close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Official: Hit the Tipping Point & Fell Over ...

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by aircarver, Oct 25, 2013.

1. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    Don't worry. The liberals assure us that this is necessary for any civilized country, and we can go on like this forever.

2. jfost11

jfost11

Aug 18, 2012
    In the woods, VA
    Isn't that a third of our total population?

3. callihan_44

callihan_44 INFIDEL

Aug 19, 2010
    Flyover,USA
    yep it's getting harder to pull the cart folks, the task master's whip will hurt a little more to feed the masses

4. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I saw an article that stated if they're seasoned enough they can draw upwards of $50k between all of the free cheese options available!

5. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    What is the average benefit dollar amount received by these people?

6. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My MIL is on SSDI and I can give you a real world idea.

The hard part to estimate is medical – Obama care throws a monkey wrench into this (she needs to now pay towards her insurance). Additionally, when I hear some place report “the average recipient receives the equivalent of $74,000 a year” is the same as saying “the average housewife would get paid X number of dollars if you had to hire someone to do it.” i.e. I wonder if that $74,000 number includes the cost of maintaining the program. I can tell you for certain my MIL isn’t making $74,000 a year.

Where recipients really seem to profit is when they combine their benefits. My wife’s grandma lives next to a family with four generations of people on welfare. Between food stamps, heat assistance, actual money, medical benefits etc. no one in the family has worked in over 30 years.

I would say my MIL’s benefits (her monthly check, discounted transportation, utilities, subsidized rent, food stamps and medical) is about the equivalent of a $40,000 a year job. She doesn’t drive a Cadillac; her apt rent is $276 and she pays no utilities but the place is about 280 sf. Where its additionally hard to estimate is the amount of private assistance they get. My MIL could get a subsidized cell phone if she wanted; but being on my family plan gives her some additional benefits. The local cable provider provides free basic cable to her HUD building. She can access our local food bank where someone working can't. If you add in these potential privatized programs I could see this $40K number pushing to $43-44.

However, remember per the IRS 2012 filings to be in the top 50% you only need to make about $33,028. So yes, you can be better off on welfare/benefits than working. Considering she lives in small town U.S.A, and a “good” job pays about $10/hour she is much better off.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  7. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    More "common sense" solutions from the progressive left!!

8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    How old is your MIL?

How long has she been on SSDI?

9. Yes, it is....

10. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin

Two years.

This is what I call a "six pack" story. Long story short, she is a smoker, went inpatient 6 times from Thanksgiving (where I spent mine with her in the ER) until 1/21 the following year.

Then she was inpatient for ten straight weeks on Medicaid. I'm in insurance, I know the industry; the facility kept her to get "something" from the bed until someone with private insurance came along. She saw a doctor once or twice a day otherwise she sat and watched TV. She has every lung related disease under the sun including acute pneumonia (which never went away per the doctors) and COPD.

Her problem is smoking; she ended up losing a lung and her total bill exceeded $700K.

To this day, she still smokes.

Truth be told her life is actually pretty nice. Free cable, she utilizes the public library a lot for movies, books, etc. If she needs to go to the doctor its covered (and believe this if I drive her the 24 miles round trip to one of her other doctor's I get a $26 check).

She has the luxury of time...but again, based on her lifestyle I and my wife are shocked she is still alive

11. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Sorry to hear about her problems.

What was her status before Thanksgiving? Was she working? Was she already in her subsidized apartment? Was she receiving any benefits before then?

12. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    I thank pugman for his responses, but the question still stands regarding the original numbers.

13. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    My MIL is the poster child of how not to do things.

17 years in at Pepsi where she was still eligible for a pension. I can't say for sure, but I think her paycheck was getting garnished so bad towards the end (3 bankruptices, numerous debt, etc.) she quit to go work a job for cash.

Was working a bartending gig for cash for several years when the SHTF. She had no benefits prior to this (and in her situation no insurance was the killer)

So she had her 40 quarters in.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  14. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The key to welfare is knowing the system. It took me 7 months and a lot of phone calls to case workers and what not to get my MIL on her "package." Secondly, I work a lot with Medicaid (a state by state managed program) and benefits can swing wildly

This article has Hawaii at just short of $50K (#1) and MO at 30th with $26,837

http://watchdog.org/102192/good-work-if-you-can-get-it-26837-average-welfare-benefits-in-mo/

This article seems to quote the same study and puts Wisconsin around $21K ($21483). Using a reverse engineering approach considering this isn't taxed by Wisconsin's standards this person is making the equivlant of just under $29,000 a year.

http://www.rightwisconsin.com/dailytakes/220395231.html

However, the key here is this is just a check in hand and its not taxed.

When I estimated my MIL's package I know her low income apt is $276. I figured the place with its utilities deal is worth about $450. It has a full kitchen and a 3/4 bath but the "great room" is probably 12x10. Her bedroom will fit a queen size bed with just enough room to walk around it.

I figured the transportation discount she receives ($1 round trip cab rides anywhere in the city where its normally $3-we live in a small town) at one trip a day or about $60.

My guess of about $40K a year job is close. However, she is single.

I know if she had a child her food stamps would go from $60 to the full $200.

Foster care rates in Wisconsin for children range from $220-$475/month for 2013. I would think montary benefits would equal at least this.

However, if my MIL's experience is any indication - the key isn't the money; but the supplemental programs the general working public doesn't have access to. Again, remember the number above is just under $29000 a year in actual pay - the average worker in the U.S by the IRS tax filings made $33,028 - but the welfare reciptant doesn't have the costs of work related items like gas.

And the welfare reciptant is eligible for all those "perks."

I have no problem with welfare's purpose; there are times when everyone needs a hand up - the problem is many on it have made it their career.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  15. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator

And thus the eternal question:
    How to care for those truly unable to care for themselves and not have it become a haven and scam for those who are just worthless freeloaders?

Heres a supposition for you...
    It can't be done at the government level.
    Nor is it the job of government to attempt doing so.

16. The Machinist

The Machinist No Compromise

Sep 20, 2009
    The Left Coast
    So where are our resident leftists? Why aren't they defending the welfare and spending they keep voting for?

17. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013