided to go with a Ruger LCR .38+p and am very happy. Still like the tiny size of the .380s but not worth any more frustration and wasted ammo.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    An LCP with a Nemesis pocket holster. Ladies have their 'lite days', we can too. One just has to be aware of the limitations, & use the best ammo available(90 grn Speer & similar). When it comes to 'deep cover', the LCP is the ticket.

14. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

Same goes for my P-32 but I have owned it for about five years. Keep it clean and it will be ready to defend your life effectively!!!

I think snubbie .38s are a waste of money - a small 9mm is the better way to go.....IMO.

TGG

15. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    I agree with you for the most part. You can get a 9mm these days just as small as a snubbie and you have a longer barrel, more capacity, and faster reloads.

However, I do think there is something to be said for a revolvers ability to work properly no matter who is grabbing it or what it is shoved up against. I suppose if someone grabbed the cylinder hard enough it would be difficult to pull the trigger... But that seems somewhat unlikely.

16. dcc12

dcc12

Nov 30, 2010
    Say what you want about the 380, First shooting I ever worked as a paramedic was a woman that was shot with a 380. She was very dead when we got there and she remained as such all the way to the Trauma Center.

17. ActionExpress

ActionExpress

Jul 14, 2012
    Yep, not to mention a certain fascist ended his own life with a .32.

18. hoghunter82

hoghunter82 FL Glocker #182

Jan 21, 2011
    Central Florida
    To clarify, I am in no way arguing the lethality of the .380 or .32 for that matter. I am simply referring to the functionality in my own personal experience. The LCR works for me functionally and I don't have any concerns about the lethality.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. HeliGlock

HeliGlock HeliGlock

Jan 16, 2011
    Florida
    Walther PPK in the 380, is a Excellent Choice. 1000 Rounds thru mine in the last 4 months, and not a Hiccup. Down here works Great with the Heat, and a perfect pocket gun. Just my 2 cents.