close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Observations on the S&W M&P15-22 AR-style .22 carbine

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by DJ Niner, Feb 28, 2010.

1. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Trigger pull on mine is absolutely terrible. Like pulling a bag of trash up a flight of stairs using your trigger finger; 3 separate stages of creep, and you can HEAR the grating in a quiet room. I've shot a lot of ARs and M16s over the years; they must have spec'ed a special parts contract to get a trigger to feel this bad. I'll clean it up a bit, but I see a new trigger/hammer assembly on the horizon...

Lefties take note: Yesterday, I pulled the parts out of the lower receiver, and it appears as though the safety lever is reversible for left-handed use (two sets of detent cutouts, one on each end). Even though I shoot lefty, I didn't try it as my other ARs have conventional safeties and I want all my guns to work the same, but the option is there, apparently. Remove the pistol grip (two springs/detents/holes to keep track of; don't lose anything or mix them up!), make sure the hammer is cocked, and slide the safety out to reverse it.

Stock tube is hollow with a cheesy synthetic cap/plug accessible from the outside, through the rear hole in the stock. The plug fell off in the first hundred rounds, but I still see a prime spot to stash a few extra rounds of ammo if a secure plug could be fashioned. Anyone tried this yet?

This thing is gonna be worse than a boat for pouring money into it. I already want a full Magpul furniture set, several different scope/dot-sight setups, and a handful of mags of course. So far, I've added an ambi-model Ergo grip, a Brownell's flash hider adapter and A1 FH, basic black ladder rail covers, and a TruGlo red/green circle-dot sight in a cheesy QD mount (can see the sights in the lower third of the tube, though, and I really like that). Just the beginning, I'm sure...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  2. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    Thanks for the review DJ, been think of picking one up for awhile now one wholesaler i know of has them on sale now, it's the threaded model, the part about the boat pouring money in to it well you know what they say you got pay to play. still thinking on buying one, i like the idea for training with it, a whole lot cheaper than 223, any way congrats on your 15-22.

1911club#410

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Mine paid for itself in a couple months in .223 ammo savings when teaching a few people to shoot the AR. (I give the new shooters free ammo so I have to consider the ammo cost)
    I had a couple ladies run a bunch of magazines through the Smith first and when they picked up the AR they were immediately comfortable and accurate with it.

I've run several thousand rounds of Wal Mart bulk pack Federal and Remington through the gun. Pretty much the only problems I've had have been caused by the poor quality ammo.

The trigger on mine isn't too bad. One thing I noticed right away is the trigger felt exactly like my two Bushmasters.
    Although I think the triggers on my Bushmasters aren't anything to brag about.

[​IMG]
    I have my M&P equipped like my Bushmasters, for HD. I do a good bit of evening laser/light practice and haven't used the AR much because of the noise. The M&P works perfect as it's just like shooting the AR, without the noise.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  4. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    They have always seemed pretty pricey for just a semi-auto .22. But I suppose under certain circumstances (like what M2 Carbine described) that having one could make sense. It's just that you could buy 2.5 Ruger 10-22's for the price of one S&W M&P15-22.

This is my "tactical" .22
    [​IMG]

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    It's just the "I want it" reason, probably like in most gun purchases.

I've had a 10/22 for some time but when I saw the S&W M&P 15-22, right away I wanted it.
    This makes even less practical sense because I had recently bought a expensive GSG-5

Then what make even less sense is recently buying the SIG 522.:upeyes:

But that's probably how it is with a lot of gun owners. If they can raise the money they buy what they want, not what they need.

A case in point.
    My $638 Kimber shoots as well and is as reliable as my $1280 Kimber. The only reason for buying the gun that costs twice as much is I wanted it.

I guess if folks can spare the money that's a good reason to buy something.

If you can come up with a good sounding excuse for spending the extra money, that's even better.:supergrin:

What is that 22? I like that.:)
    That's got to be a fun gun to shoot.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. mag318

mag318

Jul 23, 2007
    Illinois
    The trigger pull on my 1'st M&P15-22 was good right out of the box at around 5 lbs with no creep. Over a couple thousand troublefree rounds it smoothed out even more. I like this rifle so much I bought a 2'nd one with the factory installed flash hider. Now I'm just waiting for warmer weather so I can break it in. I just ordered an NcStar Mark III rubber armored 3-9x42 scope with laser just for fun.

7. Sigtac226

Sigtac226

Mar 1, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I just picked one up recently too. Great rifles and a blast to shoot. I can see doing a few mods as money permits too. My trigger is not too bad either. About like a stock Bushmaster.

8. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Well, I'm glad to hear my trigger is apparently not representative of the breed. I pulled it out to take a look at it, and there are grooves on the sear surface that will catch your fingernail. It almost looks like a serrated ramp S&W revolver sight. I think I'll try dropping in a stock AR trigger from the parts drawer after this next test-fire session. I have several, ONE of them has to be better than this one.

bcvojak, I had a Feather Arms AT-22 just like that in the late 80's; I should have kept it. Fun gun to shoot, but mags were hard to find, mine wouldn't feed HPs very well and I was shooting a lot of varmints at the time, so away it went.

For those folks shooting the S&W M&P-22, are you running it wet with lube, fairly dry, or somewhere in-between? Favorite lube? Any lubes/oils that DIDN'T work well?

Thanks!

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    I run all my 22LR guns "wet with lube". The oil quickly blows out of the action and if you aren't careful the the semi auto bolt will quickly be dry when doing a lot of shooting. Some guns are worse than others.
    Just in the last few days while shooting the Smith and SIG 522 I'd re-oil the bolt/rails while shooting.

I'm not picky about which lube I use in the 22's but I do favor Break Free CLP.
    The only problems I've seen is people using no lube at all on guns. I've "repaired" several guns that the only thing wrong was the gun had absolutely no lubrication.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  10. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Jul 4, 1999
    West Texas
  11. DJ,

Both of mine needed some stoning to smooth the contact surfaces... that plus some lighter springs gave them both fairly good triggers (4lbs).

I run mine "in between" wet and dry... and I use Break Free CLP.

Good luck.

12. mag318

mag318

Jul 23, 2007
    Illinois
    I mainly lube the bolt guide rods with FP10, and a light coat on the exterior of the bolt. A friend just installed an ArmaLite 2 stage trigger in his M&P and it feels great, I may do the same.

13. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Second range trip today. 50 CCI Mini-Mag round nose, no problems. 50 CCI Mini-Mag hollow points, no problems. 60 Federal AutoMatch round nose unplated lead, 1 failure to eject.

Seems like this one prefers the CCI stuff. No problem, that's what I'll feed it.

The flash hider adapter did loosen-up near the end of the session, but it didn't fall off, so a little LocTite should take care of that. The light stoning I did to the trigger helped a bit, but I still think I'll swap-out the trigger and see if that helps. I'm confident enough in its safe functioning to start shooting left-handed (my preferred side with long guns) now, but I'll probably keep one eye on the ejection port to make sure it ejects each case prior to me pulling the trigger on the next one.

It's really starting to grow on me. A fun little gun, and a way to keep some of the rifle-handling skills sharper during the long winter.

14. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Did a little more smoothing on the trigger, and now I think I can work with it. Changed out a few of the parts, got a new front (Magpul MBUS) front sight for it, and a Swan Sleeve for the rear (out of the AR parts drawer). The Swan Sleeve should allow me to swap scopes/optics as much as I want without worrying about cumulative damage to the top rail. Also added a sling stud for a Harris bipod. Current photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  15. I've been wanting a M&P AR-15. Are the uppers and lowers from the 5.56 and .22LR interchangeable? If I got an SW AR-15, could I just get a .22LR upper and use the 5.56 lower? The way the magazine on the .22LR is made makes me wonder.

16. Spikes and Tacitcal Solutions make dedicated .22 LR uppers that will fit any mil-spec lower, including the S&W centerfires... both use BDM magazines.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is less money for a complete gun... although it is somewhat limited in what you parts you can easily change. (ie no fixed A2 butt-stocks or different hand-guards)

17. cptslick

cptslick

Mar 14, 2010
    Georgia
    I've had mine for a while. I had a slight problem with FTF, and FTE. I sent it back to S&W. I had it back in one week. They paid for it coming and going and gave me two extra mags. I like it a lot.

18. seamaster

seamaster

Feb 19, 2003
    I LOVE mine! Had it for several months and put about 3k rounds thru it and it's been perfect. I upgraded the stocks to Magpul and added a nice little Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope and it's a tack driver. It's my favorite rifle!

19. green marauder

green marauder GLOCK MILITIA#1

Heres mine and I love it, already started the upgrades put about a thousand rounds through it with only two problems, one FTF, and a fire out of battery.
    -Tasco Bantam 2.5X20
    -Leapers Deluxe See-Thru Riser
    -Leapers Deluxe Foregrip
    -TaskForce light
    -UTG rail covers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  20. heliguy

heliguy

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I got the $9.95 trigger springs from Brownells, polished the sear and trigger with the Dremel and it's a crist 3.5 lbs on the meter. It worked out so well that I did it to all my black guns!