close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Noveske Complete Rifles

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by djegators, Feb 14, 2010.

1. djegators

djegators

Mar 1, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Strongly considering one of these, but can only afford the "basic" model. If I get this:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bi...-lrb-556&cat=47&page=1&search=&since=&status=

...looks like the main thing I will not be getting is the rail hand guards, which is not that important to me, and I can add later. Or is it well worth it to save up the additional $500 to $600 to go up a notch?

Also considering the BCM middy, either the Recce or not, might be a small difference in price, but seems real close, with all options considered.

Whaddya think?

2. Randolph da man

Randolph da man

Nov 12, 2006
    save a little more $$ and get the railed version.

you cannot go wrong with a Noveske. period.

3. phxfa

phxfa

Jan 3, 2009
    Noveske is still offering there blem stripped lowers with an upper purchase, did that with my 6.8 and saved a little cash

4. pierce195

pierce195

Feb 8, 2006
    New Castle, IN
    I went with basic to have the front sight post and changed the hand guards out. Couldn't be happier and my feer lower should be here this week.

5. gleasonb

gleasonb

Apr 10, 2009
    SW OHIO
    Good point about the lower, get the railed upper (!!!or VIS upper!!!) and free lower and throw a LPK in it and be GTG .
    Or do what I did, I got a complete rifle and the extra lower.

6. mikeyU

mikeyU

Jul 19, 2007
    Montana
    If I had the cash, I would have a Noveske in order, and yes I would get the railed model.

7. nsabjg

nsabjg

Aug 29, 2005
    FL
    Noveske makes a nice rifle. Get what you want the first time.

8. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    Centurion Arms and Bravo Company get their hammer-forged blanks from the same supplier as Noveske. Since barrel quality is basically the only thing which sets Noveske apart in the first place, it may be food for thought...

9. DaxE

DaxE

Mar 7, 2009
    They might come from the same place but they are not the same barrels at all. Noveske barrels gets made at the same place, but by diffrent designs and tooling after hours from what I am to understand. There is an article somewhere about it if you search around.

10. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    I would go basic and put a Larue rail on it, my NOVESKE middy is very front heavy, their rails are stout but very heavy.

11. Biggy1

Biggy1

Feb 11, 2010
    New Knoxville,Ohio
    I like my Noveske N4 basic middy and plan on getting the Magpul midlenght MOE handguards for it this spring.

12. Kegel

Kegel

May 9, 2009

Clueless......

13. :couch:Save your money and get a DPMS.

Just kidding. Noveske is a fine AR. You won't go wrong.

14. trifecta

trifecta

Nov 17, 2008
    DFW
    Reporting DPMS humor to AlaskaPoPo. Please report to him for public flogging.

15. djegators

djegators

Mar 1, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Any other thoughts on the basic vs the FSR (rails)?

What about the low profile? Looks cool, but it is desirable to have front and rear flip up sights, rather than the normal AR type?

16. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    No, it is apparently you who are clueless, at least with regard to the AR-15 industry.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=29295

The moderator "SMGLee" from that link reports on and tests all kinds of products in the firearms industry. I've never known him to get his facts wrong. In that link, he cites the Centurion barrel blanks as being supplied by Noveske's source. He has made the same claim about BCM's hammer forged blanks before, but I can't find the link.

The AR-15 manufacturing world works like this: there are a handful of manufacturers producing the vast majority of barrel blanks, and a handful of manufacturers producing virtually all of the receiver forgings and small parts.

Let's look at CMT as an example. CMT (mother company to Stag) produces various AR-15 parts, including bolt group components. Noveske gets his parts kits from CMT, as do some lesser manufacturers. The difference is that Noveske has fairly stringent specs (e.g. a shot-peened, HP tested, MP tested bolt), whereas an inferior company demands less stringently tested components.

With regard to barrels, it's a similar situation. A barrel manufacturer will produce blanks, and then either chamber and contour them to the customer's specs, or ship them to the customer for the contouring to be done in house.

Thus, we can see that I was indeed not talking out of my ass when I stated that it really is barrel quality which sets Noveske apart. His rifle-building model is to use what are effectively (though not officially) mil-spec parts, better-than-mil-spec barrels, and to have competent people assemble those parts. This is also how Bravo Co. and the rest of the top tier/boutique AR manufacturers operate; they buy "mil-spec" parts from CMT, high end barrels, and assemble them properly.

One could buy uppers from BCM or Noveske whose barrels come from the same manufacturer, and whose small parts come from the same manufacturer, built to the same specs. The only real differences between the two will be price and barrel profile. All things equal, I like Noveske's N4 profile better than the profiles offered by Bravo Co. and Centurion, but not hundreds of dollars better.

To the OP: If it were my money, I'd buy a BCM hammer-forged mid-length upper and drop either an VLTOR CASV-M or a D.D. Omega rail on it, and call it a day.

17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    He usually is.

18. Kegel

Kegel

May 9, 2009

SIT, boy.

19. Kegel

Kegel

May 9, 2009
    Kill the neighbors yet?

20. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

May 1, 2001
    Good explanation, however, in addition to a custom contour, Noveske also has a proprietary chamber, whereas BCM uses a standard 5.56 chambering. Noveske's muzzle and crown are also different. Centurion is a stand up company with excellent barrels. They get their Mk12 and Recce barrel blanks from Douglas Barrels - the military contract for the SPR Mk12 mod1. BCM barrels are of similar quality and orign. Can't go wrong with any of the three. Having shot BCM and Noveske, I will stick with the Noveske.

I built my SPR on a Noveske lower with a Noveske SPR barrel (with their low profile block and FH). I built everything else to their specs (the 1st gen model that came with the LaRue rail). I later changed the grip and stock out with a Magpul Miad and UBR. I saved several hundred dollars over what it would have cost to buy a complete SPR.