OAF recipes

Discussion in 'OX & Alex Forum' started by Patricia, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart
    Millennium Member CLM

Crock Pot Chili

2 lbs lean ground beef (I'm using some venison next time)

1 can black beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 packet chili seasoning

Throw it all in (if the meat is pretty lean you don't have to brow and drain first) and cook on low at least 10 hours (or remember that 1 hour on high = two hours on low)

I serve it topped with a bit of cheddar cheese and make the Marie Calendar cornbread mix to go with it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart
    Millennium Member CLM

Bacon Potato Corn Chowder (you can adapt this for the crock pot, just throw it all in and cook for 10 hours on low)

8 pieces of thick sliced bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces

16 oz package frozen corn

1 cup sour cream

1 1/4 cups milk

1 can cream of chicken soup

About 6 red potatoes, diced

Small can of green chilies (optional)

Cook bacon until crisp, and potatoes and cook until fork tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about an hour.

I usually do the crock pot version since I am short on time, and sometimes don't even cook the bacon first.

3. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Administrator
    Admin Moderator

oh that sounds GOOOD :drool:

4. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

Could I substitute the 'dillo I hit the other night. Dumb animals. He went between my tires I thought he would be OK, then I here him hit near the back. Must have jumped into my spare tire or something. DUMB ANIMALS!!!

Eagle

5. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Just saw a great recipe on the Food Network. Twinkie Tiramisu!

I'll report back when I've tried it....tomorow perhaps. I think it fate cause just yesterday I saw the Twinkies were on sale and I bought a box for the boys lunches.

6. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Hmmmmm, I guess I could have served up some pounded deer cutlets from my little fiasco of yesterday, but, I was never really that fond of road kill.

7. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart
    Millennium Member CLM

You tried it yet??? Inquiring minds. :eat:

8. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Administrator
    Admin Moderator

since he's taking his sweet time answering...he told me it was really good :)

9. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Speaking of twinkies, I was at a craft show once where they were doing the deep fried twinkies. I guess they freeze the twinkie, dip it in some sort of batter then deep fry it. I was out of dough so I didn't try it, but I have heard they were outstanding. The also deep fry snickers bars too.

10. And Oreos, and cheesecake, at our state fair. The fried cheesecake is awesome fried!!! Oh, and I had fried Ice Cream once, and It was pretty good, too.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

11. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Oh heck yeah. It was great. I posted about it in the FOOD forum. Here's a link to the recipe... http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_33273,00.html
    The only tweeks to the recipe I'd suggest would be to cut back on the espresso quantity a little....if you use the suggested ammount they twinkies will be soaked and will totally disinegrate...it would be nice if they maintained a little more of their original consistency. You want to get them mostly colored without drenching them. Also, make sure you dont whip the cream too stiff or it will tend to tear up the twinkines while you try to spread it since, of course, the twinkies are pretty friggin sopping with espresso.

So I saw this on the Food network the other day and I had tivo save the episode..... the next day I made it up in the afternoon.....than night my wife is watching tv and started the episode I had saved. So its desert time, I've got this resting in the fridge, she's watching they guy make this, she says "wow, that sounds great", I'm IM'ing Sharon and I say "she just said "wow, that sounds great"", then I go and whip it out and she's like "WTH!!". Pretty good stuff.

12. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Administrator
    Admin Moderator

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: sorry! :rofl:

13. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member
    CLM

The 'dillo would be just as good, and you wouldn't have so much hair to singe off. Plus, those shell sections would make good chips for frog egg dip.

Since they're both throw-backs to another time they would be about the same, nutritionally. The one advantage of the possum is that it has that little change purse built into its belly.

14. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart
    Millennium Member CLM

:supergrin: Thanks, I am gonna try it!!

15. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Any excuse to buy the big box of twinkies right?

16. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart
    Millennium Member CLM

Very yes, and of course I have to sample them to be sure they aren't poisonous or anything. Just doin' my part. :supergrin:

17. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

<-----Has new big box of twinkies....King Kong twinkies even. But I think I'm doing Bannanas Foster tonight.

18. mix 2 bags betty croker chocolate chip cookies per package directions.

spread as evenly as possible on bottom of buttered baking dish(9x13).

mix 1 box betty crocker brownies per package directions.

pour brownie mix on top of cookie mix, and spread evenly as possible.

*bake at appx. 350-375 for appx. 20-30min.

*time and temp for baking is still in the experimental faze.

this will cure any chocolate craving!!

19. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

:homer: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate

20. c-mama

Moderator Moderator

:bump: so I can bookmark this post. :supergrin: