Officer's Choice?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by glock1911revolver, Apr 22, 2013.

1. countrygun

Expand Collapse

Mar 9, 2012
    To paraphrase Harry Callahan,

"A good department knows its limitations....."

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Patchman

Expand Collapse

Jul 29, 2008
    Land of Flora, Fauna & Merriweather
    As for setting a drop dead date, no idea why nothing like this was done. As for enticement to "upgrade" to a semiauto, the agency provided free semiautos to everyone willing to convert. The individual LEO just had to purchase holster and mag pouch. And all who converted got to keep their wheelguns.

Have no idea how many revolvers are left but I know getting a free box or two of Speer .38 ammo out of the range guys is getting harder and harder. So they must be keeping a closer eye on .38 ammo inventory and hoping they don't have to re-order (or re-order as much) anymore.

#42 Patchman, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Annhl8rX

Expand Collapse

Jan 17, 2007
    Lone Star State
    My agency just recently started to allow the carry of personally owned weapons. Prior to that, everybody had to carry the issues HK USP. Firearms instructors could approve a P2000 for those with smaller hands.

You can still carry the HK if you want, which I do. You are also allowed a Glock 22 or 23, M&P, XD or XDm, Beretta 96, or some Sig variant. Since it is so new, the list is still being formed. I believe the specific requirements are that it must be a .40, capable of double action fire, with at least a 4" barrel and 6" sight radius.
  4. nitesite10mm

Expand Collapse
    Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    I'm issued a G22 and 180-gr HST. It is okay but I prefer other sidearms as a first choice.

So it is always either a 1911 or a G34 but every now and then I have rocked with a Smiff and Western Model 28 Highway Patrolman.

Yep. In 2013 I've carried a blued N-Frame 4" Smiff revolver chambered in a straight walled magnum cartridge.

I was recently at a pursuit training seminar wearing a Model 28 and all it took was the short timespan of waiting for the first restroom/coffee break from class for me to be outside with a small crowd around me wanting to talk about it. By lunch there were guys wondering why they had never appreciated a revolver until then.

I just wish it was a Model 58 fixed sight 4" .41 Remington Magnum instead of a .357 maggie.
    #44 nitesite10mm, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  5. countrygun

Expand Collapse

Mar 9, 2012
    I have both and it is difficult to chose the 28 (as great as it is) when the 58 is an option.
  6. pgg00

Expand Collapse

Jun 1, 2008
    Fled the emerald triangle
    We carry our own firearms. 9mm, .40 & .45 are authorized (.380 and .38 can be used for BUGs). Has to be a quality brand. Rifles have to be of an AR 5.56 variant. The fish cop guys can use a .308 if they choose. Shotguns must be 12 gauge and fit in the racks.

I tried to get them to let me carry my 10mm. Everyone approved until it got to the chief who nixed it.