Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

OC'd today for the first time - Kinda Funny

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Willfulone, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Please see my post below. What this fellow experienced is highly unusual.
  2. AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    OC is pretty much a shoot me first bad guy or steal my gun with your gun event. I've done it once that all.

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    I mostly CC but here in Virginia Beach it is not uncommon to see someone OC. No one says a word usually.

I was in Home Depot a couple of months ago and while waiting for my paint to be mixed I looked over to my right and saw a guy OCing. Soon another man walked up and asked what holster that was and if the OCer liked it and stated what holster he was CCing. Next a second guy who overheard the conversation commented that he used a holster made by the same company for CC.

I was also CCing but didn't chime into the bro-fest. There were 4 of us excersizing out rights at the paint counter that day! God bless whats left of America.
  4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
  5. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Yeah, that happens a lot, doesn't it? I can think of one in Richmond at a location where you would never find me OCing, and there are a couple, maybe three gun grabs on record.

What are some you've come across?

6. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    There's something that those of us who do open carry and have done so for a long while forget.

New guys ain't as smooth and cool acting as us veterans.

When we scan an area, our heads don't even move. Our eye movement is undetectable. We turn without really moving our bodies. Our smiles are disarming, not alarming. We nod to others and it makes them comfortable, at ease.

When we ask ladies with children behind us in the grocery line if they want to go first so the kids don't have to stand around and wait, they say thank you, not change to another lane.

I bet Willfulone was not as cool as us!!

All of the above is somewhat exaggerated. Some will say just a little. Some will say no way. Guess which group open carries more often...

Oh, the ladies with kids in grocery stores, that is not an exaggeration. I do it all the time...:cool:
  7. GIG4FUN

Jan 13, 2013
    well actually another reason now that I think about it...(see below)

You got it! I think it's too accessable to a trouble maker. If someone got it from him - is the line of thinking that weirds me out with it. I always thank him for not spending a round after a song or two :whistling:

I always have one at the ready BUT the only ones who know it are my bandmates and wife. Concealing it seems to be my preference to feel confortable with it in a room full of drunks.
  8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    OC. Do it for the children! :tongueout::supergrin:

I remember reading about one OC encounter that didn't go well. Guy OC'd in a bad area, either no situational awareness or the BG's were better at hiding their intentions than he was a sussing them out.

Anyway, they followed him into a convenience store at a gas station in a bad neighborhood, no retention, grabbed the gun. He also followed them out trying to get the gun back. All he got some ammunition back. In the chest if I recall correctly. I think that was local here in Detroit, unless I read about it here.

In a case like that, there were a lot of mistakes made. OC was really not one of them. At least it was not the root cause.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    It was in Richmond, Virginia.

Two guys followed the OCer into the store and immediately went for his firearm. He fought. They took is gun away. He chased them around inside the store. One guy shot him.

Later that night, the guy shot someone else.

The shooter's grandmother lived in the same apartment complex as the victim. Never heard if that was a factor.
  10. Cites, please. Yes it has happened three times of which I am aware. That's pretty rare. We have one incident on record in my state. One.
  11. Excellent points and observations. I'm sure all of what you mentioned is true and I concur that my normal actions while OC'ing, or even while CC'ing, are pretty obscure to the uninitiated. That and the fact that I am very polite and friendly anyway and in particular when visibly carrying a sidearm.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I OC daily into west central NH - no problems at all.
  13. I only carry concealed. I would use a retention holster before I would open carry. I think I would also carry a backup pistol.

I like keeping a low profile. It keeps people calmer.
  14. Laslo

Jan 23, 2013
    If my CPL renewal doesn't get here in another month, i just might OC.
  15. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    If that really worked I'd carry one one each hip!

16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas

OC isn't an option here in TX. I think I'd still prefer to CC anyway. I've never had anyone give me a look of alarm about something on my hip they didn't know was there.

It's a personal preference as far as I'm concerned. No problem either way.
  17. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Most folks just get over any attention seeking tendencies by the time they reach adulthood. This is why most choose not to go out of their way to get others to motoce them where concealment is legal.
  18. I like keeping a low profile too.
    It is legal to open carry in my state but I don't see anyone doing it in the area I live in.
    Too far north I suppose.
    Anyway, I would conceal even if a lot of people open carried around me because urban camo is looking like everyone else and blending in.Woodland camo in the forrest.
    Common everyday Joe in the city.
    I think it makes sense.
  19. It depends on the city, here in Phoenix it's common. As far as I'm concerned, if OC is legal, then too many people have become so weak they have to "hide" their gun and tell us it's a "tactical advantage".

Have some tactical bacon with that as well :supergrin:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

20. willy1094

Feb 11, 2002
    Anyone that thinks there is not a tactical advantage to a BG not knowing if you are armed or not is out of their mind. It is not a matter of weak/strong (how "strong" do you really have to be to walk around OC'ing?) but more a matter of common sense.
    What advantages to I have with CC?:
    ---NO ONE knows I'm armed
    -------I am not going to be stopped and asked ANYTHING by ANYONE.
    -------I will not be targeted by someone wanting my gun
    -------I do not have to act any different than I would any other day
    ---I'm sure there are others

Advantage of OC:
    ---You do not have to move a shirt/jacket to get to the gun.
    ---You get to look super cool/LEO'ish

^^^These are assuming you have both options. If my ONLY option was OC I would do it. Other than that, I just don't see the pros and cons in favor of OC.

ETA: Sorry to get back to the OP, that officer was super cool IMHO. He gets a big thumbs up!
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013