close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OAtmeal bucket questions

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Aceman, Mar 7, 2013.

1. DaneA

DaneA
    Expand Collapse

Go to your local small restaurant and ask if they can get them. I picked up a 50lb bag for $35 from the restaurant down the street.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep
    Expand Collapse
    Tackleberry

I wouldn't leave the rice in the bags. After a few years the ink on the bags begins to gel, I would call it, and slough off. It also degrades the plastic and, though I haven't tested to be certain, looks like it ruins whatever it touches, food wise.

I would take the rice out of the factory bags, period. Even the opened rice in a closed bucket will store better than if left in the factory bag.

As far as bulk oatmeal goes, we stock it in #10 cans from the local LDS home storage center/cannery. It's $2.50 a can here in the RVA and should be the same price anywhere in the CONUS.

We go through approximately one can per month normally, excluding any major baking projects.

3. Aceman

Aceman
    Expand Collapse

Great tip - thanks!

4. Gunlover66

Gunlover66
    Expand Collapse

Please be advised that Walmart.com does carry Augason Farms quick oats, but as with all AF buckets, they do not use mylar to line their buckets or pails. I don't know exactly how that would affect the "shelf life", but I gotta think it would be less than a bucket with mylar and O2 absorbers.