close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Noob question about an AR sling

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dbarhsi, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

Just got my first AR in Dec and I'm looking for a decent sling. Any recommendations for a plane jane 16" M4gery (Palmetto State)? I don't really need anything all sooper dooper tactical. Just something for comfortably carrying it around. Thanks in advance!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. JBaird22

JBaird22
    Expand Collapse

Tactical Assault Gear has a decent 2 point that I received for free. It doesn't have any buckles in the middle to split it apart like a lot of the better 2 points do but it does have quick adjust features and the nylon is supple.

There is a fella here that makes slings but for the life of me I can't remember the name of his company and I don't have any experience with their slings. I'd check him out if someone can remember the name of the company.

1 points look cool, but 2 points are better for carrying the gun in most situations.

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

VTAC or Vickers 2-point slings. They're more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

4. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

And these slings recommended will work with "standard attachment points"? By "standard", I mean the ring under the front sight and ring/slot at the back of the collapsible stock. I don't have any high speed rails or anything on the rifle. Just the round hand guards for now.

5. OdinIII

OdinIII
    Expand Collapse

I really like the padded Vickers VCAS sling.

6. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

Does it require anything special on the rifle or will it attach to "normal" mounting points? Please refer to my post immediately above yours.

7. OdinIII

OdinIII
    Expand Collapse

The rear works fine using the slot in the stock. Both of my rifles have the front mounted to a Colt style barrel mounted side swivel. Paracord or a Vickers UWL would also work.

If you want to carry the rifle in the ready position then I think you really should see if you can find a rifle with a good two point sling that you can test. These work much better than the single point that I used to use while also being much more useful than the bottom mounted standard carry sling.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

A 2-Point Quick Adjust Sling is what you want.

9. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

What do you like and use?

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Both the VTAC (Viking Tactics) and VCAS (Vickers Tactical) slings are 2-point, quick-adjust slings. Assuming you have sling loops on the front (usually under the gas block) and rear (usually a slot in the stock or a protruding loop), you will be able to attach it. Depending on your exact stock and rifle, there may be different ways to do so. Assuming you are a right-handed shooter, you want the sling running along the left side of the rifle. When slung across your chest, the mag well should face down and right (towards your right hip, roughly), and the ejection port should face away from you.

Most stocks will support mounting the sling in this manner. You may need to purchase an adapter for the front end of your rifle, though, to accomplish this. If you could post a photo of your AR, it would make it a little easier to advise you on actual mounting options.

#10 WoodenPlank, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a photo handy, but it has the standard loop under the gas block and both a slot near the top and loop on the bottom at the end of the stock.

12. zagzig

zagzig
    Expand Collapse

If you don't want to spend a lot, the boonie packer 2 point adjustable sling can be had at redi-mag.com for around $20. It is a good sling especially for the money.

#12 zagzig, Feb 26, 2012
  13. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! The rifle in their link looks exactly like mine.

14. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

I ordered the sling zagzig recommended. I got the 1.5 inch version for $21.95 with free shipping. I figure that's "throw away" cheap enough if it turns out to totally suck. The reviews seemed pretty decent on it, though. Basically, I just want a sling for walking to/from targets here in the AZ desert and keep the rifle out of the dirt in general.

Now, any recommendations on a decent set of forward hand guard rails that aren't too expensive? I ordered some on Amazon that were $40, but they were heavy and didn't fit too well. Guess I'll have to up my price point on those. :rofl:

15. Manic

Manic
    Expand Collapse

I just ordered a sling for my AR a few days ago. It arrived yesterday, used it today while out shooting. May I recommend a Magpul ms3 and the Magpul ASAP mount.

I'm very happy with it, glad I spent the extra money and got a quality sling.

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Knight's Armament "blemish" M4 handguards, or Daniel Defense EZ-CAR. Either one will set you back about $150, but they are well worth the money.

The MS3 as a single-point is great if you're just on a range shooting for fun. When you start trying to shoot on the move, do handgun transitions, etc. they start to suck quickly. Even worse is how much noise the ASAP makes. I switched from the MS2/ASAP combo back to a VTAC 2-point and will not look back.

17. jrs93accord

jrs93accord
    Expand Collapse

TROY VTAC 2 Point Sling Wide (Non-Padded)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vickers Combat Applications 2 Point Sling (Blue Force)

[​IMG]

#17 jrs93accord, Feb 26, 2012
  18. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

Nice. What forward hand guard/rail system is that on the top rifle?

19. jrs93accord

jrs93accord
    Expand Collapse

Troy MRFC-DI that has been duracoated flat dark earth. It has built-in attachment points for QD sling swivels. Rail covers are MAGPUL XTMs.

20. dbarhsi

dbarhsi
    Expand Collapse

How much did that run, if you don't mind me asking?