close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

No More 10mm Auto for me...

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by flyandscuba, May 3, 2013.

1. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    There was a story around a few years back where a handgun hunter went to Alaska for some brown bear. He took a S&W 500 mag on a sling for the hunt. IIRC, he had to shoot that monster grizz 9 or 10 times before it finally gave up the fight. Wow....

2. dm1906

dm1906 Retired SO

Sep 7, 2010
    PRK (Kalifornia)
    Yeah, story. On the internet, so it must be true.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of documented brown bear one-shot-drops with .41M, .44M, .45LC, .454C, .460SWM, and .500SWM. Many of the were HUGE. Since the beginning of recorded history, much lesser weapons have been used, successfully. If it takes 9 or 10 rounds of 500, someone was trying to save a rug. It would have required at least one reload, so the situation couldn't have been that dire after the first 5.

3. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/handgun-hunting-alaskan-brown-bear

You read and decide for yourself, Kreskin.

4. dm1906

dm1906 Retired SO

Sep 7, 2010
    PRK (Kalifornia)
    I meant no slight on you, but the "story". The article reads like a romance novel, not that I read romance novels. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that it's unique to the event, not the species or hardware. Unbelievable? Perhaps. Exaggerated? Most definitely. Maybe a tough kill, but not that tough. Too many things had to go wrong, to go that wrong. It's the exception, not the rule, if it happened.

5. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Jan 5, 2008
    That picture gives me a stiffy, I am building something like that now.

There is a lot of BS about stopping bears or elk or anything
    including people, CNS shots are #1 here, brain, neck and spine
    are what works and spine has to be at sholder or forward for best results.

Anything that can penetrate through those will work.