close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Nostalgia build

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bluejackets92fs, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bluejackets92fs

bluejackets92fs I have bad aim

Oct 23, 2010
    SW Ohio
    So when it comes to guns, I have a real soft spot for old school stuff. I want a 1911 and I'm ordering my Colt XSE Combat Elite soon. That will get my fix. I still have a void to fill. Here is my question. I really want to build an A1 WW2 replica with a modern twist. After some discussion, I want to have an adjustable trigger that isn't skelotonized, and I want GI style sights. Someone suggested 10-8 Performance rear sights that look like GI sights with a brass front sight so I'm not limited to my shooting capabilities ie. if I ever want to do some serious target shooting with it. Blade sights are very limiting to me.

I don't want to do this on a platform like Rock Island. I want as close to military issue as possible and that includes manufacturer. I think I want to use either a Colt or Springfield Armory, maybe even Remington but their R1 isn't going to work right. The gun also has to be series 70. If Springfield it would have to be a USA made model. I don't want " Made in Brazil" on the frame of this gun. So If anyone has any suggestions or has done something similar I want some ideas and suggestions. Speak freely here, I'm all ears because this was a "sitting at the bar", out of the blue idea.

My ultimate goal with the build is to have it blued a really nice polished hot blue. If I go Depending on my base line, I may have to have it bead blasted down to bare metal to allow for my style of finish wants. I haven't set a price on this build. I'd hope to keep it around $1000. If I go Colt I may be over on this, Springfield would be doable at that price point. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestion.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    You need to find you an older Springfield Mil-Spec.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    find an older usgi gun and call it done- or a new series 70 and call it done. all springfields are made at least in part in Brazil

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Hey,......that Mil-spec looks familiar!
    How's she shootin James?

I agree with James,......Springfield for a build on that budget.
    However, a polish & hot blue job is $400+......a good bit of your budget.

5. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Hey Greg. She still shoots beautifully. I love this pistol.

6. bluejackets92fs

Oct 23, 2010
    SW Ohio
    So after browsing armslist this morning I found a Colt Series 70 Government Model blued for $650. Needless to say, it's sleeping in my safe now. Not sure I can do anything to such a nice looking gun though. No harm in two 1911s, right?

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Get a Colt series 70. Colt builds the best guns for a base, in my opinion.

8. bluejackets92fs

Oct 23, 2010
    SW Ohio
    Way ahead of you there. Picked one up last night.