Glock Talk banner

OFFICIAL 10mmAUTO DEER HUNT STORY THREAD

145K views 370 replies 79 participants last post by  21Brutus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow 10-RIngers....

Thought I'd initiate an OFFICIAL 10mm deer hunting story thread. Please ONLY post 10mm hunting results here, pictures preferred. :)

I'll kick it off with my hunts from last season and a year or two before that.

---------------------------------------------------------------
NOV 2008:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all,

Just thought I'd tell everyone about my first deer kill with a handgun... and not just ANY handgun but my CZ/DW Razorback 10mm!

I got this little button buck while still hunting on the low, thick side of a mountain here in SW Missouri. The hill, mostly covered in cedar, pines and thick briars with patches of light green grass in between, is a haven for deer trying to escape the cold, northern wind during the rut. Took this guy at about 15 yards away from a half crouched, half sitting postion using Doubletap 200gr Controlled Expansion (XTP) loads (1150fps actual velocity from my 5" barrel).

First shot punched him through the right side of the chest, a dead center double lung shot. He bolted (as most deer do) and ran uphill right past me where I shot him again. This shot (at about 6 yards) entered right behind his right shoulder, cut through his heart and broke his left leg / shoulder joint on the way out. He kept turning toward me and actually crashed right in front of me about a yard or two away, DRT. (PS... I also took pics of the entrance / exit wounds on the deer after I skinned it but won't be posting them in this thread due to their graphic nature. PM me if interested) Ironically, it had been really cold here for the jlast few days (in the 20's at night and 40's during the days and oftentimes quite windy). I'd been getting up at 5 and out to my stand or location by 615-630 and hunting until dark. The day I got this guy was the day I slept in until 830 and took my time getting out there since I knew that the wind was supposed to change from a chilly northern wind to a warmer southern wind by noon or so. Highs were almost in the 60's this day. I had already hunted about three full days prior to this kill which put it right in the middle range of my week of hunting. Anyways, I guess I just needed to get in there and shake em up a bit near thick cover and their beds rather than sitting on stand. The big woods hunting takes a special technique to even FIND deer, let alone get em within range to kill. Worked well for me this time.

I'm also including some pics of the processing of the buck. I was familiar with

how to skin and process a deer but my step-mom had usually taken care of most of the deer processing for me. I decided that I might as well do this one all on my own for the experience and practice. I did the skinning, quartering, butchering on my own this go-round. Also, I decided to use both shoulders and both hams entirely for jerky since my wife doesn't really like venison. (I still kept my tenderloins, of course). I ended up with just a HAIR under 4lbs of finished, teryaki flavored deer jerky to take home. AHHHH.... just wait till the coworkers and friends have a taste. Its perfect!!

See less See more
#52 ·
Congrats and thanks for sharing kegs! Did the bulletget deflected up somehow? The entrance wound is fairly low on the ribs, while the exit wounds is high, just a few inches from the spine, unless Im looking at it completely wrong...

#53 ·
Kegs, congrats very nice deer, should make for some realy good eating! Also great report! It is hard to say just how or what to expect performance wise from various bullets until you actually put them to the test!

That is the same results I saw from a deer I shot at 130 yards using the 200gr XTP from a sabot shot from my muzzle loader (2000 fps mz should have impacted at about 1375-1400 fps), however with good expansion, I recovered the bullet barely poking thru the skin far side!

Good bread, good meat, good lord let's eat!...Once again congrats! :reindeer:

#55 ·
Good job, Kegs.

I have my own story, pics and details.... just too busy right now to put it all together. The 200gr XTP put a massive entrance hole in my deer, as well.

More later...

#56 · (Edited)
Congrats and thanks for sharing kegs! Did the bulletget deflected up somehow? The entrance wound is fairly low on the ribs, while the exit wounds is high, just a few inches from the spine, unless Im looking at it completely wrong...

To all: Thank you. I am thankful for this wholesome nutritious goodness.

Arushus: Good eye - I was actually hunting on a hill, above the deer, so that makes sense.

