close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Officer fired for leaving his post...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by txleapd, May 27, 2011.

1. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I don't remember seeing this posted here.... Basically a Rice University police officer got canned because he responded to an OIS, off campus, because a Houston PD officer was down. Dereliction of duty is the claim... :upeyes:

What are we coming to as a race?

Link

2. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    How far away was the shooting from the university? If it was called as a 998/999/Code 33/etc. within a few miles, I don't see a problem. Further than that, probably not a good idea.

I had stopped an ASU PD officer from Tempe in a marked unit nearly thirty five miles away from the campus, before there was a west side campus in the 1980s. He claimed he was out looking for his girlfriend's house at 0-dark-30. :upeyes:

3. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    From my understanding it, was less than 4 miles away.

There was no doubt he responded to the shooting. He was fired for being gone for and hour and half without telling his sergeant that he was responding.

I think termination was a bit harsh...

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    If an officer is down within a few miles of me I would just have to be one fat fired butt.

However, I work for a dept that is contracted to provide LE service to a large university. There are lines that are not to be crossed without supervisor permission when assigned to campus.

Luckily it only comes up one day every two weeks.

5. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

I have zero problem with that as long as it remains an active scene. Once its secured, head back.

6. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    According to some guys in the area, he responded to the ONA call when it came out. He heard "officer down" and hauled ass to get there....

I want to send him a letter that my department is still hiring.

7. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Being gone for 1.5 hours and not informing a supervisor would have gotten me a week w/o pay for the first offense.

Tell a boss where you are going. It is pretty simple concept.

8. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    An hour and a half on a OIS scene doesn't seem excessive to me. I've been on a number of them, and that's a drop in the bucket.

9. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    The kicker is not telling a supervisor. I do have a problem with that factor.

In central AZ, its open season until the scene is secured, then everyone goes in-service if one isn't taking dispo or supporting.

10. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    That, I don't disagree with you... Punishment? Fine. Fired? Seems a bit much. Especially considering the circumstances.

He should have called the boss, no doubt.... The only possible reason I can think of as to why he didn't, is that he thought his sarge would order him not to go. :dunno: That wouldn't surprise me. I worked for one of those guys once...

11. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    +1 to Blueiron's responses. What supervisor likes to be surprised?

12. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

I worked for a number of clowns who thought that the less you did, they less they had to answer for when citizens complained or people asked questions.

Still, one has to do what the agency pays for and follow the major rules. This is not the economy to lose a job in.

13. What comes to mind is the old "better to beg forgiveness then ask permission". I wonder if he thought the supervisor would keep him there and forbid him from leaving the campus.

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    If I were HPD, I'd give him a medal, publically, then hire him.

This was a mistake of the head, not a mistake of the heart. Any supervisor/department with the brain God gave an earthworm can work with that.

15. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    No doubt... It sucks, though, when someone feels they have to weigh income versus doing the right thing.

16. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Indeed. There have been times in most of our careers where we bite our lip and mentally grumble at the stupidity confronting us.

17. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    My mistake.... It looks like he was gone not quite an hour.

Rice University released the following statement regarding the termination:

"...Out of respect for the Houston Police Department, we want to clarify that David Sedmak was terminated from the Rice University Police Department for dereliction of duty. Sedmak left his post when only two other officers were on duty and failed to notify his supervisor of his whereabouts for nearly an hour..."

18. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

Feb 26, 2005
    Texas
    My agency is hiring......

I have two supervisors that would have beat me to the call.

Anywho, I agree, termination is a bit much. Days off and put back on probation I would have no problem with.

19. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    I don't know anyone at Rice, but I've got some buddies at HPD. Apparently they are all pissed.... Their union is blasting Rice.

20. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I see no problem with responding, getting done what needs to be done, and then calling a boss as soon as the scene is secure to say: "Heads up, this is where I am, this is what I did". If he failed to make that call, well take away a vacation day or something.

Kind of hard to make a dereliction argument when a major component of our "duty" is to protect against loss of life and render assistance to other officers / agencies.