close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Not GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Chris North, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Chris North

Chris North

I shot IDPA for the first time today. Wow, what a different animal it is compared to GSSF. Not in a bad way, just really different.

Anyone else shoot the other kinds of matches?

I want to shoot the Griffin Steel Match and will add indoor GSSF and IDPA soon.

Team Random Draw

2. 1-504 PIR

1-504 PIR

I like to shoot USPSA - Production Division. I suggest you give USPSA a try.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

USPSA Single Stack, Revolver, Open

Steel Challenge 9mm 1911, rimfire Limited, Rimfire Open, Rimfire Open Revolver, Rimfire Revolver

NRA Action Pistol 952 S&W or a 9mm 1911

I gave up on IDPA, too many penalities. My USPSA skills really hurt my IDPA shooting.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Tagged. I shot GSSF "outdoor" and indoor and I'm gearing up to try IDPA. Looking forward to something different.

5. mike g35

mike g35

Thats cool, I was at my first USPSA match today. I wasn't officially in the match because I haven't went through my new gun clubs safety orientation or officially joined the USPSA and sadly this was the last match of the year. Reloading, moving, and one handed shooting while competing throws in some new skills to be learned and I absolutely loved it. I think the combination of GSSF, USPSA, and maybe the odd steel match thrown in for good measure is what I will be doing next year but I believe GSSF will still be my choice. Why??? Because my father shoots GSSF with me and he doesn't seem to enthused about the others yet. I've never really considered IDPA because of how far away the matches are from me, how did you like it? Are there a ton of rules like in the USPSA (108 pages)?

6. Chris North

Chris North

I did like it.

There are a ton of rules. But I tend to ask a lot of questions.

I know nothing about USPSA ... But I am looking at lots of stuff. I don't know if there is any around me, I would bet there is.

I liked moving, reloading - need to work on that. I tried with bullets facing front and messed it up, tried bullets facing back and messed it up again. 8-/

I didn't love shooting from cover but that was not as bad as weak hand.

All in all I think I did ok. I don't have my score sheet so I will know more in a few days.

Jarred Grimes was in my squad today, that was cool. Current Top Shot (out in the early episodes)

They had just had a new SO class and we had almost as many SOs as shooters.

There are three GSSF matches in the Atlanta area, and I will likely hit the Columbia SC match as well, so IDPA could fill in some of the rest of the year.

Now to break it to the wife how much shooting I want to do. :cool:

Team Random Draw

7. SMLR

SMLR

I regularly shoot GSSF, IDPA and USPSA and use the same G17 for all three. In fact, I shot both a major USPSA match (NC Sectional Match) and a GSSF indoor match today. I have found that IDPA has improved my situational awareness, USPSA has helped make me a faster shooter, and GSSF has made me a more accurate shooter.

8. Tbone17

Tbone17 "Shootin Steel"

Chris,
    We shoot the Griffin Steel Match every first Saturday of the month. Next being Nov. 5th. It's alot of fun and good practice. We have 3 times you can shoot, Friday @ 2.00 pm, Saturday @ 9:00 am and 1:00 pm. You will need to go to www.griffinsteelmatch and email Glen and register for the time you want to shoot. It's really busy on Saturday mornings and the squads are usually full. You can email a week in advance.

We also shoot USPSA on the 3rd and 4th Wednesday evenings at 6:30. Just come out and sign up and shoot. You do not have to be a club member to shoot either of these matches.

And the GSSF match on Feb. 25th and 26th coming up soon.

Hope to see you there.

9. mike g35

mike g35

THATS IT!!! I am moving to Georgia, it seems I am always hearing of good matches there.

10. rabump199

rabump199

I shoot GSSF and IDPA. The GSSF got me interested in competitive shooting. I am going to try USPSA in the spring. My club doesn't have a safety class scheduled for USPSA in the near future and my IDPA safety class they won't use. I shoot IDPA every Monday night at another club. I found that the GSSF is great to improve your accuracy because misses kill you in IDPA with penalties. Very grateful to the GSSF and people here who have given me guidance for my new addiction. Also big props to the Pathfinder Fish & Game Club in Fulton, NY this year for being so helpful in my first GSSF event. They were great guys and gals. :supergrin:

11. Chris North

Chris North

100% will be at GSSF in Feb. Will also RO for a day and a half.

But I need to get the wife on board for more than the usual weekend shooting 8-P

Team Random Draw

12. Noponer

Noponer

Good comparison, SMLR.

I have never shot IDPA, but have shot USPSA almost every month since late 1993. I have to keep my "shoot faster" USPSA mentality under control when shooting GSSF or I add even more seconds than usual! :supergrin:

USPSA is more demanding than IDPA, I believe. GSSF thinks so, too, apparently... a USPSA Master shooter is automatically a Master in GSSF, but not so with an IDPA Master.

My first competition was GSSF in 1992; that got me hooked. I have been shooting USPSA and GSSF since then.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  13. SMLR

SMLR

I agree USPSA definitely requires a higher degree of skill than IDPA to achieve “Master” classification. I have generally found the classifications translate as follows:

IDPA Marksman = D Class USPSA

IDPA Sharpshooter = C Class USPSA

IDPA Expert = B Class USPSA

IDPA Master = A Class USPSA (or higher)

I also love shooting GSSF, and particularly like the fact that each match provides a personal benchmark that I can use to see how I am progressing (or not) as a shooter.

14. Tagcon

Tagcon

I shoot IDPA twice a month and love it! so tell me how do I get in to this GSSF thing?

15. mike g35

mike g35

You have to shoot a Glock to compete in GSSF (obviously). You can join on the GSSF website where you will find all the information that you need. :supergrin:

16. SARDG

SARDG

And that would be where, Mike??

http://www.gssfonline.com

The Glock Report on that site has all the rules.

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

you're closer to more shooting there than any place i've been.