I haven't recovered the bullet yet - not sure if I want to track it down. I have a metal detector, and may be able to find it. It is a pass-through - bullet in, did its damage and blew right through. Nosler ashtray...whodathunk?

#57 ·
Good job Nick, and all you old boys that got your deer with the 10mm.

May have some turkey pics for ya if I ever get down behind the house to shoot one. haven't had the time. Light weight FMJ stuff in the 10mm and "craw shot" works great on 'em. Even at the butt of the 'folded wing', pass thru's and NO meat damage. I'll see if I get the time...

Again, good shooting you guys and congrats to all you pistolero's 10 style. ;)

CM

#60 ·
Thanks CM, Had venison steak last night w/my wife. Quite tasty. Lots of work in between butchering, but freezer is full now, so we're good for 2 months at least in terms of meat.

Hope everything is nice down there in the longhorn state.

Best,
Kegs

Kegs. Good job. I am glad you finally got to shoot some game with your G29.
Good placement and good report as well.

Now go and enjoy the 'good meat' ! ;)

It's broke in now. One 'notch' for ya amigo ! :supergrin: Hope ya get many more in the years to come.

CM

#64 · (Edited)
Thanks CM, Had venison steak last night w/my wife. Quite tasty. Lots of work in between butchering, but freezer is full now, so we're good for 2 months at least in terms of meat.

Hope everything is nice down there in the longhorn state.

Best,
Kegs

You are more than welcome amigo! You earned it. :supergrin:

I had a really cool note wrote up here and it all just vanished when I hit the button ! :dunno:

How are things here you ask ?

We've had 1" of rain here in a year. The fires have almost took out the ranch. Many ranches are toast all around us, and most all live stock has had to be sold off. No water at all !

My brother took his little boy out behind the ranch house here the other day and he did manage to cull out a small 8 point on his first true "still hunting experience." My brother was more excited that his son.. ha.

The fires and the drought has been beyond description. I don't even know where these deer are getting the water. I tell you, there is NO water here. But they manage, and so will we as well. its a hard country, and you grow up havin to deal with many hard things, and we will get through all this.

Nick I' going to post that deer pic and ONE fire pic that was on top of us, before the Gov got the helo's out here finally, and a cajillion fire fighters, thank God for them, and after a week or so got it out (for now), if ya want me to pull the pics let me know amigo, no problem. Hope ya won't mind.

Again, Kegs, and all you guys 'good work', good hunting !
congrats Kegs, and good eating to y'all.

CM

#65 · (Edited)
Okay guys,

This will not be a long and detailed post like I was originally going to do. There is just too much info to tell and I've got some family and work issues going on that is taking my time up so this brief story will have to work. :)

My 3rd handgun deer!! And my 3rd 10mm deer!!

I got this little yearling buck about 740am on the 2nd day of firearms season. It was a relatively warm morning with blustery winds (up to 40mph later that day) and I'd been still hunting through a nice saddle against the wind through an ecotone of pines to hardwoods. Took a rest at the base of a tree to break up my outline and this guy came by around half an hour later.

Took two shots at him at around 10-12 yards max. The first entered through his left shoulder and exited his right front neck, no bullet recovered. Second shot was as he fell to his "knees" for a brief minute.... Second shot hit about an inch beside first shot and I found it lodged by the spine in one of the backstraps (booo!!!!).

Load used was a carefully handloaded 200gr XTP at 1300fps. Again, I was surprised that both shots didn't exit. My guess is that either 1) the bullet hitting a bit of hard bone stopped full penetration or 2) the excess speed on the bullet slowed penetration. From the looks of the bullet, excess expansion wasn't an issue. This pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'll be using a WFNGC hardcast next season to test its performance. I need to work up a HC load for accuracy, anyways.

For all those interested, I have detailed pics of the bullet damage when I was dressing/skinning the deer. The two 200gr XTP's had a bomb-like entrance cavity in the deer. Exit wound on the one bullet was decent but, due to its exit LOCATION, wasn't the size of the entrance wound.

