close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Oddball Mossberg 500?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by sambeaux2249, Jun 29, 2010.

1. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    I just picked up a new Mossberg 500, and a few things seem odd...
    I got a 6 shot with an 18" plain bead barrel, parkerized. It seems to have
    a sporting forend rather than a tactical model that I expected. It also
    doesn't have an action tube, just action bars pinned to the forend.

It kinda looks like someone took a tactical model and put field stocks on it, or took a field model and put a short barrel on it.. They don't make parkerized field models, do they?

Sam

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Oct 2, 2003
    Florida
    Looks just like my #50521 but yours has a heat shield.

I could not find my model in their 2010 catalog or on their website, but the date on the box says it's only a month out of the factory.

Cost me about $30 for a 6.5" tube and Choate short ribbed forend once I figured out that it didn't have "real" tube/forend.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  3. Did you buy it new or used?

It looks like a 500 field model with the matte finish that has had an 18.5" barrel and heat shield put on it.

If it was used, I wonder if the 500 field matte was sold as a combo and someone sold off the 28" barrel and put on the heat shield.

4. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    I bought it new. I also looked on Mossberg's website, and I didn't see any such model. Bud's gunshop, on the other hand, lists a Mossberg 50516 that looks exactly like mine.

I ordered a 7 3/4" action tube and a Hogue stock set. I got the action tube in but the stock set is backordered. *sigh*

Anyway... Two more questions come to mind...

1) How do I get the heat shield off without scratching the barrel? It looks like I have to remove the front bead?!?

2) How do I replace the plastic safety? The safety is held in with a tamper resistant screw.

Sam

5. TECH51

TECH51

Mar 28, 2010
    SA TEXAS
    If it's not what you ordered take it back.. To remove the H S you take the barrel off and H S bolts and pull to the back side of the barrel. The tamper screw I just drill a pilot hole and remove it with a screw extractor.

6. armslist

armslist

Feb 2, 2009
    That looks like a nice unit. Did you want an AR style collapsible stock?

7. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    I bought it off the shelf. I'm happy with it, just a bit confused.

I managed to get the screw out and to replace the plastic safety, thanks. :)

Sam

8. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    No thanks. :) I'm not a fan of collapsible stocks. I really like the Hogue stocks. I have a set on one of my 870's.

Sam

9. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I saw that same setup at a Gander Mountain. I prefer the ribbed forend and the synthetic stock like the 590s come with. Those stocks are easy to cut down. All you need is a hacksaw and a drill to extend the holes where the pad screws in. Then refit the pad with some pretty coarse sandpaper. Those little shotguns kick like a mule. Have fun.:supergrin:

10. gnepig

gnepig Remember

Oct 13, 2009
    Fl

I like that gun alot, just the way it looks in the picture. How much was it, if you don't mind me asking?

11. TECH51

TECH51

Mar 28, 2010
    SA TEXAS
    buds has it for 289.00 delivered + with a pistol grip.

12. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    The store I bought it from had it listed for $309. I'm reasonably sure they bought it from Bud's gunshop. It's the exact same model, and as far as I can tell, it is only available from Bud's Gunshop.

I like the fact that it's parked. I'm waiting for my replacement stock to come in. I'm pretty ambivalent about the heat shield. I tried to remove it, but didn't want to scratch the barrel, so I put it back in place. I'd love to fit rifle sights on it.

It feels pretty good. I'm shocked by how light it is.

Sam

13. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    Thanks! :) I just added Hogue furniture. I'll have to post new pics, I suppose.

Sam