close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Officially FED UP With "Safety Inspections"

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by DreamWeaver88, Dec 28, 2006.

1. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

Mar 10, 2001
    Southeast Michigan
    So I'm on Christmas vacation earlier this week, and I decide to buy a gun on Tuesday. I take it to the Madison Heights police department for the "Safety Inspection" (Madison Heights' days for registration are Tuesday & Thursday from 1pm to 3:30pm), but they're on vacation. So I had to go back today (during work hours) and lose an hour and fifty minutes of pay.

There were 4 people ahead of me and it took an hour and twenty minutes. This is such a waste of my work time. I'm tired of it.

Wasn't there some new law or ruling that said they have to take care of registration and purchase permits during their normal business hours, not just on certain days and hours?????

DW

2. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Feb 21, 2003
    Nolensville, TN
    DW,
    Everyone is fed up with it even where it works like it is supposed to. FYI Madison Heights is SAFR's list of municipalities with issues.

3. DreamWeaver88

Mar 10, 2001
    Southeast Michigan
    I just wish that there were fines or something in place for these cities that don't play by the rules.

In Madison Heights, it's the Detectives that have to handle the purchase permits and inspections. Maybe that's why they suck so bad at it. They should be required to hire a dedicated permit/inspection person to handle it 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. Why burden the Detectives with it.....

DW

4. I went to register a gun in Warren yesterday. After sitting there for 45 minutes someone finally told me there computers were down and to come back after the first. Warrens hours for registration are, Tuesday and Wednesday 2pm-4pm and Thursday and Friday 10am-12pm. If they get busy they turn people away, which happened to me several times.

5. cos

cos

Nov 20, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Jeez, I didn't realize some townships were so bad. As an eastsider I go to the Macomb Co Sheriff in Mt. Clemens anytime during normal business hours and I'm done in 15 mins.

6. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Feb 21, 2003
    Nolensville, TN
  7. Nephilim

Nephilim Baby Face Off Lifetime Member

Apr 13, 2002
    North West of Center
    I hate them on libertarian principles alone... but I've never had a hassle. I've done all my checks in Kalamazoo at the Crosstown Parkway police station. There has never been a line and it usually takes 10 minutes or less. I -hate- doing it... but at least it isn't a bigger pain in the ass than driving there would be.

8. oily_oink

oily_oink ###########

Jun 23, 2006
    Metro. Detroit
    No problem in the City of Roseville. Never a line! Open for inspection 3 days a week. Takes 10 minutes & $1.00 to laminate the green card.

For a City that was a joke when it came to purchase permits & weapons inspections: Hamtramck! I don't know how they are now, but 7 years ago you only had a couple of hours 1 day a week! Don't let the ID Detective be on vacation!!!:brickwall:

9. phool

phool

May 8, 2000
    I was able to talk Madison Heights into letting me do it on a Saturday morning. It was a deal where I had to jump through crazy hoops to get the permit to purchase, and then I kept trying to get in there to get it registered, and they weren't taking them for whatever reason. I finally spoke to somebody higher up, and explained to them that I don't want to go to jail for failing to register within the 10 days when I've tried to come in three times already.

But yes... they certainly are a PITA!

10. umc

umc "Piece" of Mind CLM

May 11, 2005
    Detroit, Michigan
    The only way to "fix" this is to make this whole BS registration go away. I see no reason for it other than to be able to confiscate our pistols one day besides not all states do this so why do we again?

11. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Feb 21, 2003
    Nolensville, TN
    Started as a Jim Crow thing and never went away, and with the last election results it's not likely to be going away anytime soon.

12. Wurm

Wurm

Jun 18, 2005
    MI
    I just love leaving work in the middle of the day to get a safety inspection done in Ferndale. Tuesday and Wednesday from 10:00am to 11:30am are such convenient hours too! I've gotta run up there tomorrow to show them my new Kel-Tec P3AT.

13. cos

cos

Nov 20, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wurm,

I bought a P3AT last yr. It's great, especially with a finger support on the bottom of the mag and a Hogue grip (which needs to be timmed and glued). I also did a "fluff and buff". All this stuff is on the KTOG forum.

14. lakota169

lakota169

Dec 18, 2005
    S.E. Michigan
    Do you know anybody from Ferndale nicknamed Muggsy?

15. snow4brains

snow4brains

Dec 5, 2006
    Michigan
    I get to have one "inspected" tomorrow. I wonder how many internals could be removed and still pass inspection? LOL

16. This is from the "Ask a Lawyer" section of MCRGO -

Q: I have a friend who has purchased a hand gun and he has had a problem getting it registered because the sheriffs office has limited hours for registation of handguns.
    A: MCL 28.422 (3) says... The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department, in discharging the duty to issue licenses shall with due speed and diligence issue licenses to purchase, carry, or transport pistols to qualified applicants residing within the city, village, township, or county, as applicable unless he or she has probable cause to believe that the applicant would be a threat to himself or herself or to other individuals, or would commit an offense with the pistol that would violate a law of this or another state or of the United States.

MCL 28.422 (5) says... Upon the sale of the pistol, the seller shall fill out the license forms describing the pistol sold, together with the date of sale, and sign his or her name in ink indicating that the pistol was sold to the licensee. The licensee shall also sign his or her name in ink indicating the purchase of the pistol from the seller. The seller may retain a copy of the license as a record of the sale of the pistol. The licensee shall return 2 copies of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days following the purchase of the pistol.

MCL 28.422 (12) says... A licensing authority shall implement this section during all of the licensing authority's normal business hours and shall set hours for implementation that allow an applicant to use the license within the time period set forth in subsection (6).

I would call your local sheriff and ask him to adjust his hours to accommodate the law. If this doesn't work. Have a lawyer write the letter.

17. DenGlock

DenGlock

Dec 10, 2006
    Michigan
    I register my guns at the Sherrif's Dept. in Clinton County. It's so simple and fast. The treatment there is great from the time I walk into the place and when I leave. The people at the front desk are extremely good at what they do. :supergrin:

18. DreamWeaver88

Mar 10, 2001
    Southeast Michigan
    Here's a question....

Can I take a pistol to the Oakland County Sheriff and get it registered instead of going to my local PD? Or does it absolutely have to be done by the PD in the city you live in?

DW

19. Tim13

Tim13

Oct 16, 2006
    USA

That's a good question. I was under the impression that all of the PD's and Sheriff's offices used the same State of Michigan computer program to 'register'. Doesn't this info go to the MSP anyway, and not to the department doing the actual data input?

Tim