close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

noticed cruciform flaking?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MSims, Feb 10, 2013.

1. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

Well, I own a Glock so I guess I can say it: Regardless of who's name is on the slide, that's a pretty poor quality plating job to be fluffing off that soon. Even if it's "cosmetic" it still indicates a lack of build quality at least in the plating of certain components. Some estimate that it only costs about $50 to build a polymer handgun. Whether that's true or not I don't know. I suspect it's pretty close considering every Tom,Dick, and Harry is jumping into the polymer market. I know I must tread lightly here but Glock does not sit alone on a high mountain top away from all those that would cut a corner on quality here and there. If you really love your Glocks you'll let Glock Inc. know when you think they are dropping the ball somewhere. That's how we all get better at whatever it is that we do. Honest criticism is way better than misguided flattery. If it were my gun I would send Glock an e-mail and tell them it sucks and other gun makers plating is holding up quite well. Now I said it and I guess I am the red-headed stepchild now.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Inebriated

Inebriated
    Expand Collapse

Nothing, really. Some polymer parts and certain finishes have problems with Hoppe's. I personally used it and CLP for YEARS, before switching to Frog Lube. I still use it once in a while, but it's rare.

3. tonyparson

tonyparson
    Expand Collapse

Is your Glock a 9mm?

4. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

Not all caliber Glock extractors are straight and of course the reverse is also true,depends on caliber. SJ 40

5. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

All Glocks will start to di it sooner or later. It's not going to hurt anything. If your that worried about it replace it.

Or.........

Dump the Glock for a HK or Sig.:whistling:

6. NewportNewsMike

NewportNewsMike
    Expand Collapse

It's great stuff. That said, it will "eat" nickel plating if you let it stand on nickel-plated parts for any length of time.

The label on Hoppe's #9 original solvent has a "nickel plating" warning on it.

Sometimes it does pay to read the instructions.

7. MSims

MSims
    Expand Collapse

Not worried just none of my glocks from Gen1,Gen2 and most Gen3's i have never had plating flake off like that and shot thousands of rounds thru my other guns... Wouldnt pay a premium on HK or SIGS anyways... They are nothing special anyways... Rather get this ;)

FN Tactical .45
    [​IMG]

#27 MSims, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. spartanranger

spartanranger
    Expand Collapse

I only use oil and the same thing happened.

9. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK
    Expand Collapse

This is what I came here to say.

#9 took the finish right off my internal components.

10. intenseneal

intenseneal
    Expand Collapse

No .40SW G23.

11. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

That would be the reason why your ejector would be straight but if the OP's gun posted is a 26,19,17 then the bend in the ejector as pictured is correct,it's supposed to have a bend in it.
    SJ 40

12. ca survivor

ca survivor
    Expand Collapse

go and shoot that gun....

13. tacticalG23

tacticalG23
    Expand Collapse
    Darkside Member

just to illustrate.
    [​IMG]

My '97 G23 had the rails flake off at less than 1k rounds. Cruciform still looks fine though. Hardly ever clean it or oil it, no rust to be seen. Just ignore it and carry on, it's not a show piece.

14. spartanranger

spartanranger
    Expand Collapse

Why cant it be both? I like to shoot the hell out of them and then show them off. : )
    [​IMG]

My '97 G23 had the rails flake off at less than 1k rounds. Cruciform still looks fine though. Hardly ever clean it or oil it, no rust to be seen. Just ignore it and carry on, it's not a show piece.[/QUOTE]