close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Official GLOCK training model thread (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Valuable Info' started by GSD17, Jun 6, 2013.

1. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013
    Thanks Butch, so now i have any other question. There is a guy on another forum that claims he has a gen2 red gun, but it is LIVE fire. The ser# starts "GD" all matching which does not fall into the trainer #'s. From the pictures he's sent me, the frame does not appear to be painted and actually looks factory. Im trying to figure out if this can be or not for this guy. The gun was also painted a camo color when he got it, and he used a paint stripper to get it off and found the gun to be red. None of the red came off with the stripper.

2. CourtCop

CourtCop Millennium Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Brodheadsville, PA
    Would the trigger spring from the R model work in a fully functional Glock for dry fire practice?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    I wish I had recorded the serial numbers of the two Gen2 trainers when I photographed them many years ago, that would have maybe helped with this question.

BUT, the red frames are fully functional and a live upper could be used instead of the training upper. The first thing I would check if I could would be to see if the serial numbers on the slide, barrel and frame all match. I highly doubt that Glock would put out a firing red gun.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013
    Thats what i thought too. Serial #'s are all matching, frame, barrel, and slide, except the one on the frame has "US" at the end of it. The Ser# starts with the letters "GD" and not "PJ" as mentioned at the beginning of this thread, or was this for Gen3's only?

5. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Feb 23, 2004
    Alabama
    I am betting that the pistol is painted in some form or fashion.

Glock seems to have been pretty consistent in the prefixes assigned to training models and none other.

6. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Feb 23, 2004
    Alabama
    Yes, it would - however - I'm not sure how it would function because the R model has a very long firing pin which affects the trigger reset.

7. Butch

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    I agree. I would certainly detail strip the gun and examine the insides of the frame thoroughly for spots showing black polymer. I would even go so far as to scrape a spot inside to see if the red scrapes off.

I'd be right amazed if Glock made red guns with serial numbers within the same range of live guns, but can I say they didn't for a fact? No.

You could try calling Glock with the serial number and see what they say about it....

8. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013
    I'll see if i can get permission to post his pictures, but from what i see it looks to be factory. I'll also see if he's willing to make a little scrape on the inside to see if the red comes off. We've tried to contact glock but all they've given us is that it was imported and the manufacturing date.

9. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013
    Here are some pics of the Gun in question. If you follow the URL to photobucket you can zoom in on them there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Feb 23, 2004
    Alabama
    The frame does seem to be a legit red frame from the pics.

However - without being able to see the serial number, it could be a training frame with a regular G17 upper.

The guy obviously fancies customization, judging by the custom coated slide.

11. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013
    Both the barrel and slide are serial marked GD017, and the frame is serial marked GD017 US

12. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013

According the current owner, the previous owner had the whole gun painted in camo. When he used a paint stripper to take it off what you see is what he was left with.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  13. Butch

Dec 17, 1998
    Minnesota
    You and the gun are in Canada? I wonder if that might make a difference.....the frame sure looks original, but it's still hard to imagine that they'd make, let alone sell to the public, a live red gun.

I too would like to see close up pics of all three full serial numbers. I'm expecting to attend an advanced armorer class again soon, and would like to take the pics along to show. If you don't want them posted here, my email is butchg17(at)hotmail.com

14. gunnyee12

gunnyee12

Aug 22, 2013
    Yes that is correct we are in Canada, but i believe the gun was imported from the US. If you use the URL to the pics you can zoom in on them in photobucket. In the full gun pic you can sort of make out "17 US" on the frame, then in the stripped pic you can clearly see the ser# on the barrel. Either way I will post pics of all 3 ser#'s together when i get them.

15. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

Feb 23, 2004
    Alabama
    I'm with Butch - I'm not saying that it isn't what the guy is saying that it is - I'm just saying that would be EXTREMELY odd for Glock to do that and there HAS to be a story behind it.

According to the serial number research project - the "GD" we have listed is a 2nd Gen G17 from June 1989. It would be an earlier 2nd Gen.

I wish Glock would give you more info, because something is unique here if it all lines up to be true.

16. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    Pat Sweeney argued that the Trainer models were not importable for a lack of import points, and the Practice and Reset Glocks rely on their red frame color to distinguish them from live firearms. Were the Practice and Reset Glocks to be more widely available, I think that some (just-to-be-different) hipster sport shooters would be quick to build a live Glock on a red Glock frame thus muddying the visual-appearance waters to the extent that that the red Glock frame could come to lose it's very meaning. With that in mind, I understand and appreciate Glock's position.

17. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    Specially with todays paints, it takes little to color any gun any color.
    Beside, Sweeney is one reason I don't buy/read G&A anymore!

18. D1N0

D1N0

Jul 26, 2012
    Chicago-ish
    Anybody own or know where I can buy a G21 cutaway magazine??

19. ke6guj

ke6guj

Oct 18, 2004
    I saw this on Glock's website as well,

" An aftermarket, laser impulse generator can be integrated in the barrel, and when pulling the trigger, the firing pin will activate and register a virtual hit on a simulator screen.​

how does that work if the firing pin is short and there is not a breech hole for the firing pin to hit the switch on a laser generator?

20. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    Not sure how much interest there actually is for Cutaway information, but on the Gen3 G19 I just got, the hole to see the magazine catch spring is not there as it is on your Gen2 example.

Also worth noting is in another diffence between the Gen2 Cutaway and mine is last night I came across another thread regarding the Cutaway and you mentioned that it can fire and will explode. That is another difference with our Cutaway's. Mine came with an OEM striker with the nipple that protrudes through the breech face cut off so it cannot fire.

Being that there is a hole in the breach face on the cutaway I was curious and took a factory G19 striker assembly and inserted it in the cutaway slide. The hole in the breech face does not line up with the nipple on the striker preventing it from protruding into the chamber. Any successful attempt to fire a cutaway (at least the one I have) could only happen after additional machining of the slide as well as the replacement of the striker.