close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

NY new gun law and US FOPA "safe passage" law conflict?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gallium, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    Scenario:

NY has a ban on mags over 10 rounds, and a limit of 7 rounds in a magazine.

If I (anyone) who is lawfully able to possess a gun and the ammo for that gun, am I no longer able to have the ammo in my magazines with the mags loaded past 7 rounds at check in when I declare my guns? In the NY metro area (and at other airports) the police are summoned upon declaration of a gun - any gun to ensure the possessor is lawfully able to possess.

I have gotten small grief in the past with having clearly identifiable pre-ban mags (loaded or unloaded). Those mags are not what I am talking about in this thread. I am referring to showing up with three mags worth of rounds where mags are loaded.

Only time will tell, and a test case.:faint:

2. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Tagged:
    I too will be interested in interstate passage through NYS. In the spirit of the law regarding the FOPA travelling through NY will i be in possesion of a prohib device of being in possesion of 10 rd mags. Im a Canadian resident an travel in the U.S quite frequently for competitions an hunting with my hand guns. Any thoughts.:wavey:

3. WT

WT Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999
    USA
    FOPA discusses firearms and ammunition.

It does not cover magazines...from what I remember.

Ya' takes ya chances.

4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Well all I can say is to bad! Your no better then the average everyday New Yorker! Don't like it join those everyday New Yorkers to get the law over turned! Sounds like your upset cause NY treated you just like the everyday citizen. Why should you be able to carry any thing you want!:steamed:

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    It is too bad that I cannot drive to OH or VA without going through NY.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

What thread did you intend for this response to land in, Gunnut? :supergrin:

7. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    My guess is that now all of NYS will now be as big of a PITA to travel to or through as NYC has always been.

8. FriarTuck

FriarTuck

Dec 3, 2012
    Maybe avoid NYS?

Go through Michigan, or take the ferryboat across Lake Erie (don't know if it runs all year) to Ohio. Then there's northwest Ontario's border with Minnesota.

Anybody in northern New England is kinda blocked when it comes to land routes, same as West Berliners were in the days of communist East Germany. It's sad that we've come to this.

9. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Friar Tuck, thats what several us Canucks do. Its more out of convenience that I cross into the U.S. from any of the three border crossings that are within 30 to 45 min away.

10. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Keep them all locked in your trunk and drive through the state "non-stop" (only stopping for gas and at the drive-up window to pick-up/pay for your food). Keep a copy of the Federal Safe Passage law in the vehicle, and DO NOT SPEED.

11. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Yes sir, i follow that rule religiosly.:wavey:

12. Well this is a a concern of mine . We are planning on a trip to Orlando Florida for a GSSF competition. We normally travel with lots of magazines as me and my son compete. I am afraid I might be able to leave NY only to have a problem when we re enter with all of my 10 round magazines. My plan would be to only bring 12 magazines and then just leave those magazines in Florida with my brother till I can eventually move out of New York to avoid the hassle coming back in

I know they look at our stuff when we leave New York or Florida but I wonder if they inspect it when we come home.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

If you are flying, the issue is not when you return, it is when you leave. As it stands you can return with a howitzer if you declare it, but if you check a 22 oz bottle of soda and a salt shaker in your bag....DEFCON2. :faint:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  14. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Gallium
    Right here! Your a Cop or former cop! Well Coumo and the NY state Legistlature were in so much of a hurry to **** the law abiding gunowner they forgot to give you the pass on gun laws like FOPA gives you over the regular Americans. To freaking bad your no different then any other American! So when your stuck with just 7 rounds in your gun and you have to take down a terrorist cell think about how the rest of us gun owners feel! Like I said if you don't like it stay the hell out of NY!:faint:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  15. GLJones

GLJones

May 16, 2000
    Orlando, Florida
    Why all the hostility gunnut? I seriously doubt he supported or voted for the anti-gun politicians. I understand your anger toward the NY Politicians but taking it out on a fellow pro-gun person that is unlucky enough to live in NY?

16. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    You would be better off driving through the Arctic, through Russia, through Afghanistan, through France, and through the Atlantic Ocean! :animlol:

17. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

Ok then. I guess now it's official then? :supergrin:

Because I don't recall stating anywhere on the net that I am a cop, retired cop, former cop or any of that stuff.
    ** In fact, there are literally HUNDREDS of posts where I have very specifically said "I am not a cop".

I mean, really, here it is, as recently as... less than 30hrs ago.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19873151&postcount=38

Or did you deputize me and not send me my damn badge and gun? :rant:

:tongueout:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  18. cfrye11

cfrye11

Nov 19, 2012
    prior to the new bill you were only allowed to have Pre-ban mags that excepted more then 10 rounds.

now you can keep your ten round mags and only put 7 bullets in them.

as for interstate travel with a mag that is legal in say PA driving to Maine I think you would be covered as long as you don't plan to take the mag out and use it in NY. this should not have changed. this law does not give you the right to shoot or load your gun in NY only direct transport through NY.

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

CF,

I was referring specifically to a NYer traveling from within NY out thru one of the airports.

Does the new law mean I can't put 10 rounds in my mag when I am flying? But I can have 50 rounds in an a ammo box?
    Depending on the airline I am on, the rounds are in the mag, the mag is in a mag pouch and the airline is happy.

- G

20. cfrye11

cfrye11

Nov 19, 2012
    I didn't know you could fly with loaded mags. I thought ammo had to be in the original package.

But I would say no if you are in NY and put in 8 9 10 you have broke the law. Even if you are just about to leave the state. But the second you stop in a free state 8 9 10 30 31 32 33 should be all good.

molan labe