Officer shot when child pulls trigger

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties Issues' started by Sniffler, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Children are very good at pointing out the short comings of both adults and their equipment.

2. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

A holster that doesn't completely cover the trigger isn't safe, especially with Glocks. It could just as well gotten caught on something when the officer was sitting down or getting in his car.

Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

3. Open carry would have prevented this.

THERE! I said it first!

In all seriousness, I hope the Officer's okay, and I hope they find the kid and talk to him to find out what exactly happened. Obviously, this wasn't a proper holster. I carried my G22 in a Safariland Raptor 6270 Level II holster when I worked as an Armed Security Officer, and this would never have happened with a proper duty holster of good quality design.

4. Lack of situational awareness perhaps??

Not to mention, why is he carrying one in the chamber in a classroom full of children?? Poor safety measures at the very least.

5. Why are they using a holster that does not cover the trigger especially on a Glock?

6. If some freak came in and started shooting the place up and this guys gun wasn't loaded everyone would blame him if a single person was hurt.

Its loaded because evil doesn't care if the room is full of kids.

7. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot
    CLM

Actually, that seems to have been the problem here. In this case, concealed carry would have prevented it.

:tongueout:

#8 Geko45, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Ack! Foiled by my own stupidity! :dunno::supergrin:

9. Ok...

i'll give you that. However, it seems a bit unlikely that some nut is going to attack a school with a SWAT van parked out front.

Not to mention that it takes about one second to rack the slide and put a round in the chamber should he need to use the gun for defense purposes in a situation like the one you put forth.

I have two young kids in my own house, 5 and 8. They have been around guns since they were old enough to know anything. But, anytime the kids are around, and I have my guns out, they are never chambered. The curiosity is just too much for little ones sometimes.

10. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues
    Silver Member

Pull the trigger, a Glock goes 'Bang !' ...

Snag the trigger, a Glock goes 'Bang !' ...

... Plan accordingly ...

11. There is not a duty holster made for a Glock with tac light that 100% "covers the trigger". They cover it on the sides but all have a gap between the trigger guard and holster on the sides because the light is wider than the frame of he gun and is much wider than the trigger guard itself. The holster makers have tried to limit that by making the gun sit deeper in the holster and run the rear of the holster up to the grip but there is still a gap where a finger can get it, especially a little finger.

#12 ray9898, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

A Safariland ALS holster with a Glock with an M3 light will allow access to the trigger guard while the gun is snapped in. Safariland and Glock have known about this for at least 7 years that I know.

I would love to say that everyone should know this, but safety bulletins often die after a few months.

This is one of the reasons why my PD went to the Glock light instead of the M3. The two batteries side by side create the gap in the trigger area of the holster. The two batteries, one on top of the other in the Glock light prevent this.

That is the way pistols are supposed to be carried. There is no issue there.

13. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Condition 3 is a great plan for a kid-in-the-house gun. If there is enough time to get the pistol, there is enough time to charge it.

14. So you're saying you leave your guns out around children as long as they aren't chambered?

Or are you saying that when you carry around children, you don't have one in the chamber? Either way, you need to rethink your strategy.

15. Wow, I had no idea! My ALS Raptor isn't set up for a light, so it's pretty solid. I have to sign out, but perhaps if someone here could provide a picture for all of us to see (providing you have the holster and light/gun set-up)? I would like to see this gap.

Thanks for the heads-up! I've often thought about mounting a light to my gun if I ever go back to Duty work, and if so, I'd have to get the appropriate Duty Holster to go with the setup. But this has made me think twice.

Have a good morning everyone! I'm signing out for now.

16. No...

I am talking about if I am getting ready to go to the range, or if I am cleaning my guns, or working on them, whatever.

They are never just "out." I have my 1911 that goes on the nightstand at night, but goes back in the safe the first thing when I wake up.

17. We are issued the Blackhawk Serpa Level three with a Glock 22 and attached light. Sitting here, I felt pretty smug that there was no way a finger, or anything, could get inside the trigger guard.

Until I felt around from the backside of the holster. I can pull the trigger in the holster, fully secured.

I never would have thought that.

18. There is simply no way around it. The light is wider than the trigger guard and the holster must be wide enough to accept the light. It will be an issue until tac lights get dramatically smaller.

19. RussP

What does all this mean...
    ..."they", the "child's intent", "accidental or unintentional", what???