close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

No Refusal DWI Checkpoints

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Random, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random

Random AtticRat

May 27, 2001
    New Orleans
    My question would be "Did you have to hand over your papers, or did they send you straight on your way after ascertaining that you were not intoxicated?"

2. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Not a silppery slope. Driving, let alone driving drunk is not a constitutionally protected right. The 2A is.

No one is conducting a warrantless search, otherwise, you would be removed from your vehicle either by your own volition or by the assistance of law enforcement and your vehicle searched. That is not happening, is it?

Insuring that you have your proper licensing, registration, and insurance with you while engaging in a casaul conversation is not a warrantless search. Now, if you are committing a crime that is detected durring that inspection, that is on you.

Inspection stations exist, enforced by state police for commercial vehicles. Driving isn't a right, it is regulated.

3. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Did you read the blog piece?

4. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

http://www.duiblog.com/2005/04/15/

Its amazing, they couldnt arrest enough people on DUIs to get their grant money.

To add more to the story, the aftermath was many cases were dismissed or overturned based upon quotas.

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I am not saying DUI is not something that should be enforced. I am saying that checkpoints are wrong and not the most effective way of catching people.

The proper way is to stop people that you actually have probable cause to believe they are drunk. And no, just because someone comes out of a bar, is not reasonable suspicion. Now, if you spot them coming out of the bar, staggering, fire up the car, and have wide turns, etc, then you have it.

6. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Response?

7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

How do you measure deterrence?

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Which essentially means that the LEO and Judges accept BS as "probable cause". To translate this into real world speak, a cop just has to make up a reason.

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Projection.

10. Kevin108

Kevin108 HADOKEN!

Mar 2, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds like he's civilly displaying his discontentment with the violation of his 4th Amendment rights.

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I have never had an LEO refer to me by my properly title so why should I extend them the formality of calling them "sir"?

12. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Good manners.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

No. You are stupid to them and anything you say is BS because it contradicts that they ride in on white horses to save the day. Besides, you are not LEO so nothing you say is even true.

14. clancy

clancy

Feb 16, 2011
    Maybe you could answer your question yourself. I am still waiting for you to reply to my question from last night.

15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

How do you measure it? Show me data showing the city you work for has deterred drunk driving through check points.

You want to spend money on doing something. YOU need to prove its effective.

If I claim their are aliens (not the mexican types,the outspace types) and want funding to guard against their invasion, they need to prove aliens exist; I do not need to prove alines don't exist.

So, since you can't prove deterrence, then you are arguing that everything you do is hokus-pokus BS that cant be proven effective.

So show us data that you personally, as an LEO have had a deterrence to prevent DUI or murder and are actually earning your salary. Show us data.

If the company I work for asked me to show data of what i have accomplished, that is easy to do.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  16. By results.

How much have DUI deaths gone down per annum since the institution of roadblocks?

Is it a successful determent?

Is it, as random implied, a fishing expedition?

Measuring, of anything, is actually fairly easy.

It's just math.

Whether you like the results or not.

:dunno:

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Good manners go two ways. Call me by my formal title and you will receive the same.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

And a cop deserves no more or no less social courtesy than other people I deal with on a professional level.

Edit to add:
    I dont call the CEO of a multiple billion dollar company "sir"

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  19. I'm not reading 10+ pages, but in my county DUI checkpoint produce more arrest and citations for NON-DUIs period.

Checkpoint are poor at catching DUI drivers and does nothing but piss off the 8 out of 10 honest drivers. If DUI checkpoint where so effective, why doesn't the sheriff dept conduct them all of the time and not only around holidays?

Also keep this thought in mind, checkpoints are as silly as limiting a AR15 to 5 rounds. Just a feel good event :rofl:

20. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Since its just math, show us the data. Show us the regression analysis that correlates causation. Where is your data. Otherwise, you are just making crap up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.