close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Observations about longer barrel, etc.

Discussion in '10mm Reloading Forum' started by jeffreybehr, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    1. The 5.15" LW barrel makes more of a velocity difference than I thought it would. With 4 different identical loads, velocities are almost 100FPS higher.

2. This LW 5.15" barrel is also the most-accurate I've had in any of my Glocks. For instance, today's 20 5-shot groups averaged 3/10-inch smaller than the essentially same loads shot over the weekend thru the original barrel.

3. After a little preliminary velocity measuring Tuesday nite, the groups I shot today were strings with lower charges of Longshot and A7 and 4 loads of A9 creeping up to what I thought I wanted. Turns out 3 loads--1 with A7 and 2 with A9--of the 9 loads I shot had too-HIGH velocity for my desires for a 155g. PD load. Some may, but I don't need a PD load generating 10' velocites over 1375FPS, but it's sure a nice problem to have. :embarassed:

4. Based on ONE batch of 18 groups from 9 different loads, so far the loads with A9 are generating the smallest groups, but that's only by a tenth of an inch at 10 yards.

I sure am liking this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    i like your rig. Have been really tempted to get a 5.15 barrel, too.

I was just on the longslide forum, thinking it would be a good idea to cook up a 20L

I MAY just get a blacked LW slide, as it has the bullnose i like, and get a blacked and blind marked 5.15 barrel, giving me a mini-long slide, sans some of the weight.
    Of course, money is the only thing stopping me..

3. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Yes the longer barrels allow the expanding powder gases to give a little more push for a little long resulting in the high velocities you are seeing.

LooK at the site for actual test done...http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

4. ctkelly

ctkelly

May 9, 2010
    I think what the OP meant was he was surprised by the increase in velocity from a barrel that is just .55" over the factory length. 100 FPS increase just from a half inch longer barrel is pretty impressive.

5. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr Silver Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Indeed.

(My 1st attempt at a response was 'Yup!', but that was too short for the system to accept.)

6. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Sep 30, 2006
    The LWD barrel also has a tighter chamber, allowing less pressure to be 'wasted' expanding/fireforming the case to swell in the factory barrel...

I see 50 fps greater velocity with a 5.3" Lone Wolf barrel (980 fps) over a 5.3" Glock (930 fps) factory bbl, chroning each with the same .40 handload two minutes apart...

7. Cam Cooke

Cam Cooke

Dec 5, 2003
    I have a 5" KKM barrel in my G20 and a 4.25" Storm Lake barrel in my G29 I was very surprised at the velocity gains that I saw from my loads.

8. cwb

cwb

May 24, 2010
    I have a stock barrel and a LW 6" barrel and I have never seen more than a 60 FPS difference. It usually ranges from 40 to 55 FPS.