Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Oakland PD Gen 4 Glocks recalled - why?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Geordie, May 21, 2011.

1. Geordie

Geordie Idiot nonsavant

Jul 7, 2001
    SF Bay area, CA, USA
    If it's something that would put other officers at risk to discuss then I don't need to know and we can leave it at that. I have seen mention of poor reliability and quality issues, maybe it's just that.

But on the other hand, if your department is issuing Gen 4 Glocks then maybe you could do with knowing why Oakland, CA PD withdrew them from service today. They didn't wait until people came in off duty either, they called them on the radio and told them to come get their old guns back. Or so the local news says.

By now shifts have changed so I don't expect it is a current issue in Oakland.

I expect Glock will fix the issue in a hurry. I am happy with my 1998 G20 which has been 100% reliable.

With unreliable radios, funding cuts and now this... Oakland officers can't seem to catch a fair break.
  2. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

Aug 28, 2004
    Northern Colorado
    Great. I'm getting my department issued Gen 4 G22 in a few weeks. I have buddies who already carry it and have had NO PROBLEMS. My Gen 4 G27 is awesome, and have had no problems with it at all. But I have also talked to someone who has a Gen 4 G17 who said it has reliability issues.

If anybody knows the scoop please share.

3. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    What caliber? There has been much discussion about the Gen 4 G17s, particularly related to the functioning of the 9mm round with the two stage recoil spring, I believe.
  4. Meat-Hook

Mar 13, 2002

OPD Recalls Hundreds Of Recently Issued Guns

OAKLAND: New Guns Recalled From OPD
    Posted: 5:19 pm PDT May 20, 2011
    Updated: 10:25 pm PDT May 20, 2011

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Oakland police officers handed back their recently issued Glock 9mm semi-automatic pistols to the Oakland Police Department Friday afternoon after reports that some of the firearms were defective.
    Hundreds of the new guns were given to officers this week to replace older guns earlier this week. KTVU heard a police scanner report at around 2 p.m. of an officer complaining about a problem with his sidearm.
    An hour later, the dispatcher issued a call for all officers to return to police headquarters and turn in the new guns.
    Oakland Police Department Assistant Chief Howard Jordan said Friday that some of the guns were defective.
    "During training and some parts of yesterday, we found that the guns were malfunctioning," Jordan said. “We made a decision to recall the new guns so they don’t malfunction while an officer is on duty.”
    Police said the guns only malfunctioned during training and not in any emergency situations.
    The OPD have been in need of new guns for some time. For now, while the recalled guns get repaired or replaced, officers will go back to using the old sidearms.
  5. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    Hope this finally convinces some people that the Glock is not the perfect firearm that some it's rabid fans would have you believe. The old saying, you get what you pay for, comes to mind.
  6. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    Personally I love the small frame Glocks.
    Not a fan of the unsupported chamber so.
    From what I heard, it's the recoil spring. You would think that this was covered by now!
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  7. whmaxwell

Apr 1, 2011
    Cough... GLOCKTALK... Cough... Actually, I've had problems with 1911s, etc. so, while I understand your comment, Glock has produced very reliable guns for many years. Would I buy and depend on a gen4 9mm at this point? No, I still use my gen3 but the gen4 G22 has been perfect for me and I can certainly see what Glock had in mind for the gen4 changes.
  8. I'm liking the M&Ps. Made in USA also.
  9. mrsurfboard

May 23, 2010
    Just saying that they aren't the wonder product that some makes them out to be. They, like every other gun made, will malfunction.
  10. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I by no means slurp the Glock purple drank, but I have never, never had any functioning issues with any Glock I've owned... 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 34... through thousands of rounds.

It happens though. The whole Gen 4 thing aggravates me... if it ain't broke, don't fix it comes to mind...
  11. I'm stuck on Gen 2. Glock lost me with the finger grooves.
  12. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    I agree, I hate finger grooves on any gun. I know where to put my fingers, dammit.
  13. Not just that, but also, on the compacts, the stinking finger grooves do not, under any circumstances, work for me. Please, let me know, if, I left out, any, commas.
  14. Well, next week I trade my old Glock 23 in for a Gen4 22. I am look forward to it.
  15. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    I guess you want with the Gen4 to have some extra recoil spring assemblies on hand.
    Only problem with this is, I am not sure if Glock at this time sells them.
    They are not on the parts list.
  16. rookie1

Mar 3, 2009
    I have a Gen 3 Glock 17 and love it. It was my first gun. I dont own many guns a Glock 22, 23, 26 and 17 and I would pick the 17 to go to battle with. Have not shot a 4th gen yet 9mm yet. I just got a Gen 4 23 and dont like it. I KNOW its me, but had range a week ago and with my duty glock 22 shot two 100%. Qualified with my 23 and shot an 86. When I started 2 years ago we were given the RTF glock 22 and have had no problems. 6 of our new guys got Gen 4 22's and have not had issues yet.
  17. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    I have just the opposite problem. I have no issues with a gen-3 G23, but I have a hard time with the full-size Gen-3 guns.
  18. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

I had been away from Glock's for a few years. I shot great scores with my Styer, P99, M&P. Recently picked up a gen 4 Glock 23. I have no problems wiyh it and it shoots well. I qualify in the high 90's with all my weapons. When I had a Glock 22 I couldn't even qualify. I ended jp selling it. For some reason the full sized weapons other than the M&P give me fits.
  19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Kirk? Is that you?
  20. mrsurfboard

May 23, 2010
    I struggle every qualification with the G22. I hate it with every fiber of my being.