close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Now the Colt guys are going to hate me - Officer's Model Match - wow! :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    This year has been incredible for me when it comes to finding and purchasing vintage classics in beautiful condition. I just picked up this like new in box 1960 Colt Officer's Model Match in 38 Special. Its got the Python action and it feels at least as smooth as every Python I own. Its five years older than my oldest Python, so that may have something to do with it, but whatever the reason, the action is truly amazing. The hammer is also shared with the Python, though this has the firing pin on the hammer, unlike the Python.

These guns share the serial number range with the Trooper, but there weren't too many built in comparison with some other Colt revolvers. They were made for almost 20 years from the early 50's through the early 70's, but in very limited numbers. They are precision target revolvers and were available in 38 special and 22lr. For a very limited time, I believe Colt offered it in 22 Mag as well.

Anyway, the gun, including the grips, is in absolutely pristine condition. In addition, its complete with the original box, registration, and the test target that these match revolvers shipped with. Most of them came with the larger Python walnut grips, but they were offered for a while with this smaller set. The rarer the better, as far as I'm concerned. The finish is the Colt matte blue, not royal blue, and other than the slightest muzzle wear on the tip of the barrel, it looks like it just left the factory. Lockup is very tight. I don't believe this one saw much range time. I'm hoping to get it to the range on Sunday. :supergrin:

Nuff said, I guess. Thoughts?

Please enjoy the pics. Its looks pretty good for a 52 year old revolver, eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    VERY nice.

I would love to have just the grips for mine. Originals are worth almost as much as I paid for the gun:shocked:

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Thanks.

Which grips does yours have, the Python grips?

I know most of them did.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Hate?......never!

Now, a little envy might be appropriate! :supergrin:

ooc

5. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

I wasn't that lucky. Some Bubba put Pachs on it. These were the only "respectable" wood grips I could find in a 200 mile radius.

[​IMG]

6. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    You have purchased more firearms this week than I have in my life! Congrats!!

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Very nice. This may sound sacrilegious to Colt guys but I like the Match revolvers better than the Pythons.

8. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Feb 6, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Very cool. That a nice looking revolver. I just picked up a Colt today as well..my first, and prolly only. I usually don't spend that much money on a gun, but I wanted to treat myself. :supergrin:

9. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010

Then I will really offend some when I report that my Officer's Model Match is actually more accurate than my Python.

I had no idea that the original grips are so valuable.

RJ

10. Beautiful! The craftsmanship of days gone by is on display with that one.

11. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

The last pair of the original to that era (1955) OMM were up for sale at around $90. I did exaggerate a bit. I paid a whole $240 for my OMM about 3 years ago. The owner of the shop said that nobody wanted "An old 6" .38" and he could use the room in the case. I felt so sorry for him I offered him what I had on me at the moment.:supergrin:

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I can certainly believe that.

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Wow, you stole that thing. :wow:

14. RJ's Guns

RJ's Guns

Dec 25, 2010
    $240 was a steal. I paid more than that for mine about 8 years ago

RJ

15. got2hav1

got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Congrats again. That is my favorite of your recent finds. It looks to be in very good shape. I can second your thought on the smoothness of the action and can tell you it is every bit as acurrate as my Python. Mine is a 1959 model with the full size grips. I love the fully checkered grips. Again congrats on a nice old Colt.

[​IMG]

16. FLRon777

FLRon777

Jan 25, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale
    This has been a stellar week B! If only you could see the smile on my face when I saw those pics!

Enjoy!!! :)

17. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

bac, could you adopt me?

I can cook, clean and mow the lawn! :rofl:

THAT is a gorgeous weapon!!!:wow:

TGG