Oiling a new 590A1

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Vigilant, Jan 15, 2013.

1. What kind of oil do y'awl recommend for this, and do you do anything different the first time on a new gun?

I have used spray Rem Oil in the past, but I would think there is probably something even better out now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    What do you consider to be "spoiling a child"? The Okie Corral May 17, 2014
    Oiling a New Leather Holster (Inside) Carry Issues Mar 24, 2014
    Bill Whittle on point again Frog boiling The Okie Corral Feb 4, 2014
    Seems like Putin is spoiling for a fight! The Okie Corral Dec 27, 2013
    Glocks-Storage and oiling? General Glocking Jul 5, 2013

3. I'm sorry man but you have 6,779 posts and you haven't seen an oil or lube thread yet ?

4. Im also curious about this. Lots of experience lubing and cleaning pistols and rifles but none with pump shotguns. My new mossberg is unfired but 3 years old sitting in a safe. Im sure it needs some lube.
  5. Maybe it would have just been easier to just answer the question. We all need help sometime. :wavey:
    #4 Lugi, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

6. I've done this to all my guns...and my last two 590A1's one of them where just the other day.

I take off the barrel and the trigger housing...and then gut the receiver, (I USE CLP) hit all the parts with the clp, run a wet patch threw the barrel and let them sit....the longer the better. Then take a brush and scrub everything.

Wipe clean and run a thin coat of clp on everything. put it back together and do a function test....and booooom you good to go! :supergrin:
    #5 Lugi, Jan 17, 2013
  7. I switched over to Froglube because its non toxic and smells better than nitro solvent and gun oil. Its a cleaner and a lube. I wipe all metal parts down and all internal parts too. Easy peasy.
    #6 Slackinoff, Jan 17, 2013
  8. Mobil 1 for all my firearms lubrication needs :)
  9. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Hate me, but Rem gun oil still works. I've looked at all the different oils and water based lubricants and just feel safe with the tried and true, non-corrosive, moisture protective Remington oil.

Use little oil as a lot is not needed and keep it out of any firing pin mechanisms and the barrel. Also out of the tube so as to not foul the shells.

OK. tell me how wrong this is.
  10. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

Weapon Shield is my choice for gun care. I have not found a better product that does it all. Bill
  11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member

12. go to your nearest gas station and buy a quart of 10w30. That should last you a lifetime.
  13. I use Tetra gun lube for my long guns. On my 590A1 I lube the forend rails, the sides of the bolt, & around the inside. Not much is needed. Also put a light coat with your finger on the barrel & exterior. The finish is parkarized & the oil is sucked into the coating & protects the finish.
  14. I appreciate the input. I ended up doing what I know best: I doused the outside metal down with Rem Oil. Sprayed a little in the breech, but not on the bolt face.

Now, if I can just find some paper targets that don't shoot back, I'll be content for a while.
  15. First of all it doesn't matter what lube you use. It is a pump shotgun and America has been building them for over 110 years. All modern pumps are bullet proof. You don't even need to oil it to make it work. However lubricating it will make it easier to use and last longer.

Also you can't over lubricate it. I know some one will tell us different but if you soaked it in a tub of oil and lift it out and let the oil run off and out of the bore it will work fine. However you will get messy.:whistling:

So don't fear oiling you Mossberg.

Disassemble you gun down to it's basic parts. Receiver, trigger group and forearm assemble.

Clean all the soot, gunk and dirt off and out of each part. Wipe off solvent. Now you can oil all moving parts where they meet other moving parts.

Or....you can spray with what ever lube you want inside of receiver, trigger group, the action bars of the forearm (slide) and the outside the the magazine tube. Wipe off excess and reassemble. Note WD 40 is not a gun oil but if you chose to use it everything thing would still work. Remember the thing about pumps being bullet proof.

If you do this it is more care than most pump shotguns get.

Enjoy your toy and keep shooting.:thumbsup:
  16. aptrpl6

aptrpl6 Detached Member

17. I duck hunt a LOT and constantly get my shotguns wet, muddy, and sooty from shooting. I use CLP or nitro solvent to clean and Rem Oil to lubricate periodically. Also wipe down after every hunt with a rag soaked in Rem Oil. Are there better products? Maybe, but this has worked for me and my guns, rifles, pump shotguns, and auto shotguns for 25 years, so why change. Also, I love the smell of solvents and gun oil. Brings back memories of my youth and shooting. Its just what guns are supposed to smell like to me.

As far as lubrication, I wouldn't overdo it if you're going to be in dusty conditions. Otherwise, have at it!!
    #16 Deadduck, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  18. CLP and Rem Oil has been my recipe as well.
  19. The first time you take it out of the box you'll notice the action just seems real cruddy. I detail stripped it, cleaned each part and inside the barrel with a good solvent then put a very thin coat of Ballistol on each part and run a soaked patch through the barrel before reassembling and wiping the exterior with an oily rag. You'll notice a much smoother action already and gets smoother with time and use. I like to detail clean it every once in awhile since it's a primary HD gun.
  20. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

LOL! Although I don't always commend snarky replies you made me literally laugh out loud.

There's more oil threads I think than caliber debates.

No Agenda Show
  21. xeojx

+1 for Frog Lube!!