close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

OC decon advice

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by UrbanOps, May 15, 2011.

1. UrbanOps

UrbanOps

Jan 5, 2007
    MO
    I graduate the academy in 4 days. On Tuesday, we will be getting sprayed. Any advice on decon? I've heard of Dawn, Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo or whole milk help with some people.

I know it's going to suck BAD and I'm probably going to scream like a girl, but does anything help?

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    Baby shampoo and water. Nothing will take the hurt away completely, but that seems to be the easiest remedy.

Running cold water, sitting in front of a fan, etc. Those help. When drying off, do NOT rub. Blot your skin.

When showering again after training, do NOT let water run from your face down your body. The shower will reactivate any dried OC, which will run down and fry your balls.

3. UrbanOps

UrbanOps

Jan 5, 2007
    MO
    This may sound like a stupid question, but do you rub the shampoo on your face, mix it with water in a spray bottle or...?

4. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    All of this.

Also, run the water straight up into your eye and fall straight back down. Don't put your head sideways and run the water from the top. The OC will just go from one eye to the other.

ETA: The water will be your best friend, but don't spend too much time in it. Your eye lids may start cracking. We had one guy that spent a good 15-20 minutes in the water and started shivering uncontrollably.

It sucks leaving the water, but there should be a fan nearby. Get to that and move on.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I blotted the shampoo right onto my face, eyes open and all. Worked pretty well.

6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Well I don't think you can them to eat the stuff straight up gonna have to bake it into cookies or somethin.

wait.. this is not about decon and OC? oops, my bad.

:embarassed:

7. If you can get a spray bottle and fill it with cool water, that helps after the hose. That, and the fan. The main thing is, don't panic as some do. Just ride it out. It will pass.

8. Yes, and make sure the water runs off your face, and all down the front of you.... :supergrin:

9. UrbanOps

UrbanOps

Jan 5, 2007
    MO
    Thanks guys. I will try the baby shampoo. On a side note, does the decon spray/wipes work that they sell at the cop shops? One of our instructors said not to waste our money on that as being OC'd "isn't that bad".

10. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
  11. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    You need to force your eyes open and get fresh air running over them to dissipate the OC. Use your CLEAN and UNCONTAMINATED thumbs and forefingers to hold your eyelids open and then, if you're allowed to, start running laps to get the air flowing over your exposed eyeballs.

Have you been tased yet?

12. UrbanOps

UrbanOps

Jan 5, 2007
    MO
    We won't be getting tased. I would much rather be tased than OC'd.

Thanks, Cochese. I will try that soap.

13. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Don't waste your cash buying commercial decon products.

Just use water, forced air, and keep shower run off away from below the waist - OC seems to be magnetically drawn to sensitive tissue regions.

14. oh and if you gotta go pee, make sure you wash your hands real good first!

if you've had a spicy diet growing up, it won't be so bad.

what does your oc training involve? we have to get sprayed in the face, then run a short distance and fight for a few minutes.
    then we can decon.

also, baby shampoo works for me.

15. G_34

G_34 STUMPY

Sep 19, 2004
    Behind the Wall
    Get outta the water as soon as you get all the oc off. Get away from the fan ASAP. Run laps with your eyes open to get some air to them. The hose makes you feel like youre drowning, just stay calm and breathe.

16. glockurai

glockurai

Sep 2, 2010
    Florida
    Rinse your eyes with running water. One you get the burning sensation out of your eyes you'll be good to go.

17. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    OC is teh suck. Come near me with that crap and I shove that can up your backside and duct tape you shut.

MF

18. VinVega

VinVega Duct Tape?

Jan 5, 2005
    Northeastern KY
    I suggest screaming. Really, nothing helps, so scream. If the instructor tells you to stop screaming, tell him to piss off, you just got O.C.'d.

19. kgwld1

kgwld1

Aug 19, 2009
    All good advice but can't stress this enough cold cold water keeps the pores from opening lot worse with hot water and get it out of your hair also. Then ask thank you sir may I have another.....