close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"No one should have known" you CCW'd — "Being the Gray Man"

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sam Spade, Aug 21, 2011.

1. David Armstrong

David Armstrong
    Expand Collapse

That one was easy. Now can you explain the difference between a mope, aa dope, and a scrote!:tongueout:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

That was good, UtahIrishman. I believe people generally divert little attention to what is going on around them unless it is something as obvious as what you described. In that case, people may not be able to resist focusing on that person. That is likely to be good for everyone else. Conversely, someone that stands there on guard as this gentleman seems to have done might be someone I’ll scan a few more times that I would scan someone else to see if he is focusing on anyone in particular. I work at not being so obvious and may inadvertently miss something that he may not.

It happens when you go somewhere where there are police officers or guards, once you have identified them, if they are focusing on something, among the first instincts is to identify what caught their attention. Depending on what it is, it may map a direction you don’t walk toward while paying a little more attention at what they could have missed and/or the path with least traffic to the closest exit. They may have to stay to handle whatever problem arises, I certainly don’t.

It is ok (in my book) to let others do some of the work for me Johnny Rambo, security guards, officers, etc. Someone that is overtly focusing on someone else will get a little attention from me too, just not to the point where I lose sight of all else around me, quite the contrary.

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

You have no idea how much that pleases me. Did Russ put you up to posting this? (I kid on that last.)

humbleopus likes this.
  4. bsg1

bsg1
    Expand Collapse

#144 bsg1, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  5. bsg1

bsg1
    Expand Collapse

#145 bsg1, Aug 27, 2011
  6. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

Many of us (ok me) have a lot to learn, Sam. You have no clue how attentive I am of your posts and that of others that share what they know to improve our odds out there.

I liked this one for multiple reasons; one of them being that people watching is one of pastimes wherever I go, even before I started carrying. It has been interesting to give it multi-purpose and utilize it for something meaningful.

7. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

I can only wonder if the messages being sent and received were the ones intended.:rofl:

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

8. Misty02

Misty02
    Expand Collapse

:shocked: HEYYYY! What are you implying?!?

I had not noticed his facial features until I made direct eye contact and he was definitely not unpleasant to look at. In my defense, I didn’t know that until I allowed myself to focus on his face so I’m NOT taking the rap for sending the message you might be implying. So there! :embarassed:

#148 Misty02, Aug 27, 2011
    humbleopus likes this.
  9. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Me? Nooooo... No, really, no, I didn't, really!!

10. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman
    Expand Collapse
    BLR
    Silver Member

Small bills only please :rofl:

11. JohnHoliday

JohnHoliday
    Expand Collapse

hahaha, sorry, I guess its a location thing. Not used everywhere. I use it to refer to people that probably should be locked up, people that are in/out of jail all the time. Thugs, bandits, gangbangers, call them whatever you like.

Definition from Urban Dictionary.

" Mope
    A person of any race or culture that is: presenting themselves as uneducated (either by mannerisms or the clothing they are wearing). Plural = Mopes Mopes usually are up to no good and may have an extensive criminal record and a limited vocabulary.

(N) A person of lower socio-economic status that leeches off the greater good of society, is lazy and is normally involved in some sort of criminal activity."

#151 JohnHoliday, Aug 27, 2011
  12. Turk

Turk
    Expand Collapse

Every time I do "THE LOOK" my eight year old grand-daughter starts laughing hysterically! She says "you look funny grandpa". Maybe I need to practice?

humbleopus likes this.
  13. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

Good thread is still good.

Hey Russ, sticky perhaps?

14. jay-bird

jay-bird
    Expand Collapse
    goin' broke

There's a liquor store owner in my city who wears a GLOCK hat behind the counter.

I guarantee it works in his favor.

15. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Done, thanks for the reminder...:wavey:

16. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent
    Expand Collapse
    Rude Member

No problem. I would hate to see a thread with so much good info and insight get buried.

17. jellis11

jellis11
    Expand Collapse
    Yippee-ki-yay

i live at the beach and summer is usually the longest and hardest to carry during. flip flops, shorts, slim t-shirt. i usually carry a g26 with stock mag. my mags with extensions do print ((to me.) wife says she cant see, but i have better pom with stock). sometimes i do catch myself touching the shirt. usually after bending down or carrying the kiddo. the slim shirts are what makes it tough but if i alter to wide or larger i would feel uncomfortable and just not be me. lol thats why i got the nice new glock. my "springy" wasnt summer enough!

lots of times i have a backpack made by camelback. ditch the bladder and i have a water tight padded compartment right next against my back with the zipper starting on my strong side low position. perfect. and with the little man its a cool young dads diaperbag... complete with hg, reload, 2 knives, toys, diapers wipes, little first aid kid, snacks and camera. haha try to pick me out when im at the mall.

well... dont try, cause now its easy. crud...

18. bug

bug
    Expand Collapse

I have seen many a gray man give them selves away by trying to carry someplace they can not by law.

Example: I was at a amusement park last year that sells alcohol, and I watched a few people walk to the gate see the sign and turn back for there cars.
    now if some one else sees this they can figure on a few things.
    A: You now have no gun.
    B: They no where to find a unattended gun in a car.
    C: There is a good chance you will not be back to that car for a few hours.

Its best to know your laws as well as you can so don't give yourself away.

humbleopus likes this.
  19. smitty704

smitty704
    Expand Collapse

Great point

20. f350fiver

f350fiver
    Expand Collapse

This is good information. I appreciate the responses without a lot of joking. I hope to be carrying by the end of the year and this will help not make the rookie mistakes.