close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Now THIS May Make Me Leave iPhone

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

2. Ruggles

Ruggles

Not me baby I am staying Apple! :) Of course I am a Apple nerd since the 80s.....

3. Eric

Apple is the best of the Unix/Linux OS, with the worst of Microsoft's controlling nature mixed in. I am a big fan of truly Open Source software and I've been running Ubuntu for years. In fact, I am typing this message on an Acer desktop running Ubuntu. Good stuff. Eric

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I'd rather stick with Android.

5. Eric

6. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

I barely bought my first Iphone(5) a week ago. Let me use it first.:wavey:

7. Ruggles

Ruggles

True enough. When I was into PC Games I had some Window systems.....too many bad moments with issues to ever want to go back there.

I have never been let down by either Apple hardware or software. I have no doubts there are other equally good products out there but Windows is not one IMO. Not familiar at all with Ubuntu though. :dunno:

8. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Not me, I just finished replacing everything from the time I fell for the hype and wanted the latest and greatest fancy gadgets. Now I'm back to all apple

9. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Looks cool... Samsung made us do the move a couple of month ago......

This whole thing sucks though...unless you pay full price you can't upgrade devices at will....someday that needs to change...another thread...

10. Eric

If you have a spare system sitting around, download it and try it. For that matter, set up a current system to dual-boot with it or install it in a virtual container in Parallels. It is an outstanding OS.

I used Debian Linux for many years, before discovering Ubuntu. Glock Talk was hosted on servers running Debian Linux, with custom kernels I built, for over a decade. I don't host on my own servers now, or I would be running the place on Ubuntu-powered servers. It is good stuff. Eric

11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Ah yes a Linux derivative!

12. Ruggles

Ruggles

Cool I will do it. I am about ready for a new MacBook Air in March. Had the MacBook PRo for 48 months now and I really like the lightweight and slimness o f the MacBook Air. When I get that I will download it on this MacBook Pro :)

Heck I still like to see OS 9 on my Clamshell iBook running, good old school stuff :)

13. Eric

I run an instance of Ubuntu in Parallels, on My Mabook Pro and I use it quite a bit. It is a powerful OS. Eric

14. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Most industry pundits are writing off ubuntu phone OS as too little to late.

it's to far behind the curve to ever catch Android or Apple.

And as one pointed out, ubuntu true open source OS is going to be anathama to carriers. And without carrier support it will be relegated to a minor niche for Linux lovers flashing the OS to their phones.

15. Eric

We'll see. Ubuntu is taking a novel approach to unifying the OS'es of all consumer electronics. I hope they succeed. Eric

16. Dragoon44

I agree it is a great idea. But to go mainstream means over coming the iron fisted grip of the carriers.

Otherwise we are just going to end up with the duopoly of Android and Apple.

17. Eric

Or we may end up with an entirely new game. 'Control' is an elusive beast. Try to control it too much and it squirts right out of your grasp. I think Ubuntu and some other Linux flavors have done an outstanding job of fighting their way into the mainstream against some pretty tall odds and deep pockets. I wouldn't write them off just yet. If Open Source initiatives lose, we all lose in the end. Eric

18. Ruggles

Ruggles

I agree. As I said I have been a Apple nerd since the Apple IIc in 1986. I remember well when Apple was maybe 5% of the market if that. Software & hardware were darn near impossible to find. Apple looked like they were going to go belly up. And now look at them.....

I would have never guessed it would happen as much as I love their product. Heck I bought Apple stock at $22 and sold it at $44 thinking I was the man for doubling my money....I can't even look at the stock price now cause it makes me sick :crying:

Somewhere around $540 os so now I think. Was over $600.....and so ended my great stock to riches schemes :rofl:

19. Eric

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNa4EMUWnAc"]Spot Apple - "Apple Forrest Gump" - YouTube[/ame]

20. Dragoon44

I think the key to change is not going to be a New OS it is going to be new players in the wireless market. Ones willing to give up some of that control AND provide wireless services cheaper than the big 3 do.

Google has been making noises about entering the wireless business wanting to provide unlimited data plans for 9.99 a month. THAT would shake up the industry if they can pull it off.

Another completely open source Phone OS would certainly be attractive to the manufacturers. Samsung is forging ahead with it's "Tizen" phone OS to reduce it's dependency on Android. If that does not work out, (As their previous attempts have not) Just maybe they will take a hard look at Ubuntu.