close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Non-Expanding Hollow Points

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by re223, Nov 13, 2010.

1. re223

re223

Nov 21, 2009
    I've read online that many rifle bullets that are hollow point in design are not really meant to expand. Is this true? Why not just buy fmj at that point? Am I missing something? Thanks.

2. i remember reading something about them actually more accurate. thats how the open tip match bullets were accepted under the geneva convention for precision rifles. otherwise ,atch ammo would be fmj as well and thats usually not the case.

3. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    A lot of pistol bullets are the same way. Pushing the center of gravity further back in the bullet is supposed to make it more accurate. I went through about 5K of 180 gr Hp in my 40 last year. I liked them because I never had a feeding issue with them.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    A HP allows a few things for accuracy. It allows the base to be formed perfectly as the bullet is drawn towards the open end. So a FMJ, being open at the base, has imperfections on the base. The base is the most important part of the bullet.

Also, a HP allows the bullet to be longer for a given weight. This gives more bearing surface for better accuracy.

I'm just regurgitating what I read in my Hornady manual. It's an old manual, and at that time, they basically had two types of HP rifle bullets. Match, not to be used for hunting, and varmint bullets. The match HP were made for accuracy and not designed to expand reliably. They might fragment, expand perfectly, or not expand at all.

5. MrOldLude

MrOldLude

Jan 18, 2010
    That's logical. I knew there were reasons for target-HP ammo to be more accurate, but not exactly why. I had guessed it would be for some weird super-sonic aero reason, but the above makes more sense.

6. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    A few weeks ago someone posted a question like this on another reloading forum. This is one of the responses. I don't know if it's true or not, just showing what someone posted. It is a very interesting story.

7. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    So far the only HP rifle bullets I cannot get to expand, are the 7.62x39 hollow points.

I have fired them in water jugs, wet newspaper, sand, wet sand, etc... All I ever see the 7.62x39 HP's do, is have the tip of the bullet just get bent.

:cool:

8. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    At 4K+ fps, just about any match bullet blows up on a prarie dog !(Match Kings included!)

Long live the .220 Swift !

uncle albert

9. MrOldLude

MrOldLude

Jan 18, 2010
    If I could somehow accelerate a marshmallow to 4000 fps and then shoot a prairie dog, I'd expect to have similarly fatal results.

10. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Except the prairie dog remains would be stickier. :supergrin:

12. VN350X10

VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    True, but the BC on most marshmallows is really lousy.......
    and they wind-drift too bad.

uncle albert

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    While some match type HP rifle bullets may expand, it's not uniform or predictable. It's why they should not be used for hunting. WhiskeyT gavea good account of why the match HP is a better tool for extreme accuracy.