Good job on the deer, Kegs! ... and everyone else! And good luck to those still hunting!

First test target the day before opening day... offhand at 15 yards. "warm up"

Deer down!

Happy camper!

Bullet

Fusion in the field

#68 ·
I took a metal detector out there today and tried twice (unsuccessfully) to find the bullet. I think it must have had a lot more steam left in it.
If somebody had told me a 135gr nosler hp would have behaved this way when it struck a deer, and still had enough left to keep going far enough to be unrecoverable even with a metal detector, I really wouldnt have ever believed it. I would have said you were dumb if you think a 135gr nosler would do much more than blow up after striking flesh...

#69 ·
Nick - awesome report and congrats - very cool that you were able to get that bullet - and would like to see bullet performance pics when you get the time - just pvt. msg. or put those pics up or whatever you want.

That fusion is super, super sweet. I wish I had one exactly like it in a commander length. Can't do it now - maybe sometime in the future...

#70 · (Edited)
Okay guys,

This will not be a long and detailed post like I was originally going to do. There is just too much info to tell and I've got some family and work issues going on that is taking my time up so this brief story will have to work. :)

I got this little yearling buck about 740am on the 2nd day of firearms season. It was a relatively warm morning with blustery winds (up to 40mph later that day) and I'd been still hunting through a nice saddle against the wind through an ecotone of pines to hardwoods. Took a rest at the base of a tree to break up my outline and this guy came by around half an hour later.

Took two shots at him at around 10-12 yards max. The first entered through his left shoulder and exited his right front neck, no bullet recovered. Second shot was as he fell to his "knees" for a brief minute.... Second shot hit about an inch beside first shot and I found it lodged by the spine in one of the backstraps (booo!!!!).

Load used was a carefully handloaded 200gr XTP at 1300fps. Again, I was surprised that both shots didn't exit. My guess is that either 1) the bullet hitting a bit of hard bone stopped full penetration or 2) the excess speed on the bullet slowed penetration. From the looks of the bullet, excess expansion wasn't an issue. This pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'll be using a WFNGC hardcast next season to test its performance. I need to work up a HC load for accuracy, anyways.

For all those interested, I have detailed pics of the bullet damage when I was dressing/skinning the deer. The two 200gr XTP's had a bomb-like entrance cavity in the deer. Exit wound on the one bullet was decent but, due to its exit LOCATION, wasn't the size of the entrance wound.

Good job on the deer, Kegs! ... and everyone else! And good luck to those still hunting!

First test target the day before opening day... offhand at 15 yards. "warm up"

Deer down!

Happy camper!

Bullet

Fusion in the field

Very good job Nick ! Congrats...

PM me when ya can and I will give you the best three sources for the Hard Cast bullets, which as ya know by now is 98% of all I shoot and have shot all my life for hunting. (if ya want to).

Again, good story and good shot !

Stay safe.

CM

#71 ·
I took a metal detector out there today and tried twice (unsuccessfully) to find the bullet. I think it must have had a lot more steam left in it.
Probably still in orbit. :supergrin:

Thanks for trying.

#74 ·
Hey guys, ] just discovered this site and I'm excited to find such great 10mm info. Ill be in my stand tomorrow with my Glock 20 loaded with 180gr JHP Buffalo Bore loads. I've been hunting one particular deer this year and had him at 40yds but I ran out of light and never got a shot.

Hopefully tomorrow he will show!

There have been some great pics, stories, and info in this thread. Hopefully I can contribute.

Here is the one I'm afterf

#75 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and extremely happy to find a place for 10mm deer hunters! I will be in my stand tomorrow with my Glock 20 loaded with 180gr Buffalo Bore. I'm hunting a specific buck that I have a lot of pics of. I had him at 40yds the other night but ran out of light and never got a shot.I've passed up several nice bucks for this one but tomorrow might be the day!

Good luck everyone. I have enjoyed the pics and stories.

#76 ·
I'm back on in the morning, have a nice little watering hole to post with several beds and trails. Has a 10 acre kneedeep clearing going up the next hill. Wish me luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.