close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Normal spent brass markings?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Globetruck, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Globetruck

Globetruck

Went to the range today, and noticed that the spent brass was slightly flattened and scratched. Is this normal? I'm shooting a new G23 gen 4 that has about 700 rounds through it. Only other malfunction was a failure to feed the last round out of a stock 13 round mag. Today I shoot Speer 180 grain FMJ.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345512013.210768.jpg

2. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I've had brass with similar ejection scars out of pistols that have been 100% reliable

3. dkf

dkf

The brass usually gets a mark on it when it scrapes against the feed ramp during chambering, However it looks excessive in the pics. If the brass is also flattened a little at the case mouth I will bet the brass is hitting the inside of the gun when ejected. Your ejection is probably a little erratic as well.

Both of .357sig Glocks were hard on the brass and flattened case mouths for roughly the first 50 rounds then did not do it again since.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  4. SJ 40

SJ 40

To me a classic sign that it's getting clipped by the slide during ejection of the casing.
    Normally I'd suggest different ammunition but in this case Speer lawman 180 gr.is one of the better rounds in 40,unless you are using Speer Blazer 180 gr. SJ 40

5. Globetruck

Globetruck

So what would cause this? Recoil spring still stiff and not broken in? Weak loads? Limp wristing?

No FTEs yet, but like I said, I just happened to notice it today. No brass to face either - it was all in a fairly consistent line between 3:30 to 5 o'clock and about 4 feet out.

6. dkf

dkf

Extractor most likely.

7. kda

kda NRA Life Member

Could you have someone watch while you shoot, especially watch the ejection process to see if they can detect anything that is not normal?

8. kaech

kaech

Every glock does that to some extent,well everyone ive owned over the last 8yrs. .

Normal

9. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

I can't remember if it's my 22 or 27 that does that. I think it's the 27. I've had no problems, including after I reload that brass and shoot it again. My brass will sometimes come out with a small dent as well. My RIA 1911 also does that.