Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Off Duty Carry

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Clark's 22, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Clark's 22

Clark's 22

Aug 24, 2006
    When off duty do you carry concealed or do you open carry and why?
  2. rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    I only open carry in uniform or at training functions. I carry concealed all other times (as in every time I step out my front door). I always carry a reload as well.

3. Clark's 22

Clark's 22

Aug 24, 2006
    Same here, but several officers say they open carry all the time but the reasons do not seem very valid. Why draw the attention to yourself is what I say.:tongueout:
  4. rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    As far as my outward appearance is concerned, I am the antithesis of a cop off duty. I drive a beater, wear nothing with any sort of police logo, have no visible gear on my person, and have a full beard (because my agency is cool like that).
  5. I carry every time I leave the house, and it is almost always concealed unless I am going to the range or hunting.

I've never really understood why every cop feels the need to show off their hardware at training.

I see no reason to advertise the fact that I am armed, or that I am a cop, when I am not working. I purposefully try to look as little like a cop as possible when I am not working.
  6. rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    I could have worded my post a little better; I meant departmental training like range training etc. Out of town at classes I carry concealed though dressed a little nicer than normal.
  7. RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Concealed. I don't know of any cops in IL that would OC off duty. I do know of some dewshnozzles in the burbs who might as well be OCing when their idea of concealed is pulling a 2 size too small Abercrombie/Hollister/AE shirt down over a Fobus OWB holster w/ Glock 22 or Sig wedged inside.
  8. Clark's 22

Clark's 22

Aug 24, 2006
    G22 alright but in a crossbreed supertuck. Very comfortable, very concealable.
  9. SAR

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Tactically, you give up all your advantage when you open carry. If I was a bad guy, I'd make sure and take out all the open carry guys first.
  10. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Concealed is my preference. Reason: I don't like to advertise. In some areas around here it is better to keep it concealed, either because of the punks, or because of the MWAG calls that would come about. I don't care for that. Although when carrying as a private citizen, (strange agency, but anyway), we can carry in the open in areas that it is legally OK to do so, my agency prefers that we keep things concealed.
  11. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    Definitely concealed, and no blue line stickers on my vehicle or 5.11 LE type clothing off duty either.
  12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Hey now... I wear the correct sizing in Abercrombie but their idea of a Medium is not the same as the Hanes Beefy-Tee idea of a Medium. But as long as all the ladies appreciate it, I am okay with wearing fitted clothing.

No Fobus OWB for me though, as a matter of fact, I don't have any OWB gear other than some old stuff I had leftover from the early days when I used to wear that under a suit.
  13. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    There's no OC in my state, I conceal carry off duty.

Even if there was OC, I would pass. I like to just blend in off duty. A handgun on the hip draws a lot of attention. The novelty wears off after a year or less on the job. I just want to enjoy life blending in with society when off, don't want to have a big sign on me saying I'm the police.
  14. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Concealed all the time and try to avoid looking like a cop. On some training days I carry openly. Otherwise, closest I get is an OWB holster with a suit, so that makes it semi-CCW I guess.

I have no idea why anyone would want to OC these days unless they are super skilled in gun retention. Waaaay to much hassle. Nothing against the idea other than its a tactical nightmare in any kind of crowd. Out in the woods, no sweat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've always carried concealed during training but noticed a lot of cops like to OC during training sessions, even classroom sessions where there is no range or outdoor component whatsoever. For a five day class where we sit in a room for the whole time, talking and watching films, they would OC from the parking lot to the class and out to lunch, in civvies... I never got that... and don't feel the need to... but then again, maybe they carry like that and just didn't cover with a jacket or concealing garment since it was a training session and maybe when they go back to the real world, they cover up, who knows.
  16. This is what I was referring to in my earlier post. I go to trainings all the time that are not even remotely firearms related, and the room is full of guys (and sometimes ladies) who are OCing, usually in a holster valued at less than $20 that will break if you look at it too hard.

I understand OC when you drive a marked unit to a training, but when you are driving your POV, there is no excuse.
  17. ditchdoc24

Jan 15, 2009
    I carry concealed at all times off duty when I'm away from the house. Sometimes it's IWB and sometimes it's OWB but I always carry a spare mag as well.
  18. Ship A'Hoy

Ship A'Hoy Trigger Control

Feb 11, 2006
    I CC when not in uniform, I don't want to advertise, simple as that.
  19. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

Mar 3, 2005

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine