close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off duty carry choice?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by KiloBravo, May 1, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Newb

What are all of LEOs preferred off duty carry weapon is? Also, does your policy mandate off duty carry which and does it mention anything about needing to carry cuffs as well? I personally feel that all good citizens and esp. Officers should be armed at all times.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Not mandated, the BOP has a guide, but otherwise are staying hands off and allowing us to carry what we want as to concealable handguns. Since we don't do much of anything except in the capacity as a citizen off duty we don't carry 'cuffs, unless it is by our own personal choice. Of course, we carry credentials/employee ID card.

Personally I have preferred the Glock 17 for urban use. If I was out in the country more I would tend towards carrying a Glock 21SF or other good 45.

#2 Hack, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. txleapd

txleapd
    Expand Collapse
    Hook 'Em Up

Nothing mandated either way for us... If I have my choice, I prefer to carry my 1911. Sometimes I carry my Kahr K9.

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

While I flirted with compact guns as an off duty gun I eventually settled on my duty gun as the ideal off duty gun.

My thinking was essentially this, if today is the day I have to fight for my life off duty, I'd rather be doing it with a full sized gun, one that I have a lot of training with and I am the most familiar with. The thought of having to defend my life with a 5 shot snubby as a primary gun was not at all appealing to me.

I also carried a BUG off duty as well.

I always told my guys carry your duty gun as an off duty gun, carry it on the same side near the same place where your duty gun is carried. more than likely that is where your hand is going under stress anyway. and when the SHTF is not a good time to try and remember where you are carrying your gun today. And carry at least one reload for both your primary and BUG.

But that is just me.

5. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

Carried the Kahr K9 and then the G26 for a while. But returned to the G19. In general, much more shootable than ether. Comfort is secondary. Shootability is key. As that's the reason why I carry a gun-because some day, somewhere, I will need to shoot it, and shoot it true.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

I thought you carried one because it is legal and therefore always appropriate.

:whistling::rofl:

7. ar-steve

ar-steve
    Expand Collapse

I carry a Glock22 on duty and a glock 19 off duty. I always carry off duty, but not always the same gun.

I rotate between a g19, g27, g22, and a S&W Jframe( I rarely leave the house with just a J frame)

8. Narc1911

Narc1911
    Expand Collapse
    Anchora Salutis

Our policy is the standard "You are encouraged but not required to carry off duty." Our policy mandates we qualify with any off duty gun every 6 mo if it is not our normal duty gun or backup. We are required to carry our credentials and forbidden to open carry off duty (unless at the range or hunting).

I used to carry a Glock 30 off duty when I was on patrol. My duty gun right now is a Glock 27, which is not my favorite gun, but I have a ton of time behind it and shoot it really well. I wear the same thing at work and off duty. Because of this, and since I am called out so often and drive a takehome rig I carry the Glock 27 off duty.

When I transfer out of narcs next year I will start carrying the Wilson Combat that is being built right now.

9. mntrpr

mntrpr
    Expand Collapse

M&P 40c, or a Springfield Professional, sometimes supplemented by a ruger LCP.

This recent addition may make it into the rotation

[​IMG]

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44
    Expand Collapse
    Unfair Facist
    Lifetime Member

Thats a cute gun whats it gonna be when it grows up?

:tongueout::rofl:

11. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

I am issued a P226 and mandated to carry that on duty. I can carry what I want for a BUG/off-duty as long as its approved and I qualify with it annualy.

In the winter I carry the P226 OWB with a spare mag

Cooler months (or summer months when I will be mostly inside) I carry a G26 OWB with a spare mag

Summer months I carry a 442 .38 jframe either OWB or in a pocket holster. I carry a speed strip for a reload in my opposite pocket. Summers down here are brutal, I am willing to downsize my carry gun in the name of comfort.

I am required by directives to carry off duty inside the jurisdiction. I personally carry 24/7 no matter where I am.

I do not carry handcuffs off-duty though. A gun and reload is enough for me. I am not going to say that carrying handcuffs is not a good idea, but I am just not willing to do it.

12. mntrpr

mntrpr
    Expand Collapse

Actually, it is old, and is shrinking....:whistling:

:wavey:

13. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

No requirement to carry off duty, most don't. You can carry whatever you want but have to qualify it. I tried carrying a 27 but never shot it well. Changed to a P239 which I love.

14. Denikes

Denikes
    Expand Collapse

Glock 33 and/or S&W 442. IWB or ankle for J frame. Caliber and action are mandated by policy. Nothing over .40 or under .380 (in power). No SAO. Cannot carry duty weapon out of state.

15. Ajon412

Ajon412
    Expand Collapse

+1 for a full size Glock (duty) or its compact/subcompact brother. A G22, 23 or 27 depending on the climate. A BUG for off duty,usually a 5 shot revolver in .38 or .44 Special in a pocket holster, has become my standard with at least 1-2 reloads for each, depending on the weapon system.

16. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Not mandated by the department, however for the purposes of firearms carrying, the definition of "on duty" (and therefore required to carry) includes things like training and court.

Typical carry is a G19, G30, or BHP backed up by an LCP or 642. Very, very, very, very seldom less than one gun, equally rarely no reload at least for the primary. NEVER one gun and no reload. Pair of Tuff-Ties in a pocket for restraints (occasionally cuffs if I'm going anywhere work related).

17. jcsd2407

jcsd2407
    Expand Collapse

I carry a G22 on duty so for me the G27 is my ideal BUG and off-duty companion. Off duty carry is encouraged, but as has been said before the gun and a reload are enough, trying to conceal a set of handcuffs would be pushing it for me.

18. Vigilant

Vigilant
    Expand Collapse

If S&W ever makes a 9MM "bodyguard" type single stack sub-compact, I suspect it will have quite a following. Especially if the action resembles that of the full-size M&P series.

For now, I say, the Kahr P9 is well worth a look.

budspolicesupply.com

#18 Vigilant, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  19. Jeffbat83

Jeffbat83
    Expand Collapse

Carry a G17 with a 26 on duty, off duty it's either the 26 or 39.

Off duty carry is limited to pistols made by Glock, in .9,.40,.45,.45gap

20. NMPOPS

NMPOPS
    Expand Collapse

I'm retired now but in my old department we were only mandated to carry off duty to court and if driving a department vehicle (we have take home units). We had/have a wide range of choices for off duty basically at least 9mm/.38 spec. or larger.