close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Northern Maine vs. Southern Maine

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RWBlue, Jun 17, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Any possibility of Northern Maine breaking apart from Southern Maine?

2. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Is there an active fault line conveniently located in the middle?

3. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

One of the precious few things I miss from my time living in the greater Boston area was zooming up 95 to Kittery and Freeport to visit the big outdoor stores... the southern beaches were very nice, too, and I always felt at home in Maine.

That said, the reason North and South Maine will remain united is the same reason that North, Central, and Southern California will remain united, as will Quebec with the rest of Canada, and that reason is money. Should any one particular region split from another, one element is going to have to pay the other a great deal in reimbursement for all of the infrastructure and municipalization that has occurred, along with protection in the form of sovereignty and military presence, mail service, electrical grids, education, etc. The balance will always be anything other than 50-50, where one area will be dependent on the other for tax revenue, and those amounts will total in the billions, if not trillions of dollars.

It drives me nuts to know that just by working in Columbus, Ohio (I live two county lines away), I get taxed for the privilege of working there, and I am thus subsidizing the Afri-centric schools as a result. But, so it goes... E Pluribus Unum.

4. RWBlue

No

We can not be that lucky.

5. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

You can't get theya from heeya.

6. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

I vacationed in Maine, and got a bumper sticker for my car. It said "Maine Bumpah Stickah".

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

????????? Must be locals thread. Moving on...

8. Hartford

Hartford

It's an idea that has been tossed around for as long as I can remember. Seems to me it has even been talked about at the state government level. Southern Maine might as well be northern massachusetts. The northern part is more conservative, but the difference is shrinking all the time imho. Whether or not either part of the state could support itself without the other is a question I have.

Now that the paper industry has mostly died what would the new northern state rely on for the economy? Still have logging but alot of that wood is sent to Canada. I know potatoes and brocoli farming are big in far northern Maine, but I don't see that making up for losing the businesses in the southern part of the state.

I live below the Forks where the Carrabasset and Kennebec rivers meet. This area has always had a big tourism industry, but I've notice that has taken a huge hit in the last few years. My town has always been a pass through point, but still used to have three gas stations. down to one now. Bingham just up the road used to be a destination. Now about half the town has closed. Tourism might start picking up though if the flatlanders decide to vacation closer to home.

Doubt it will ever happen due to money, but I would still like to see it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  9. Hartford

Hartford

Where would the dividing line be between north and south?

I'm looking at the back of my gazetteer and thinking route 2 to Bangor and then 1a down to the coast. It seems like the simplest dividing line to me, and could be tweaked a little either way in certain areas. It's tough for me to decide if the Bangor area would be northern or southern. Once you get east of Bangor my experience with that part of the state drops off. That's why I went with 1a, it jumped out at me.

I know some people that would only consider The County, and maybe nothern Penobscott, Piscataquis, Somerset counties as part of northern Maine. I think That would exclude some areas that align more closely with the northern parts of Maine though. The further west you get in the state the further south you can be and still be in what feels like northern Maine to me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  10. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

The dividing line could be that new East-West highway they are proposing...

11. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I did not realize that this was much of a concern.

Seems as important as speculation about whether Southwest Dakota will split from Southeast Dakota.

12. Jeffe

Jeffe

I live in eastern Maine, right on the canadian border and an hour and half from Bangor. I know this will never happen because there just isn't enough of an economy to support it. The idea will never go away because everything north and east of Bangor is ignored. Mill shuts down? Tough. Mill shuts down in Old Town? State must buy it and run it! It loses money but it needs jobs! Racino in Washington county? No. Lets build 3 from Bangor south.

13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Oh God, Please, not another place in the country that we will have a war and have to hear that the south will rise again...

:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

:tongueout::rofl:

14. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

No. Most manufacturing is down here and the North Has a lot of people on state assistance, maybe even more. The north cannot survive without the south, as much as northeners will beat their chests otherwise

(North and south maine, still a union guy in civil war realted matters:cool:)

15. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Which part gets Stephen King?

16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I live on "The Airline"...and while that's south of the proposed east-west highway, don't think it can be called "Southern Maine" here.
    However, winter is about 6 weeks shorter here than up in The County where I grew up!!:supergrin:

Lots of talk for a long time about cutting Maine in half. I'd call the line right along the Kennebec River, or maybe even The Penobscot!

17. fusegsp

fusegsp

I thought this thread was about Maine. Where's the Bob Marley youtube vid?

18. Hartford

Hartford

I agree that there are a lot of people on welfare in this state. I think we have gone past the tipping point here where the takers outnumber the producers.

Back when the paper industry was still strong the northern part of the state may have been able to make it. Now the paper industry is almost no more so the idea is pretty much done imho.

19. RWBlue

I find this interesting because we all use lots of paper and other wood products. What happened? Where did it move to?

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Hey. That's not fair! Southern Maine is much better than Massachusetts. Lol

The part you can't find on the map.