close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Officially, 1 in 7.75 "Employed" Americans Works for Government

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Durden, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Durden

Durden

There are 154.9 million Americans officially deemed "employed" (although many of these people work in part time positions, never mind low wage and/or low or no benefit ones).

There are just over 20 million Americans that work for federal, state and local units of government (not including service members serving within branches of the U.S. military), but this is an "official" number that does not include other persons employed by corporations and contractors that work fully or significantly for government (therefore, if one were to include these individuals, the ratio cited in the thread title would undoubtedly be along the lines of 1 in 6 or so).

Isn't this a big problem?

2. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

What do you think the number should be? This is a very big country and requires a lot of people to manage the thousands and thousands and thousands of municipalities, before you even get to the federal level.

3. Scott3670

Scott3670

I work for the Government, and I'd say that 1 of every 7.75 people in my office actually work.

4. Durden

Durden

Now that's a lol all day and night long!

Nothing better than pure honesty.

5. Durden

Durden

I honestly didn't and don't have an absolute number in mind.

I just know that the present number strikes me at first, second and third glance as excessive, and maybe dramatically so.

Edit - After reading your reply a second time, I find the portion that reads "requires a lot of people to manage the thousands and thousands and thousands of municipalities" as odd or ambiguous.

What's different about municipalities versus county, state or federal employment staffing requirements, if any, that requires more employees as a % of the population (assuming that's what you were stating)?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

The percentage (number) is going to get higher in the next four years.

7. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

Do you have a source for the 20 million number? that might help narrow down what is included.

8. Durden

Durden

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

I was reading the paper this morning, and something caught my eye. It was a statement that this recession is the first time that local government employment has shrunk since 1981.

I was curious enough about it that I went to BLS and dug up some data. Take a look:

[​IMG]

The four lines are federal, state, local and private (i.e., non-government nonfarm) average annual employment since 1955 (the first year for which full data is available) and normalized to 1955 levels (so this shows the relative growth, not the absolute number of employees in each sector).

It's amazing how much history you can read into each of these lines.

If you look at the private sector line, you can see every speedbump the US economy hit since after the Korean war. The dip at ~1975 is the oil shocks, the one in the early 80's is the post-Carter stagflation, the one in the early 90's is the aftershocks of Black Monday and the S&L crisis. You can see a dip at the bursting of the tech bubble around 2001 and another starting in 2008.

Compare this to the local government line. Local government employment has gone up EVERY YEAR except 1981-1983 and post-2008. In other words, local government employment is virtually recession proof. Same thing with state government although the dips are in slightly different places.

State and local government employment has grown almost twice as fast as public sector employment. There are 2.5x as many private sector employees in the US today than there were in 1955--and 4x or more as many state and local government employees.

This is what the election should be about. Forget about social issues, this is what's going to kill us. The government is not a damn jobs program.

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It is a big country with a bloated federal government employing people to do a whole lot of stuff it isn't Constitutionally authorized to do and shouldn't be doing. I dare say we could cut federal employees 50% and no one would notice except welfare recipients and the terminated federal employees.

12. Durden

Durden

Nice graph. It is fairly consistent with the data I sourced, also (including a peekaboo at BLS data-- linked above).

It would appear that there is no taming the government beast, which hires more and more people as a % of the total U.S. workforce and expends more and more $$$ in absolute, and more importantly, real terms, with each passing year.

Both political parties, despite what one or the other may say, clearly feel it's in their best political interests to keep growing government, the impact on the private sector and taxpayers be damned.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

I should have cut and pasted the footnote as well--I made that chart from BLS data.

14. CAcop

CAcop

Everybody wants their slice of government cheese. Who else is going to deliver it?

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

No, some folks produce the cheese and some folks consume it.

16. Tvov

Tvov

Everyone says government is bloated, including those who work in government jobs. Yet nothing ever gets done except to hire more people to make study committees to study how to cut the government.

I am not sure what to do about it. I have friends who work for the local town government. They work hard, and say they could use more help, but I don't have the courage to say to their face that their entire department is redundant and should be reduced, if not eliminated.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Start with a 50% cut in government employees. Then go from there.

18. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

I agree with that!!!!!!!!! Please start at the very top. Fire Michelle.

19. CAcop

CAcop

Hey don't b;ame me. My city government is shrinking while yor fire protection district went from vollie to full time.

20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Blame you for what?