close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Oh, thank god... back in municipal LE...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MeefZah, Aug 21, 2011.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I worked eleven years full time municipal LE with one agency from 1999 until early 2010. Had some issues with the boss, and showed myself to the door.

I took a job working as a university officer in mid-2010. University LE can be fun, it certainly had it's moments, and I still got to do a bit of "real" cop work backing up the municipality that the university is in. But... it's not municipal LE, and I missed the hell outta it.

Then, in early 2011, I took a part time job with the state as a police officer for the Department of Mental Health, 16 hours a week. For the past seven months I've been running back and forth between both jobs, typically working 60+ hours a week. The DMH Police job also offered some entertainment, but sure as hell wasn't where I wanted to be.

Over the 18 months between February 2010 and now, I've continued to apply at various municipal agencies, trying to get back into it. For several reasons, not the least of which is the turbulent economy and the glut of applicants in Ohio, I had a hard time making progress.

I did keep pretty detailed notes of my applications and status at various agencies (over the span of 18 months):

Miles driven for applications, testing, interviews: 4,000+
    Applications filed: 150
    Tests taken: 26
    Interviews: 21

This means I was averaging 1 application every 4 days, a test every 20 days, and an interview every 25 days for the last 540 days. Needless to say, I got pretty good at cranking out apps and answering interviewers. My test taking skills have reached the point where I am almost always in the top 3 candidates for every position now. I've gotten real close to several positions, but they always fell through.

At any rate, I finally, finally, secured a full time municipal job with a small city in eastern Ohio. They were looking to hire pretty quickly since their previous civil service test had expired and they had an opening. I tested, scored in the upper level (they wouldn't release the exact rankings), interviewed, got a conditional offer, passed the poly and psych, and have been hired. The entire process, from application to conditional offer, took twenty days. It went so fast I really didn't have time to think about it.

Tenative start date is September 11, 2011 - interestingly, on the ten year anniversary of 9/11.

I'm pretty excited. This is a gritty, decaying industrial city of 6000, and they have serious criminal issues there. Over 7000 criminal-based calls (not civil in nature) a year. The chief is awesome, the kind of guy you'd be lucky to work for. Money is good, benefits are decent, and there is a uniform allowance (what's that?), and full pension pickup by the city. FOP protection (I have to eat my anti-union posts now). Patrol rifles, patrol carbines (Beretta Storm, I think), tasers. Lots of toys. Relaxed uniform policy allows normal uniforms and external vest carriers / BDUs. K9 on duty when I am. FTO is projected to be just 6 weeks given my previous experience. Should be a good time!

I've given notice to both the state and the university, and am looking forward to getting back into municipal LE in what promises to be one busy little place. I am staying on part time at the university, just to keep a continuity of employment, since I was there just under a year.

For those of you still looking... keep the faith, brothers. Keep applying and testing, something will come along. If you are dedicated to being a cop, it's hard to keep you down forever.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Sounds like it was worth waiting for.

Best of luck.

3. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
  4. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

May 6, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    University Policing is NOTHING like a busy municipal police department.

I do less than 10% of the work I did as a city (maybe less than 5% even).

But, it's a great retirement job for cops who retired after 20-25 from a busy city, who are in their mid to late 40's.

The younger good University cops are constantly trying to get on with a city, or county LEO agency.

You're way too young now and belong in a busier city police job!

Congratulations.

JMHO :cool:

5. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    Close, but no.

6. First off, Congrats Brother and it's good to see that your determination, positive attitude and perseverance paid off..:thumbsup:.... You should consider putting pen to paper regarding your pre-employment experiences. Like I've suggested to others who are in the same boat as you, DON'T GIVE UP !!!! Use those "Thanks, but no thanks" letters as motivation to keep looking even harder for a LE position.

I feel your pain, as I've worked for both municipal and non-municipal PD's...

+1.....:wavey:

7. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Just found this post. Very glad for you. Good luck!

8. Whitey1

Whitey1 Large Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Ohio
    Congrats Meef! You're a great cop and have a true passion for LE. I can honestly say that for you it isn't about the power trip, it isn't because you enjoy giving out hickory shampoos, but it is because you actually crave the ability to help others and make a difference.

(the other stuff is just extra. lol)

Good Luck buddy!

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Let me offer congratulations to you. I hope it's what you expect (and ultimately continue to want) for a long term position.

If you're in your 30's (or close one way or the other) I just hope you used long term financial viability of the municipality and retirement contracts as one of your primary factors when deciding where to start shot-gunning the applications to that many agencies.

You're still single?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. Awesome, news, bro! :thumbsup:

Its a bit comforting to see that I'm not the only one that has been searching long and hard to find another gig. I applied with a large municipal agency months ago (amongst other places) and had really given up hope of them actually testing. Out of the blue I got a packet of info from them yesterday. As luck would have it, testing is scheduled to start the weekend my fiancee and I were planning a little vacation. :upeyes: Still, I'm thrilled to at least be testing and the trip can be rescheduled.

11. You should get yourself one of those nice double action only Berettas so the mags are interchangeable and you get used to that nice heavy trigger pull everytime... :whistling:

I carried a Beretta 96D for the first 8 years and my pet name was "that fu*#ing boat anchor on my hip."

Congrats!!!! :cool:

12. Hunca Munca

Hunca Munca nonplussed

Dec 20, 2006
    allegheny county
    Well, Youngstown is a dump....

Congrats on the job!

13. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I applied with a small 16 member agency, and got the call a few days ago that their agility test was when I was supposed to leave for competition coon hunting at Autumn Oaks in Indiana. I'll miss out at a trip I have been planning for months, to compete for one opening. I really hope its going to be worth it...

14. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Glad you caught a break finally! :thumbsup:

You get credit for the 11 years you already had in the state pension system...?

15. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    That was my name for the H&K USP 45 I carried for a few years. REALLY sucked during plainclothes details. Maybe it's just cuz I'm not an operator.

Anyway, congrats on the job! The way things are in Ohio (and Michigan), you really hit the jackpot. With any luck, I'll be posting something like this soon.

16. groovyash

groovyash

Aug 5, 2003
    I think it largely depends on where you are working with university policing. I worked for a large inner city univ. P.D. which covered about 2 square miles of city as it's jurisdiction before moving to the city dept itself. Now I'm looking to hopefully move to a suburban municipal dept in the next few years. To be honest at the Univ. PD I easily did two to three times as much actual police work as I will at nearly any department other than my current one. My former univ dept had OISs, pursuits, etc more than occasionally while I was there. We averaged just under 1000 arrests a year. Hell I always laugh that they had ARs in their cars before we got them in the city.

Conversely there were other univ depts in the city that were essentially security with arrest powers, i.e. never handled anything but what was on their property as opposed to their full jurisdiction, didn't really run traffic, etc.

Don't get me wrong there was a fair amount of BS there too, but I still get a little bit defensive when people make the blanket statement that muni and uni police are always different experiences. At least in this area the majority of municipal jobs outside of the city and a few boroughs are much less busy.