close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Now it turns out the Colorado nutjob had no body armor.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Deaf Smith, Jul 24, 2012.

1. RussP Note: I moved these posts into a new thread so as not to distract from the Please consider: More CCWs, instead of less, could minimize such atrocities thread.

Now it turns out the Colorado nutjob had no body armor. Just commando black gear and a PAST helmet. And he was under the care of a doctor and maybe off his meds (might have been schizophrenic.) A 'victim' is looking to sue his doctors for not monitoring him enough. And... turns out he was on scholarship that paid his tuition plus $26,000 Uncle Sam federal grant! That is how he paid for the guns.

So I guess Obama is right in his case. He didn't do it alone, the government helped him.

So yes, get your CCW cause the more out there the more of a chance to stop such. And the government won't help you.

Deaf

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Deaf, where did you find that information?

3. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Retailer-who-sold-to-Holmes-getting-backlash-3730881.php

" TacticalGear.com filled an order received on July 2 from Holmes, who allegedly opened fire inside an Aurora, Colo., theater on Friday, killing 12 people. Holmes paid $306.79 for an urban assault vest, two magazine pouches and a tactical knife.

Chief Executive Officer Chad Weinman said despite its name, the urban assault vest is not bulletproof, but is simply a vest made for carrying accessories."

http://www.live5news.com/story/19099951/co-shooting-survivor-threatens-to-sue-studio-theater

"Finally, Karpel told TMZ doctors for Holmes will be sued because they did not properly monitor him. Karpel claims the suspected gunman was on several medications. The claim has not as yet been proven."

But considering he seemed to be doped up at the hearing I bet soon we will find out what all he was on and who his doctors were.

Deaf

4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    In fairness, it would behoove all to read Mr. Weinman's complete statement here.
    I wonder, sitting there in his Beverley Hills office, how many others Karpel called before getting one to bite? I have nothing against Beverley Hills lawyers in general. Many years ago I had one on retainer myself. Bob referred to himself as "the New York City Jew attorney in Beverley Hills!" He was brilliant and a pit bull in litigation.

So far, though, Karpel has started a rumor without basis which will become an "Internet FACT."

As far as Holmes' demeanor in court, did any of y'all as a kid ever pretend to be sick to get out of going to school? You'd make the awful facial expressions of a kid with the worst stomach ache ever, moan and groan...

Call me cynical, but I'm waiting for the mental health evals before buying the court appearance as anything other than a hell of a cold, calculated, well rehearsed act.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  5. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/2...-suspect-laid-out-plans-in-package-mailed-to/

EXCLUSIVE: Movie massacre suspect sent chilling notebook to psychiatrist before attack

Not HIS psychiatrist but it makes one wonder.

Yes we wait till facts come out but normal people don't just say, "hey let's go blow away a movie theater." Nutjobs leave a trail of signs. And the suspicion is he was under the care of psychiatrist.

Maybe those who worked for the university he went to. After all, student healthcare and all that.

Deaf

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
  7. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    No unobtanium trauma plates? No Klingon force field protection? Not even a Romulan cloaking device?!?!

Strange... the GTers who own--or pretend to own--firearms as a fashion statement, swore to me that that the 150 pound needle dicked wunderkind was immortal.

Imagine my surprise that their assessment of needle dick's vulnerability was FOS. :shocked: :upeyes:

8. AZ Cat

AZ Cat

Aug 14, 2010
    Funny, but after hearing all of the reports about "bullet proof vests and "body armor" the first thing I thought was that I bet he had a tactical vest with no actual armor. Lots of people buy the vests, only a few actually get armor IMO.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

9. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    This is exactly why i refuse to subscribe to the "its futile, nothing can be done" mentality that many have been preaching since this terrible event occured. This guy committed a terrible crime yes, but he was just a goof-ball. He was not some super-soldier or hard target tuff guy. If its time to fight for your life then get to it and dont give up.

10. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    Outstanding post!

11. Never mind. I'll leave it at what Fred H, AZ Cat and FireForged said.

12. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    Surprised I am not! When I heard he had "body armor" I took it with a grain of salt because I know how the media loves to exagerate everything.

I have Line-X in the bed of my truck, does that make it an armored vehicle?

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Either he was really crazy, or that was part of his plan for an insanity defnese later. :upeyes:

14. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    I see some jumping to conclusions here. If we go by the single invoice presented as evidence, Holmes had a single-shot rifle, as there were no magazines ordered. Oh, he didn't have ammo either.

Hmmmm. Might he have bought stuff from more than one place?

Hang on, let me grab a link.

ETA: go here http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2012/07/20/mass-shooting-aurora-colorado-movie-theater/5738/

and look at photos 42, 49 and 57. Those aren't anything off the invoice you linked, and bear more than a passing resemblance to a soft vest and an armored leg piece.

15. r3dot

r3dot

Sep 6, 2007
    Izzerwat TX
    I very much doubt he is schizophrenic. Very few schizophrenics are violent. A little FYI there. Don't label all mentally ill people as violent killers.

16. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    I'm going to start referring to all my shirts as body armor.

Also, I need to come up with a good media-worthy rebranding for my pants.

17. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    Tactical, urban assault leggings?

18. grizman

grizman

Feb 11, 2009
    Anyone else notice the AR had a std 30rnd mag in it, the reports said he had a Beta 100RD mag in and the rifle jammed. It has been reported the shooter then switched to one of the pistols to finish his spree.

So he cleared the malfunction, slapped in a 30 rounder before surrendering?

Fishy?

19. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    No. One witness statement has a bunch of brass hitting her "except when he was reloading". Cop transmissions mention live rounds on the floor. GT cop who was there reports him having more 30 rounders on him when he got hooked.

20. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    Does TacticalGear.com know it was the best he bought from them he wore that day? Did the media misquote the Chief with the comment below? Could he have had a bullet resistant vest under the vest to carry all the accessories he needed?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ing-guns-dropping-out-of-graduate-school?lite

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012