close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

North Carolina is a great place to live!

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by chuckman, Dec 31, 2008.

1. chuckman

chuckman

The title says it all. If anyone wants to discuss why, give me a shout. I respect all-comers and all opinions. Tell me why YOU like (or don't like) NC!

2. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

I can't stand NC. The taxes are high, the gas is high, it just sucks. I was a Marine here at Cherry Point and I just got out. Now I have a job here at Cherry Point. I like my job but the area sucks. I hate the summers because of all of the mosquitoes. I hate the fall and winter because of all of the pine needles that fall in my gutters and on my roof. I almost forgot. I hate those *******ED FIRE ANTS! I get a new hill of ants every day somewhere in my yard. You can't even walk outside hardly without shoes for fear of getting eaten alive.

I'm originally from WV and I like hills, woods, and things like that. It's impossible to find any land here for a decent price.

I'm sure I would enjoy western NC a little more but where I'm at has left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Why do you enjoy NC?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008

3. chuckman

chuckman

Now THAT'S what I am lookin' for! I am from that area originally, born in Morehead, raised in Jacksonville, been back to Lejeune many times as a reservist. I am not a big fan of the Havelock area.

I live in the central part of the state. Two great hospitals, three great universities, night life, 2 1/2 hours from the coast, three hours from the mountains, great sports, great climate. You are right...land is getting more expensive by the day. Some folks don't like it here, and that's OK...I just want to know why people either like it or don't like it.

West Va is nice...the wife's best friend is in Morgantown. I am not a "mountain person," preferring the coast, but I really like it up there.

4. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

What I don't like of NC is the pervasive racism, weather's ok, but it does have awesome gun laws.

5. utah

utah

Don't you need a permit or "card" to buy a handgun? Aren't machine guns illegal?

6. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

You have to obtain a purchase permit for $5 to buy a handgun, or use your CHP. This is for a background check.

Machine guns are legal as long as you have the proper paperwork and have the Class 3 stamp.

7. chuckman

chuckman

Yeah, there is that. Not nearly as bad in central NC as some other parts.

8. Calculated

Calculated

I live 25 miles west of Asheville and it is GREAT! Except for the taxes NC is the best place that I have ever lived.

9. bennwj

bennwj CSM (almost retired) Silver Member

I love NC. I have 16 years at Bragg and although Fayetteville is NOT one of my favorite places in the state, it is better than ANYPLACE in my former state of residence (New York). I hope to get back there as soon as the Sergeants Major Academy is finished.

My Father-in-law owns quite a bit of land in Bladen County and we spend a lot of time there. I will hopefully retire in Easter NC someday.

I never saw any of the racism that other posters are talking about unless they were referring to "reverse" racism. Saw LOTS of that off post, and even in Bladen County. Besides racism is dead....Obama was elected...remember?

I HATE the beach though.

10. not_possible

not_possible

Sc>Nc :tongueout:

Even though I go to Charlotte more than Columbia when I'm pretty much directly between both...I just don't like Columbia for some reason and I don't know why.

11. chuckman

chuckman

I see we have a friend from the "other" Carolina piping in! :) I like the low country, but otherwise use SC as a throughway to other places. Is SC even a 'real' Carolina? Do they have barbecue down there? :tongueout:

12. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oh, racism here is crazy. You'll see people looking at other skin tones with disdain. Sometimes you need to look how others look at someone AFTER they've passed by, even yourself. Look back every once in a while, they'll be staring and talking about you. You can mostly see it in older people, and they have passed it on to younger generations. Ignorance is a curse that may be passed down generation to generation. TO ME, racists are people with identity and self esteem problems. One of my major pet peeves is prejudice of any kind.

13. not_possible

not_possible

We have a Sonny's haha, but I'm not a big fan of BBQ. We don't have to have our cars inspected here though like you guys...there's another to add to the list of cons for NC. I actually like NC more, but living in SC is better and I'm about an hour from Charlotte so it works out.

14. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

I see more "black on white" open racism than anything. Whites seem to hide theirs better.

I've been here 20 years. Don't go to the beach at all, but LOVE the mountains.

15. carolinajohn63

carolinajohn63 Griff

I love this thread. I won't comment, because the last time I expressed by views on NC I was assaulted about my opinion.

Anyway, the gun laws here are not that great. Cannot carry into any place that charges an admission, no carry at a funeral or a parade (WTF???), Cannot carry in any of the state parks....

16. chuckman

chuckman

You weren't assaulted. Your views are welcome here. If there are things that can be refuted or argued, then I will. If I agree, I will. I respect everyone's views. You are welcome to stay.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  17. chuckman

chuckman

I hear it is more affordable down there. Yeah, our DMV can be a bit, ahem, "opressive." Tell me other reasons you like SC so much?

18. LAURAPDG26

LAURAPDG26

You don't have to have your cars inspected for the DMV? Ever? :wow:
    How does SC DMV make sure that the cars on the road truly are "road worthy"?

19. LAURAPDG26

LAURAPDG26

Oh and I love NC. Moved here 4 years ago and wish we had done it sooner. Before this, I lived on LI, only a few miles from the beach and a short train ride to NYC so I miss that stuff a bit. Oh and I miss things like Dunkin Donuts and italian bakeries. Krispy Kreme is just not the same :crying:.

Otherwise I think it's great here and wouldn't go back for anything. I love being close to the mountains, I love the fact that we have tons of awesome mountain biking and the beautiful scenery most every where I go.

The only thing I don't like is that with the influx of Northerners (of which I am one) all things seem to be getting too congested and it feels like I am back to what I tried to get away from. :crying:

As far as the gun laws, yes they are restrictive. However, when I lived in NY, I never even considered getting a firearm. Now, I am totally comfortable and confident with one, because it isn't a big deal here, so that's got to be a good thing.

Someone complained about the taxes here, but I wasn't sure what taxes you meant. I think the housing taxes are not bad at all. If I was back where I left, home taxes are on average 8-12k, here they average about 1,200 for the SAME SIZE HOUSE.

Oh and I prefer the accents here a lot more than where I am from. :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  20. not_possible

not_possible

Yea certain things are cheaper gas being one...plus we had a tax free firearm purchase day, black friday I think it was. I haven't really read up on all the NC gun laws since I haven't travelled with them yet, but seems like we have it a little better, but compared to other states I wouldn't say NC has it bad. I actually like NC well not the coast, but Asheville and Lake Lure areas are nice. I lived in western NC for a couple years back when I was a freshman/sophmore in HS. Other than the little differences in gun laws and gas and such being a little cheaper, I got no real complaints about NC.