close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Norma Brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by F106 Fan, Sep 25, 2012.

1. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I will soon have a 2d .308 bolt action rifle. I have been using Lapua brass with me existing Steyr SSG and neck sizing only.

With the second rifle, and again, neck sizing only, I was thinking about using some other brand of brass to make case separation a little easier.

I see I can get Norma brass and, perhaps, Nosler brass but I was wondering if the brass was considered the equal of Lapua.

Any thoughts? If there are other brands I should consider in the context of precision reloading, I'm open to suggestions.

If there is no equal then I'll just have to keep the brass separated by batch. It's not a big problem but it will take two batches in the tumbler instead of one.

Richard

2. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    You will be hard pressed to find brass equal to or better than Lapua. However , load what you have in your favorite flavor and see how the gun shoots. If it is accurate enough and consistent enough for your application , you are good to go . I just use a sharpie marker and mark the headstamp. Makes seperating the brass a bit easier before tossing them in the cleaner. I get excellent results out of plain jane Win and Rem brass. But I am not presently shooting in excess of 500yds . After that the little stuff starts to matter !

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012

3. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    For what it's worth. I've come across this topic several times and the consensus I see over at the Sniperhide and 6mmBR is that Norma brass is considered to be real close if not equal to Lapua.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I should have searched over at Sniperhide...

I think I'm going to try to keep the brass separate until I have a load that works for the new rifle. Then I'll consider moving one rifle or the other over to Norma.

If it works out, great! If not, coloring the base with a Sharpie isn't out of the question.

Richard

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    I have several hundred pcs of once fired Norma 308 brass and a couple hundred pcs of 6XC. I found it was slightly softer than the Lapua.

Stick with Lapua or cut bait and shoot Winchester brass inside 600 yards.

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I have no problem with continuing with Lapua brass. I just bought some more 6.5x284 and .308. I'll probably get another hundred .308 in the near future.

I'll just mark the base.

I bought the rifle but now I have to come up with a scope. Nothing in my inventory is nearly adequate for the new rifle.

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 NXS is on the shortlist.

Richard

7. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    TOugh to beat Lapua. I have used just about all brands in some caliber or another. IMO, Lapua is #1, RWS a very close #2, then Norma. I also like Nosler Custom & Hornady, all in rifle.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012