close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

O/U shotgun recommendations

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Stonewall308, May 16, 2012.

1. Stonewall308

Stonewall308
    Expand Collapse

So me and a few other guys are buying an O/U shotgun as a wedding gift. The budget is $800 max, and by that I mean $700 would be better.

So, the obvious question is what make and model?

The groom doesn't know enough about shotguns to be disappointed with anything less than a Browning. But I would still like to get him something nice. I've heard the quality on the CZs in that price range isn't great. What about savage?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Ruger Red label. 20g for sure, double 12's are HUGE. For that price range the Ruger Red label will be the best value.

I personally prefer semi's or pumps in a gun less than 2k. I would love a O/U but wouldn't buy anything less than a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

I have shot some Ruger Red labels and they shoot well, but are heavy for size. That is the lowest I would go.

3. melensdad

melensdad
    Expand Collapse

The CZ guns now are pretty darn good and priced in your budget range. When CZ first started working with the Turkish gunmaker Huglu they had some quality control issues, seems like their reputation for good value, hardworking shotguns started to improve in 2007 or 2008. The newer guns are good to go. No, their are not Browning Citori quality, but they are priced far lower. Take a look at the CZ Redhead.

I see nothing good with the Savage guns. Heavy, don't balance well. The guy at Cabela's gun counter yesterday had nothing good to say about them!

#3 melensdad, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

+1 on the CZ O/U's. Great gun for the money.

5. FTjoe

FTjoe
    Expand Collapse

you can't go wrong with a remington 1100 or 1187 semi-auto for skeet or trap. very reliable and isn't a jam-o-matic. i prefer the 20g for skeet; 12g for trap.

i do shoot a stoeger condor combination (i think thats the name) O/U. it comes with both the 12g & 20g barrels so you can swap it out. it shoots as good as i can shoot. not a very fancy gun, but the scroll work will not break the clay pigeons. it was in the high $400s if i remember correctly.

not sure about the beretta or benelli lines & prices, but worth a look too.

6. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

I really like the Ruger Red Labels. But, unless you can find a deal one, they are usually out of your budget. Check out the Stoeger Condor, I haven't shot one. But, I've thought about buying one for the field.

7. rem2429

rem2429
    Expand Collapse

You might be able to find a weatherby Orion in that range.

8. MississipVol

MississipVol
    Expand Collapse

THIS - I love my 1100 20g