close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

NYT: Chevy Volt Pays For Itself...

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by evlbruce, Apr 6, 2012.

1. evlbruce

evlbruce

Nov 3, 2003
    ...in 27 years!Story

Looking at the chart it's not much better for most hybrids either.

What is interesting is that there aren't more of the new super diesels on the list (the only one being the Jetta TDI, which pays for itself in a little over a year).

2. robertoh

robertoh

Oct 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeh.and we'll be paying for Obama for generations.

3. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Interestingly, that's the same amount as Energy secretary Chu said he would like to see the price of U.S. gas achieve...

There's a strange synchronicity to this whole hybrid car thing, vis-a-vis the politics of "green" technology... :whistling:

4. evlbruce

evlbruce

Nov 3, 2003
    Coincidence? Probably not.

The funny thing is that the free market has delivered 50+ mpg petrol cars that still make more sense economically than the favored green technology of the moment.

5. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A

Yup -- market forces, and the companies responding to them, have come up with perfectly workable solutions, while statists flounder and resort to throwing more of our dollars at the problem.

6. stsai465

stsai465

Apr 17, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Don't forget; any money you save from gas, you'll lose when it's time to replace those batteries, that will inevitably wear out like all batteries do (assuming they don't catch fire and burn out early).

7. JFrame

JFrame

May 29, 2001
    Mid-Atlantic, US of A
    Yep -- and the "non-green" environmental burden of removing those batteries from circulation....

Eco-nuts are sort of like this era's version of alchemists, trying to find ways of turning base metal into gold...

8. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those tin cans.

They can have my SUV (Tahoe) when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

:steamed:

9. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    One of the many reasons I'll never own a hybrid.

10. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20110410/NEWS0107/104100318/

11. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Ah, yes, the thing that Democrat Congress voted billions of tax payer money into that Obama posed with. The car that had to be recalled because thay pretty much unilaterally ignite on fire. That's okay. Paul Ryan with have federal workers make up for the shortfall.

12. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Hmmmmm. 44 +27 = 71.

nnnnnnnnope. Like the concept. The technology needs to mature a little. I'm willing to let the tree huggers and hippies absorb the early adoption costs.

13. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    It's quite possible that truly electric/battery vehicles may become practical. However, for now they have to be sold to folks who drive short distances, mostly in urban areas and to those who aren't really concerned about the operating cost of the vehicle as much as they are about making a statement about protecting and preserving or enviornment.

The main problem with this scenario?
    Currently, the electricity that is used to "recharge" the batteries in these cars, is coal produced, and then gasoline of course comes from.....oil.

14. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Shhh... Don't spoil the surprise!

15. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    Exactly! I was going to make the same point.

16. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    Just between you and me, wait until the poiticians figure out that they have vehicles driving on their roads and NOT paying road taxes (from the sale of gasoline).:wow:

I can see it now, taxes collected electronically from the cars GPS system!

17. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    We use toyotas at work,they are generating $1k a week in revenue.'08.

18. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Somebody explain to me how a car, any car, pays for itself.

I've owned a lot of automobiles and I've never had one save me enough money that it offset the cost of it.

19. snerd

snerd

Apr 20, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Went to get my oil changed at the Nissan shop. I told the shop manager to go with some premium 15k mile oil, Mobile 1 or similar. He said very few come in for that. I said I was surprised, that the greenies should be all over that as it saves oil and the environment. He said the greenies and tree huggers don't want to spend the extra $20-$30 bucks for it! So I don't know who the hell is buying those things.