close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Nothing to hide = nothing to fear.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tslex, Aug 9, 2012.

1. tslex

tslex

A high NYPD official on CNN this morning, asked if there are privacy concerns with their new integrated surveillance system: "My mindset on these (privacy) issues is, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about, simple as that."

Well, if YOU don't understand what's wrong with that statement, you do not love this country, and you are not honoring your oath, simple as that.

From what I understand of the system, it's a great tool that combines surveillance capabilities with integrated databases and analytics. It's to give real time information -- warrants, prior calls, etc -- to officers on the scene; it's able to spot or make it easier to spot license plates with wants or warrants on them; it may be using recognition and predictive algorithms to highlight problems and find bad guys.

But the RIGHT response to a question about privacy concerns is something like: "We share those concerns -- we're citizens, too, and we value and want to protect those liberties. We want to do our job well, but within the bounds set out by our Constitution and values. The key to safeguarding privacy when employing enhanced surveillance tech is to ensure the folks using it value and understand those privacy concerns and use their discretion accordingly. There has to be oversight and accountability, because privacy rights are important. We are training the users in those important issues and we are committed to preserving liberty while securing safety"

The short version is "We share those privacy concerns and are trained in and committed to deploying this technology in a way that preserves those liberties."

But, "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" is not an acceptable answer. It's as simple as that.

Everyone here loves this country and agrees with this completely, right? Everyone here has the same problem with the official's answer, right? Right?

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

So he wouldn't have any problem having a live video and audio feed pointed at him 24/7 then. After all, he IS a public official and all.

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

...Until the definitions of "doing anything wrong" slowly change.

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

You'll find many here will agree with the NYPD official. They should be along shortly.

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

A lot of this is the seduction of technology to convince a willing public that something is being done. Overemphasis on dealing with law-abiding citizens in the form of plate readers, stop-and-frisk, roadblocks, etc. is failure and runs counter to surveillance 101. It's very possible that more law-abiding interaction by law enforcement will contribute to increasing crime in the next decade.

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Soon what you think is perfectly fine and legal will land your ass in jail... and you agreed to the system put in place that "caught" you.

7. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

I wonder if this NYPD official feels the same way about people video-taping his officers during traffic stops and arrests?

After all, if they have nothing to hide, they have nothing to fear - right?

8. tslex

tslex

CF, I don't think that's true (or, at least, I don't want to.) I get that there are differences -- maybe broad difference -- about degree, and whether a specific practice is over the line, etc.

But the fundamental concept -- that the standard is "nothing to fear = nothing to hide" -- it's got to be offensive to everyone raised under the blanket of freedom, no?

9. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

"If you have nothing to suspect, then you have nothing to worry about."

Am I being detained?:rollingeyes::laughing:

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

"Your papers please?"

This sort of thing is precisely why we, we as in everyone, must hold police to a very high standard. This guy falls well short of the mark.

11. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Almost certainly not would be my guess.

12. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I just really dont get this. :freak:

I have never been asked:

Ihre Papiere, bitte!

I try really hard to be a PITA, but I never get asked.

But I did see in one night, 1000 police officers across Germany asked for papers.

http://www.welt.de/print-welt/article504646/Ihre-Papiere-bitte-Polizei-kontrollierte-Autofahrer.html

I even crossed the border twice (into and out of CH) and they didn't even have the courtesy to put a customs officer in the booth. On Sunday when I went to CH, the customs guy looked to preoccupied to even both checking anything and on the way back, German customs were gone for the day.

So when do I get asked?

13. Neero

Neero Sleep-deprived

And this is exactly why I will always hold on to my default distrust of any authority. Those authorities with guns at the topmost of.

14. simotek

simotek

Took me a few years to convince my fiancée that her "if I am not doing anything wrong, I have nothing to fear" thought process was wrong.

15. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

East German State Police agrees. :)

[​IMG]

16. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

The police weren't the problem.

Stasi were. The common name for: Ministerium für StaatssicherheitStatts. (see.. Sta

The Stasi even made sure and keep track of the police.

17. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

What about a feller that eats his boogers, or ye olde scratch n' sniff? Not wrong in a legal sense, but you wouldn't want that on Youtube either.

18. arclight610

arclight610

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNd8iNx1gGk"]Pick Up That Can - YouTube[/ame]

19. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

NYC = Wretched hive of scum and villainy.

20. Dexters

Dexters

Let's not forget all the drones that will be flying in the USA soon.

The USSR and the East German Stasi will pale in comparison to what the USA could (will) become in terms of surveillance.

When your opposition gets you to change they are winning. It sound like a cliche but the terrorists have won.

They:
    - gave the final push to the USA off the financial cliff
    - embroiled the USA in a draining war that will make it shy to enter another one
    - TSA humiliates travelers
    - Added layers of government security/cost to watch the USA public
    - destabilized the Middle East so the Muslim Brotherhood could take over and eventually unite it.
    The USA is being played like a violin.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012