Glock Talk banner

Not tactical but somewhat practical

11K views 56 replies 27 participants last post by  G26man 
#1 · (Edited)
I posted a few months ago about single shot firearms. That thread went over like a nun with syphilis. Even so, I think there are some practical survival advantages for single shots particularly shotguns.

First they are cheap. I bought a 12 ga H&R Topper at a garage sale for $17. Yeah, it was missing the butt stock but what the heck. I've often seen them in pawn shops and in classified adds for $100 or less.

Second they are universal. The dang things have been made since before the turn of the 20th century let alone the 21st. Our ancestors managed to survive for centuries with single shot weapons.

Third, they are simple to use. Load, point, shoot, repeat. No foo-foo, they just work.

Fourth, they are relatively light weight, slim in profile and easy to carry. No knobs, or stuff sticking out all over the place.

Fifth, they are easy to modify into something short and handy. Because they are single shots the receivers are fairly short. Cut the barrel down and have a pretty compact firearm.

Here is my garage sale special...it had a 28" bbl.

I am an advocate of "re-purposing" firearms particularly those that that no one loves anymore. They are not tactical, or fancy. They usually have long barrels which no one really wants. I try to pick them up, make them into something that is compact and handy and might be used again. In other words, I find them a purpose in life again.

I bought a stock and actually found a 357 mag barrel (cheap as in $30 total for both the barrel and stock)..It is kind of fun to shoot with the 357 mag barrel. I used to reload so I dragged out my dies and started making 38s and 357s to play with.

Next I cut the 12 ga barrel to 18" and added a sling.

Finally, to turn it into my truck gun, I added a butt stock pouch. As you can see it has a five shot shell holder (which is detachable velcro). It also has a zippered pocket that holds 10 shells. And BTW, the stock screw hole in the butt stock under the butt pad holds 3 additional shells. And yeah, it kicks like a mule but it is actually kind of fun to shoot in masochistic kind of way. It now resides in my truck and is my woods walker when I am at my hunting property.

Point is, stay away from nuns with VD but single shots are fun to play with.

See less See more
#52 ·
Do I need to take a photo of it/them next to a tape measure to prove it or will you finally take my word for it? :supergrin:
I didn't re-read all the posts, I just looked at the photo and thought, "Oh crap this isn't going to end well for him". I was thinking you were suffering from a moment of stupidity, but I guess it was ME.:embarassed:

#57 ·
I've got a 20ga/22lr matched pair. It has a youth stock and the 20ga recoils as much as some 12ga guns I've shot. With the 22 barrel the whole gun is Chipmunk sized. Talk about handy!! Another thing I like is it will shoot anything in a 22 diameter case, unlike a lot of 22 rifles.

I also had a H&R Survivor in .223. Those things come with bull barrels and can be quite accurate, however the twist is 1/12 so 55gr or lighter bullets only. Kind of a poor man's TC.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.