close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Obama: ‘Google, Facebook Would Not Exist’ Without Government Funding

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, Apr 16, 2012.

1. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm sorry, I thought Google and Facebook were funded by "private" enterprise?

2. aircarver

aircarver Ride Continues Silver Member

3. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    The Internet was born from government funding, so every Internet company wouldn't exist without government funding. Google and Facebook are just examples everybody can relate to.

4. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I believe Al Gore may have something to say about this...

5. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    The Internet was founded to facilitate communication between researchers and colleges. I'm comfortable in the knowledge someone smart enough to come up with any number of advancements could have managed the interwebs too - without the federal teat.

6. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    You'd be surprised at how little of their own money companies throw at research without government "incentives" (a.k.a. subsidies).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  7. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Nov 2, 2011
    Coast of Maine
    I will like to see Google and Facebook's response to his comment...

8. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    They probably won't say anything because they understand the point he was making. They probably realize that nit-picking statements, even when the point of the statement is obvious to all, makes one look stupid, and they don't want to look stupid.

9. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Barack Obama would not exist without government funding.

One more great argument against government.

10. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    I wish I had thought of that one! Tru Dat!! :wavey:

11. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

...The best possible argument against government funding! [​IMG]

12. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Actually, I believe it is you who would be surprised. My last company, we spent wheelbarrows of money on R and D and developed several unique items that made the principals wheelbarrows more.

Contrary to what you may read on the interwebs, the entrepreneurial spirit doesn't begin or end with government cash.

13. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    :rofl:

Perfect!

14. :rofl:best example yet :whistling:

15. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    Never said it did. Just said the Internet got developed with government cash until it reached the point where companies could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Google and Facebook wouldn't exist today without the foundations of the Internet already in place when they started.

16. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    Well, on behalf of Q -- that's not what you said the first time:

17. Chronos

Chronos

Nov 26, 2007
    This is the statist's ancient myth that science wouldn't get done without the government. Actually, the reverse is true -- government funding of science saps the initiative for private funding of science, and the net effect of government funding is negative for science as a whole. However, the usual dynamic is at work where the average person gets to see what government paid for, but you don't get to see the vastly larger amount of research that would have been done in the government's absence.

The whole story is spelled out in great detail in "The Economic Laws of Scientific Research."

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Economic_Laws_of_Scientific_Research.html?id=tKJuIBtjpvsC

18. pipedreams

pipedreams Member

Feb 19, 2011
    S. E. Iowa
    National defense was the original reason (Gov.funding). In the days of the old Soviet Union due to the fear of atomic attack the system was build so that if one city or area was knocked out the sytem would still work for communication between military bases. The colleges and researchers got involved later about the same time UNIX was developed by Kenneth Thompson and Dennis Ritchie at Bell Labs in 1969. Since then it has made history.

19. Gundude

Gundude

Mar 7, 2003
    I was pointing out the current state of affairs at most companies, which have little incentive to sink a lot of money into ideas that could take three decades to pan out, as the Internet did. That's a far cry from stating there would be no research without the government.

20. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Taking government money for research is not the same as being unwilling/unable to spend money if the federal largesse was not forthcoming. For instance, G.E. received billions of dollars from Obama's FedGov for Smart Grid research -- research that the company would have had to spend anyway in order to stay competitive with the rest of the industry.

But here's where the crony capitalism comes in -- the G.E./Jeff Immelt/President of the Obama "Jobs" commission/NBC-MSNBC Pro-Democrat propaganda circle jerk takes over. Everyone's aware of that incestuous connection, and it doesn't need to be dealt in detail here.

The question isn't whether a company had to take federal money in order to succeed. It's a case of who took the money in order to get an advantage in the market place -- and what part of its soul that company had to sell to get the bucks.