close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

  • Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

No longer stock colors for my boomsticks

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by megawatt, Oct 16, 2011.

  1. megawatt

    megawatt Electron maker

    146
    5
    Feb 2, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Cerakote desert sand with black skulls under the rips.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. mixflip

    mixflip

    6,825
    3
    Mar 4, 2009
    Cool. Skeletons just in time for Holloween!
     


  3. DFin

    DFin

    2,065
    0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Nice! I have both of those brooms too but yours look cooler!!
     
  4. Ride5C2

    Ride5C2

    78
    0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Florida
    I love that SPX look Megawatt, very good work!
     
  5. FH Alum

    FH Alum

    444
    0
    Jan 14, 2005
    Beaver State
    Nice, what kind of paint and technique did you use?
     
  6. megawatt

    megawatt Electron maker

    146
    5
    Feb 2, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Not my handiwork, it was done by a friend. He used cerakote - a brand of ceramic coatings used for firearms, exhaust and high wear applications. Think of it as a modern and improved version of durakote or gunkote.

    Originally the gun was basecoated in sniper grey and the skulls were done in a graphite black. This created about 300 skulls on the gun, kinda cool but in a "busy" way. The sling attachment was an afterthought and did not get painted to match.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Being out here in the desert I figured it would be better to go with a desert sand color (5 months after the fact). So we decided to cover 90% of the skulls and tape over a couple places that were the old skulls would remain visible. The final version appears as if skulls are behind the tears in the gun. And this time the single point sling attachment was already on the gun and got painted.

    Spray on the paint then two hours in a 200F degree oven and the coating is cured. I was a bit concerned about the speedfeed stock in the oven but it was a non issue.