close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Obama just said...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Rabbi, Oct 16, 2012.

1. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    That was unwise, I think. It isn't going to get his constituency energized, but it will tend to grab gun folks by the lapels.

This will hurt him, I think.

2. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Sadly, I don't think it will. I'd venture a guess that very few gun owners are undecided voters.

3. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    I do not think that there is the political will to pass this again. Gun people are revved up by the recent, landmark wins in the USSCt, and there is a good chance that the Supreme Court would strike it.

Nowhere near 100% on the court, but Congress is another story. The anti-gun lobby has been having its ass handed to it in the states with the CCW laws. It isn't doing any better at the federal level either.

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Long Beach California.
    That may or may not be true, but what it may do is energize the more apathetic people to actually go out and vote.

5. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

Oct 10, 2007
    The NRA endorsed Romney.

Gun control is very low on the American people’s list of issues.

It would be political suicide to push gun control so even Obama, rated the most Liberal Senator (Biden was rated 2nd) did not touch guns.

Remember who demands gun bans whenever there is a mass shooting. It is only and always the Democrats and we remember.

And now Obama let is slip. Obama wants an AWB and Obama will have more flexibility in a second term.

And remember, Obama likes to bypass Congress and use Executive Orders; expect an AWB Executive Order under Obama.

6. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Sep 8, 2001
    USA
  7. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    You never know with our current court. Johnny boy might crawfish and drill us in the ass on guns just like he did on Obummercare.

8. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    Yep.

Folks, understand that, in a partisan election, getting people to change their minds is less important than getting your vote excited enough to go to the polls while demoralizing your opponent's vote.

9. Travclem

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Maybe so, who knows:dunno:

10. jp3975

jp3975

Nov 13, 2008
    Texarkana, Tx
    What you said is a foolish half truth.

Did romney sign off on an awb?

Yes.

Was what he did for the good of gun owners?

Yes

He intervened to make it less restrictive. His veto power would have been overruled and it would have been a hell of a lot worse. Why cant you understand such simple concepts?

Your point about Romney being the one of the two that has signed an awb is retarded. I could see it if you said that without knowing but its been explained to you over and over.

You either hate Romney and are saying whatever you can to put him down because you're a hater or dont have the ability to use logic and reason.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Not true at all. The best predictor in politics of future behavior is party affiliation and pecking order.

12. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Quite insightful... [​IMG]

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    o is waiting for second term, then ALL hell will break loose:alex:

14. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Not only did Obama mention he wants a new AWB, he want to make handguns more expensive. Here is a direct quote I grabbed from another thread.

So expect gun and ammo to be taxed so that that the average joe cannot afford to shoot anymore.

Romney did some stupid things in the past, but he is commited to keep the Status quo with the current gun laws. Also, unlike Obama, he will listen to the GOP voters and the NRA. You got to vote for Romney if you want things to stay they way they are with gun laws.

15. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    I guess we need to stop talking about Obama simply in the context of an AWB, and just refer to a gun ban in general.

16. Maxx702

Maxx702 ROTTWEILERS FOR TRUMP!!!!

Mar 4, 2008
    Nevada
    I find it amazing (in a disappointing sort of way) that some people here fail to recognize the dangers of allowing the clearly anti-gun President to serve a second term.

The empty suit community organizer serves at the pleasure of the Democrat Party. Some here have been lulled to sleep by Obama's sympathetic media, others are taking a stand against why they see as a wishy washy RINO.

There is nothing pro 2A or even moderate about Obama.
    We probably would have seen an AWB in Congress had the Dems not dedicated their efforts on Obamacare in 2009 and lost their super-majority in Congress as a result.

Like it or not, It's Romney or Obama. The distinction should be clear.

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

I should have also qualified that with saying I was referring more to CONGRESS than the office of POTUS, but it does apply to who is in POTUS as well to some degree.

:cool:

18. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet Home Alabama
    It doesn't matter which candidate takes office, if an AWB was presented to their desk, I'm confident they would sign it. All it would take is a few more shootings to get us to the point of Congress trying to implement feel-good laws, whether AWB or otherwise.

I'd be more concerned with some type of UN agreement to disarm the population implemented by Obama than a new AWB.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  19. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Now that's some past behavior!

20. But you're still forgetting the point that, whether you like the method or not, the healthcare reform WAS passed through both the Senate and the House, at the time with Democratic majorities. Now the Republicans have the House (and don't seem likely to lose it) while the Dems have the Senate. If your belief and faith in the Republicans is so strong, then you have to realize this would never clear COMMITTEE, let alone come to a floor vote and pass in the House. And if it doesn't pass there, it doesn't MATTER what the President wants.

And for those saying "Executive Orders!!!", when the fight was so hot for the healthcare reform, why didn't he save himself the trouble and just do it as an EO?? The answer is because that's simply not the way it works. EOs are not the "word of God coming down the mountain", regardless of who's writing them.

And I have yet to see anyone else address the ONE word that I think tells the REAL story of the President's answer:

Reintroduced

Politicians parse their words carefully, and some more than others. Do you think this one doesn't know EXACTLY what he was saying? He didn't say passed. He didn't say enacted. He didn't say in place. He said Reintroduced. So it gets read in the Senate well, sent to some committee, and dies a natural death. The President KEPT his campaign/debate promise, and then no one cares again.

So, yes, "Words mean things."