close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Not the norm Duty Handguns

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Leightonpd2, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Leightonpd2

Leightonpd2
    Expand Collapse

We have had "what type of duty handgun do you carry" threads. As you know, most replies are a Glock, M&P, or Sig type handgun.

Who out there carries something different than most? Either by choice or issue. New Officer here carries a Colt Double Eagle .45 ACP. Otherwise, it is Glocks in various calibers, 1 Beretta, 1 Sig P-220 .45ACP and a M&P .40.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah
    Expand Collapse
    Cover is Code 3

I have, over the past years, carried a Ruger P89 and P90, and Taurus PT92, in addition to the normal Smith 6906, Glocks and Sig.

I actually really liked the Taurus, I credit it with getting me interested in shooting again, since I could shoot it so well it motivated me to train more and become even more proficient. Prior to that, I carried .40 cal Glocks which I was, honestly, awful with.

The Taurus went by the wayside when the locking block broke on a range course. Taurus did replace it for free, and quickly, but I lost faith and sold the gun. I replaced it with a G17, later a G19, and haven't looked back. I acknowledge the Taurus is a sub-quality gun, but it was always a good piece for me up until the block broke at around 5,000 rounds.

I wouldn't carry another off-brand gun again, plus I am really happy with the 9mm Glock platform.

3. UrbanOps

UrbanOps
    Expand Collapse

I'd be carrying my FNX if Safariland made an ALS holster for it. I'm carrying the typical 226R + TLR combo.

The majority of our guys carry Glocks. There is, however, an XD and a Sig 229 thrown in there.

4. GD2J

GD2J
    Expand Collapse
    GoDirectly2Jail

The Goochland County Sheriff's Office here in central Virginia all carry issued HK45's.

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

Top shooter in my academy class carried a PT92, nickel plated. He won top shooter by chopping the tritirum hand off of his watch and gluing it on the front sight for night shoot. Now THAT is salty.

6. madecov

madecov
    Expand Collapse
    book em' Danno

I have qualified with my
    Steyr M40A1
    Walther P99
    Walther PPS

I have carried them all as Duty weapons. Currently using a Gen 4 Glock 23

7. A6Gator

A6Gator
    Expand Collapse

:rofl::rofl: Hardcore!

8. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

Not an off brand...but a rare gun. A neighboring sheriff's dept purchased Sig Sauer P226ST in .357 SIG. That is an all stainless frame and slide 226 in .357 Sig. It is NOT a catalog item typically offered. The sheriff is a working sheriff, and a gun nut. When he was elected the dept was him and about 3 deputies. He called Sig and ordered the guns from them directly. They gave him no grief over the order.

As crime began escalating in their county the commission approve hiring of another 6-8 deputies. he called to order more guns and SIG refused to make any more of his original purchase. He took it to the VP of LE Sales and eventually got a call from the head gunsmith in the SIG custom shop taking his order for the new guns. The guns are super heavy for a duty gun, but tame recoil well and are dead nuts accurate.

9. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

He IS the most interesting cop in the world....LOL

That takes serious stones and will be a story told at the academy for years. LOL:cool:

10. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121
    Expand Collapse
    BOOSH

I saw a copper on DPD some years ago with a 3" S&W .357 with an unfluted cylander (blued gun) and custom cut target grips. That always cracked me up.

When I worked on the government contract as a guard, they gave me a 4" 681 (fixed sight 686). That was apparently rare, because the Smith gurus I have talked to have gone as far as denying they even made such a weapon.

11. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman
    Expand Collapse
    a.k.a. DaReaper

The "681" is by no means rare. It just wasn't made in the same numbers as the "686". Most people prefer the adjustable sights over fixed on the L frames.

12. ateamer

ateamer
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

For a while in the early 90s, we were issued phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.

13. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121
    Expand Collapse
    BOOSH

That's what I thought, as the red patch company I worked for was uber-cheap, and would've spent as little as possible on guns, but like I said, some schmuck I worked with who claimed to be a S&W master swore up and down that there was no such animal. :dunno:

14. lndshark

lndshark
    Expand Collapse

Same here. Bought my PT92 around 1988. Locking block broke with a live round in the chamber @ around the 5,000 round mark. Taurus said to send it back anyway and paid shipping both ways. I never trusted it after that. Sold it and bought a S&W 5904 (wish I still had that gun...it had an early "AIP" serial number). Now carrying a department-issued XD40 Service. Not a really common sidearm in LE, let alone an issued pistol. I like it though, but I'd rather carry my personal G21SF.

15. Pepper45

Pepper45
    Expand Collapse

I carried a Browning Hi-Power for a couple years, liked it a bunch. Carried it until I started getting pressured to carry a .45

16. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

We used to carry the gun in my avatar, but the public complained. Too powerful!

17. CAcop

CAcop
    Expand Collapse

Does a Colt 1991A1 count? Thats what I currently have.

I have carried a 4506 and P220R which are kind of rare around here but can be found within the state elsewhere.

18. Chowser

Chowser
    Expand Collapse

haha. reminds me of my academy class. i was top shooter with a nickel plated taurus pt99.

beat the marine with the HK. he says the light reflected off my nickel plated sissy gun causing him to miss a shot.

:rofl:

our area is mostly sig or glock. neighboring pd carries full size HK USPs in .45.

19. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

I carried my (Yost) BHP on duty for a while. Love that gun.

20. lndshark

lndshark
    Expand Collapse

Didn't Palm Springs issue 645s or 4506s at one time? I can remember .45s and SIGs being pretty rare in the South Bay but Riverside County authorized P220s and Inland Empire departments allowing several types of .45-chambered pistols (El Monte, Asuza, etc.).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine