close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Off-duty carry blues

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Kadetklapp, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm developing a bad habit of not carrying off-duty. I find it uncomfortable and hard to conceal anything without dressing like a bum. T-shirt/sweatshirt and jeans is all I can wear with my current setup, which is simply an Uncle Mikes IWB with my Rossi 461 .357 Magnum. I have always touted my Rossi as a great backup gun, but it's wearing me down as of late. Don't know why, but it's increasingly uncomfortable and heavy. Due to my year-long weight-loss-gain-it-back workout regimen, my off-duty setup goes from pulling my pants down to making them too tight in the same month it seems.

I also don't like the disadvantage I find myself at with a 2" revolver. The world is slowly going to **** and I think I'm going to find myself outgunned even in the odd chance I carry something.

In my "stable" I have large semi-autos of various flavors. The Rossi is all I have that is "small". I do have a Glock 32C and a Sig P6 which are smaller of the large semi-autos. I was looking at leather IWB holsters for these and they look somewhat comfortable. I'm also just contemplating buying a completely different gun for off-duty carry. I don't really want a small Glock though. I still think it would be too thick. So, looking for a bit of guidance.

2. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    Generally speaking, what is your preferred style of dress when you are out roaming while off duty? Knowing that would help me to give a suggestion. Hell, I'll probably have several!

3. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    there are several viable "duty caliber" guns you can cary concealed wearing most anythong other than a speedo. pun intended.

you make a hammer work like a saw if you need a saw.

use the right tool for the right job. thats why God made so many different types of guns.

4. A S&W Airweight Centennial (442/642) is an excellent choice for discreet pocket carry...even with nice casual attire or even a suit.

Addition of Crimson Trace laser grips greatly increases shooter confidence with snubbie revolvers.

5. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    Me, too. I even have a P3AT that gets left at home all too often. I would much rather carry the G27.

I haven't found clothes that fit right with a firearm concealed aside from an ankle holster; with that, I have to wear boots or it gets uncomfortable. Plus, we have to have our badge, ID, and restraints of some type, by policy. I do have the tuff-ties, but it's still a lot of extra crap to carry.

Ironically, the time I am best armed off-duty and outside my home is when I'm at the gym; I cary a bag around, much easier.

However, winter is here and carrying comfortably and within fashion has become much easier.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    I carry a G19 off duty all the time, and I don't have to dress like a bum. You just have to dress around it, and really, have a good holster/carry setup. Not sure about your area and climate, but around here its pretty common to see people in slacks/jeans with a t-shirt on, and wearing a long sleeved shirt over that. It lends itself to hiding a medium compact sized auto fairly easy.

I carry the G19 pretty much year round now, in the same type of setup, usually IWB at 4-5 o-clock. I carry a spare G17 mag in a pocket for a reload, and I don't feel burdened or like my gun is printing all the time. I'm not what I consider huge at 5-11 and 185.

If its summertime, I sometimes "scale down" to a PPK or J-Frame in the pocket or on the ankle. I'm not a fan of shorts, so its not an issue for me. Generally though, I try to take a service sized automatic with me if I can. Looking at some of the others makes of guns, Kahr seems to have some good stuff. My dad has a Kahr P or CW45 he carries all the time, and its surprisingly small and thin. I can only imagine the 9mm and 40 guns are smaller.

Only other bit of "wisdom" I have gleaned from off duty carry is you have to dress around a gun to be comfortable - IE, buy pants large enough to fit comfortably with a piece, etc. Might have to adapt your style a bit too.

7. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    I'm a t-shirt and jeans person, but if I have to get dressed up a little bit (say for church or out to eat) then that usually means tucking in my shirt. That means no IWB. I do NOT like ankle-carry one bit. Short of pocket carry IDK what else to do.

I'm trying to stay away from revolvers for ODC.

8. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    Have you tried any of the hybrid leather/kydex holsters like the crossbreed? Those are by far my favorite. You can even tuck in your shirt with them.

Like someone else said above, single stack 9's like the PM9 or CM9 are really easy to conceal and lightweight. Throw an extra magazine in your pocket and you have 14 rounds of 9mm on you.

9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I carry a Glock 17 in an IWB tuckable holster setup. Galco King Tuck seems to work pretty well.

10. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    Everyone raves about the Galco holsters but I've not tried one. I will say it does not look very comfortable, but looks can be deceiving.

I had a chance to buy a Kahr compact .45 for $200 last month. Didn't have the cash.

11. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Kadet I worry about you not carrying off-duty. I wear jeans and a untucked polo shirt 95% of the time when I am off-duty. I would carry the Sig P6 OWB in a leather thumb break.

You are LE, so a little bit of printing is not the end of the world. I would also carry a spare mag at about 11:00 where it is on your duty belt.

If you wear a duty belt all day the off-duty rig should feel light as a feather.

I carry a Sig P239 and a spare mag off-duty. I carry it OWB in a Don Hume H721 thumb break leather holster. Occasionally I will pocket carry my 442 and two speed strips, but I usually only go that "light" when I have to wear dress clothes that require a tucked in shirt and 100% concealment.

Just make your mind up to carry something 100% of the time.

12. CW Mock

CW Mock

Feb 4, 2006
    Hmm ... makes it a little tougher ... LOL

Maybe one of the tuckable ones like the Crossbreed is an idea? Other than changing your dress to fit carrying a gun, you might have to just go for a small weapon and pocket carry after all. I don't like pocket carry myself, but some of the guys here do it with LCPs and the like.

My hangup is the gun. I don't want a tiny gun as my primary. As a backup, maybe. I might just be stupid-phobic about it though, but I worry about the next mall or church shooting, and going into one of those with a J-frame or PPK seems like a bad idea as I am not James Bond. Sounds like you might feel similar, not wanting a 2 inch .357 as a primary either.

If you end up going with the pocket-rocket, I'd try for something hammerless like a baby Glock, or Khar. I have pocket carried the PPK a few times, and the hammer can hang up on your pocket during the draw ... and there is a surprising amount of lint in most people's pockets that finds its way into hammer channels, etc.

13. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    I know better, I'm just getting frustrated. I think I might try and carry the G32C in the waistband. I found this holster-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITP-IWB-PREMIUM-LEATHER-HOLSTER-4-GLOCK-19-23-32-/180612686776?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0d5ae3b8
    and it looks pretty comfortable. Also looks like something I could wear under a suit jacket, polo, whatever.
    Eta*
    I like this one too-
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glock-17-19-26-22-23-27-31-32-33-Leather-Holster-Black-/170719826539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bfb1d26b

14. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Nothing wrong with a 6 shot medium frame revolver, but I like to carry more than a jframe off duty.

15. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    I agree. I just get this feeling that as people get more desperate, it's more likely that stupid things will begin to happen. In that case, I'd feel better with a higher capacity, more accuracy, and a familiar manual of arms. I carry a G22 every day for work.

16. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    For a few extra bucks I would try the hybrid holster like the Galco king tuk, Tommy theis, shielded holster, or crossbreed holster. They all have a 2 week try it deal, if you don't like it return it. And you get a lifetime warranty.

They look weird as hell, but they really are the best iwb in my opinion. I use my crossbreed almost 95% of the time off duty, very rarely go owb anymore. Give it a shot, you don't like it return it.

17. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Jan 2, 2007
    I think the king tuck looks like a.....strange device. But I admit I've never tried one.

18. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    In that case a G27 with G22 mag as a spare would be perfect.

19. I carry every day. Most of the time I wear the King tuk (which I love). I just wear an undershirt to prevent it rubbing on skin then you can wear whatever you want over it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine