close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

# of Rounds, Glock the Plates

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by wilhelm51, Sep 14, 2012.

1. wilhelm51

wilhelm51
    Expand Collapse

I probably worry about details like this too much, but here goes:

You load 11 rounds into each of four magazines. You put one in the gun for your first string, chamber a round and when the buzzer sounds, you are off to the races.

You are shooting exceptionally well today and with six rounds you hit all six plates. You now have one round chambered and 4 in the magazine. You change out the magazine for one that has 11 rounds in it. You now have 12 rounds in the gun, the maximum number of rounds allowed is 11 for Glock the Plates.

Should you have taken one round out of the fresh magazine leaving you with 10 in magazine and 1 chambered, cleared the gun and then started over using the fresh magazine with 11 rounds or is this something that one doesn't need to worry about?

Thanks
    wilhelm

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 wilhelm51, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Yes, you need to download to 11 total rounds in the gun for each string.

3. wilhelm51

wilhelm51
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, that is the answer I expected and that is what I did the first competition I shot. The second one it didn't matter because of the misses. But watching others shoot, I just don't recall seeing others following that sort of procedure. (I also don't recall if I noticed that they should have either.)

wilhelm

4. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

wilhelm- I wouldn't use that particular procedure that you described - but, however you choose to begin each string with the 11 rounds in the gun is up to you. There is never a need to actually eject a round between strings and that simply adds to extra clearing-type moves and extra manipulation of the gun. If your mags have 11 and your gun has one in the chamber, thumb a round off the top (which you implied you do).

#4 SARDG, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

A lot of use a stripper mag. All the mags are loaded with 10 rounds the stripper mag whatever you want. When told to make ready. Put the stripper mag in the gun and put one in the chamber pull that mag out and put in a mag with 10. If you don’t empty the gun pull the mag out and install a mag with 10 rds. You have 11 rounds in the gun. If you empty the gun? Put the stripper mag back in and put one in the chamber pull it out and put a mag with 10. I do this for all stages. I’m doing the same thing each and every time. My stripper mag has an orange painted base plate. Simple, fast and less complicated.

6. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh
    Expand Collapse

This last match, I just thumbed off a round off of each mag as I progressed to the next string (started with 11rds in each mag, then stripped off a round manually from the magazine before I loaded it into the gun).

Worked well.

7. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

I don't do that - but instead of unclebob and I going back and forth again, describing the virtues of our particular procedure(s) ad infinitum, simply read this thread:
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1422175

8. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

As you can see there are many of ways of doing it. What I don’t like about thumbing off a round is unless you have something to catch that round you thumbed off and having many of Glock matches the shooter has a tendency of trying to catch the round as it starts rolling off the table. Hands start going in front of the gun, and the muzzle starts going everywhere. In practice try it different ways and see what works best for you.

9. PM720

PM720
    Expand Collapse

I use a stripper mag. That is the ONLY way to do it and if you don't do it my way you suck and baby seals will die and the planet will tilt on it's axis leading to the next ice age! :whistling: :tongueout: :wavey:

Scott

10. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Wow, now there's a man of his convictions! :supergrin:

11. emtjr928

emtjr928
    Expand Collapse

I used to have a collection of "Stripper Mags" until my ex-wife burned them all!

:steamed::rofl::angel:

12. DannyII

DannyII
    Expand Collapse

I prefer the single stripper/Barney mag, and 10 round mags approach.

I carry a spare mag in a Glock mag holder on my weak side when I carry anyways, so I just put a fully loaded 19 mag with an orange baseplate in it for the matches.

Then:
    1. Insert Barney mag in empty gun, replace in mag holder.
    2. Load & make ready.
    3. Shoot string.
    4. Insert Barney mag if gun is empty again, 10 round mag if it's not.
    Repeat as necessary.

For me, during matches it's easier to notice slide-lock on an empty gun than have to remember to thumb a round off if there's still one in the chamber. +1 on trying to keep track of that loose round if you thumb it off, too.

YMMV.

13. wilhelm51

wilhelm51
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the advice. Obviously GSSF can give away all those guns because they can make it back on the number of mags one has to buy to compete.

wilhelm

14. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

...but you can get by with 4 for each gun model you'll shoot. It's just that many of us get carried away and load up mags for the entire weekend match before we leave home.

15. wilhelm51

wilhelm51
    Expand Collapse

I've got 9 already for my G17. I enter two divisions and 8 are needed to shot one division after the other without reloading. (The 9th is at home with the home defense rounds in it.) Once one stage is completed, I reload and move to next.

I learned that pretty quickly.

wilhelm

16. SARDG

SARDG
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like you have a 'system'. :cool:

Ed's Public Safety will have Gen4 mags for sale for $20 ea at Conyers if you're going and feel the need for more - but 9 mags gives you about 7 more than some folks.

17. range goddess

range goddess
    Expand Collapse

I have my charging mag to chamber a round from and my other mags loaded with 10 rounds each. I would be afraid I would forget to thumb the one round out of a mag loaded with 11 and end up with 12 rounds. (although I sometimes wish I could have that extra round....or 2 or 5... or more..... when shooting the plates)

18. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse
    RetiredDinosaur
    Millennium Member CLM

That's how I've been doing it ever since the Democrats passed that silly mag ban law in 1994....

What ever way you decide to do it, be consistent about it, that way yer less likely to screw it up.

19. PM720

PM720
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, 7 x ?? = :dunno::whistling:

Scott

20. Glockrunner

Glockrunner
    Expand Collapse
    HOOYA DEEPSEA

And then have to buy a wagon, to haul all of the ammo and magazines around.:rofl:

We only shoot two catagories and I am dabuting a new wagon myself:faint: