close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NYS Senate passed new gun bill

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by High Altitude, Jan 14, 2013.

1. n2extrm

n2extrm

There is a bus trip set up, I don't remember the date but I know I am out of state that weekend. NYSRP and the NRA are working on it as well.

2. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

i kinda think that was the point.

not saying they are fools...they are, but , i'm not saying it.

3. OrangePwr9

OrangePwr9

Bear with me here.

After the 2012 election I became convinced that the election process in the US has become corrupted...much the same as in the old Soviet Union. It matters not who the people vote for; it only matters who counts the votes...and those people are controlled by those who will 'win'. I believe this to have been true in NY for some time.

Judging from the actions of the media, they know something we don't and this could very well be it. Judging from the actions of the SCOTUS on Obamacare, they know it too.

If this is true (Big If for most, I know), then this corrupt system WILL put Cuomo in the White House in 2016. He's the one doing the most to further the stranglehold the ruling elites will have on a disarmed populace. He's the one blazing the trail to the tyranny the ruling elites desire. With this bill he effectively becomes the anointed successor to Obama.

If this happens, NYS gun laws, however they've developed between now and 2016 (and that might include outright confiscation) will soon be the 'law of the land'. The so-called political opposition will be there for show only; it won't stop anything.

If there's any truth to the above, there are two points to be made:
    1) New York's fight is everyone's fight (what's going on here now will be going on nationwide in a few years)
    2) Leaving NY for so-called greener 2nd Amendment pastures will buy only a handful of years. The one exception to this might be relocating to Texas; they have the right to secede and I believe they'd do it.

Now, I hope I'm wrong in this assessment. However, we've been blind-sided so many times that maybe we should start expecting and planning for the worst. The gun grabbers know from our past behavior that we'll think this is the end of it, accept it, and adjust.

However, their next step is already planned and waiting to be triggered by the next Newtown. Incrementalism is their game and they won't stop until the populace is totally disarmed.

I post this because so many in this thread seem to think that the democratic political system we've grown up in and learned to trust, is still functional. What if it isn't?

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

5. SK2344

SK2344

So the way I see it is that every State can pass their own Gun Control Laws, banning AW's and Hi Cap Mags. So why would the Federal Government bother with re-introducing the 94 Gun Ban Laws, just let each State control Guns in their State! Am I understanding this or am I confused! HELP!

6. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

For those that asked the law went into effect on Tuesday when it was signed (without the 3 day waiting period) Cuomo was afraid people would rush out to buy more evil weapons!

The line at the Buffalo Gun shop was around the block last Saturday and the wait at Gander Mountain is still 2 hours. Inventory is very limited everywhere. The good news is that every shop as of today is ignoring the new law as they have had no official notification on what they can and cannot do. You just need to find what you want FAST!

As for buying as many 10 round mags as possible, forget it they are sold out! (I did get mine).

As for my high capacity mags, they will be going to my residence in Florida. In fact they offer a Florida and Utah permit class here in upstate and I will be taking that next month. These two permits allow carry in multiple states.

7. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

You understand it. But for those pesky "Rights" States who want to safeguard Freedom, sometimes a bee up their knickers from Big Brother reminds them who gets the lions share of tax dollars from their citizens... ya know?

It's a Control Thing.

8. Outer Rondacker

Outer Rondacker

If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.

- Thomas Jefferson

9. Rustin

Rustin

Ride on brother.

The spirit of our forebearers will inspire us to take back our liberties and strike down the authoritarian sculmbuckets that run this establishment.

"Government is a disease that masquerades as it's own cure." Robert Lefevre

10. seassa

seassa

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rRSUEaLKvA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rRSUEaLKvA[/ame]

if only i could leave this God forsaken state.

11. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

First allow me to state that I am not trying to be a dick here, but Thomas Jefferson never said this. Here is a brief explanation: if a law is unjust - quotation

Although here is another great quote for you, this one from the Supreme Court:

No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it.
    -- Sixteenth American Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 177. (late 2nd Ed. Section 256)

12. silentpoet

silentpoet

I sent an email to the national Republican party asking about how they can keep such scumbags(I used different words) in their party. No answer as of yet, indicating they do not condemn such behavior.

On the other side, when is the first court case going to happen?

13. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

Even if a state passes an unconstitutional law it doesn't make it legal. Much in the way that congress can do the same. However, once(if) it is challenged in court it can be overturned (in this case for 2A violation). Just because the Feds aren't supposed to have micromanagement control over the states doesn't mean that a state can pass whatever BS it wants and trample all over your rights without facing opposition in court. There is precedence for this: D.C v. Heller -> McDonald v. Chicago. However, neither of these cases really clear up the overall gunban fiasco, and I am sure that we will see protracted battles over the next few years.

14. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

15. underwood

underwood

Seven rounds? Which part of thin air did they pull THAT number out of? This is why normal people hate politicians.

16. n2extrm

n2extrm

My take, because in the eyes of them no one makes a 7 round magazine. They probably didn't think of he 1911 or underestimate its draw. No one is going to cater to one state. So you make the fire arms makers the bad guy when you can't get a fire arm. Next the dealers will have nothing to sell or very little, so they start to drop of. Accept you can't buy ammo with out a dealer. So now the shops are they reason you can't get ammo. End the 2a issue by using the makers and dealers as your tool. You will disarm the entire state. It will take time but you will do it.

17. seassa

seassa

so I just came back from the SHOT show. I spoke with NRA-ILA and NSSF. They were not helpful. As I am already depressed and unhappy about the new law, the lack of support from NRA was scary. They had not read the new law (my attorney and I read it at the bar of the Ventian over two cigars and bourbon), and really implied that they were going to concentrate on national issues. Further, S&W, SIG, H&K, and Springfield told me they would not produce a 7 round magazine just for NYS. Glock said they would, but it would be AT LEAST one year, as they are 12 months back ordered on regular magazines. The gist is, as NY is the only crazy state that passed a random law, you are on your own. Now what about lawsuits? Well, I have lived in this damn state for 42 of my 44 years on this Earth. I lived through the 2000 Pataki ban, that was certianly going to be thrown out...never happened. This law will stand, we have no recourse once it hits the books.

I am looking for a home in Texas. They seem to like freedom there.

n2extrm is right. The end game here is disarmament, nothing else.

18. moeman

moeman

7 Rounds! Seven is 1911 terrotory!

We need to support NY in everyway... Don't let this get momentum!

19. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

IMO the most proactive is the Second Amendment Foundation I would check with them both the IL and NY challenges they started and the NRA cam in much later

I too agree they just want us disarmed. Don't forget even in Texas if it goes national they will take them as well. federal Law trumps State

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. n2extrm

n2extrm

If you to the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association are in fact working on this with the NRA. Go to their web site for updates.

http://www.nysrpa.org/

I don't know if we will win, but I am hoping there is a chance. We need to call the law makers and let them know where we stand in a calm, respectful, non threatening, non violent way. Most of the association have letters you can copy and paste into an email or word document.

I believe support from people out of the state if also positive. This guy wants to run on a national level. Let him know Ohio, Texas where ever knows what he did and that its wrong.