close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Now how about USB ports on laptop?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tpiini, May 11, 2005.

1. tpiini

tpiini

Jan 9, 2004
    Since I got my hard drive question answered so quickly, I'll try one more for tonight...

My Dell laptop has USB 1(1.1?) ports. Is there any way to make them USB 2.0 ports? I'm guessing here that if possible, it's a deep dive into the case and not just a software thing, right? I guess I could use a PC card, but I usually have a wireless card stuffed into that port.

Thanks some more,

Tom

2. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Feb 15, 2002
    CA
    Adding a USB Port

If your computer doesn't have a USB port or you want to add the newer USB2 functionality, you can add USB or USB2 by buying an inexpensive adapter card that fits into a PCI slot in your computer.

If you have a notebook computer, you can purchase a USB port that fits into the card slot. However, you should be aware that USB devices can use a lot of your computer's power. This is not a problem if you have a desktop computer or are using your notebook computer with an A/C power cord. However, if you plan to run your portable computer on its batteries, a USB device can be a power drain on the batteries.

http://www.aarp.org/learntech/computers/howto/Articles/a2002-07-15-usb.html

3. darin2

darin2

Apr 14, 2001
    Georgia
    The USB ports are hardware, not software. You are correct, you cannot change the ones you have.

4. podwich

podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    MI
    Do you only have 1 PC card slot? Some laptops have 2-one on top of the other.